The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

What are ya thoughts on E Digging?

Glad you asked,

Just so happens that I made a video about why I love to dig digitally and the process. I personally love eDigging. I sampled from vinyl when I first got started a few years ago, but stopped because the experience was frustrating for me. At the time I was too impatient to really learn the craft of knowing which artists to sample from, which genres to sample, etc. Plus, at the time I was broke as hell, in college and the only record store I could travel to was a ways away.

Over the past year I've been strictly digging digitally. I really don't see a downside. I can have any sample I want loaded and chopped in Maschine within 15 minutes. Someone above mentioned audio quality as an issue, but I normally add a lofi/bitcrushed texture to my samples anyway. But I still definitely respect the art of digging in crates.

Nothing like crate digging, it's a feeling you get when finding that record that you know will make magic. Although, being in this age of technology, the internet is your biggest crate. A very helpful way of finding samples is using pandora.com to find related artists. When you hear something you like, look into that artist and see if you can get access to the track.

Nothing like crate digging, it's a feeling you get when finding that record that you know will make magic. Although, being in this age of technology, the internet is your biggest crate. A very helpful way of finding samples is using pandora.com to find related artists. When you hear something you like, look into that artist and see if you can get access to the track.

That is a really good idea, I can listen to Pandora all day lol.

Word.
Please stop calling downloading "e-digging" or "digging"...that shit is insulting.

If it takes you all day to look for and download a movie/program is that digging too?:sigh:

^^^ This guy is SALTY, but the old heads always got something to say. Does really it matter where I got the record from?? In the end, all that matters is ----> is my shit banging???

Who cares if you got in your car, drove to the record store and picked up some old dusty ass vinyl covers?? In the end, I found a song that had a vibe I liked. I then took that song, sampled it into Maschine and chopped the pieces I wanted. How is what I'm doing any different? The results and concept are the exact same. Borrowing from the old, to create something new. Its Hip-hop. I'll call it whatever the F*CK I want to call it.

Last edited:
NEVER use whosampled... you'll feel defeated just knowing someones already used that sample, everyone likes the thrill in the hunt. your in the record store... your dusty, fingers and knees are sore from flipping through crates on the bottom... buy your records... take'em home listen to them... get hyped cause you found this crazy ill joint on the record... and then BAM!! go and check whosampled and your defeated........... 10 dudes have already used it. DONT USE WHOSAMPLED WHEN LOOKING AT SAMPLES your gonna loose your hype on the sample and then your not even going to use it.

What I suggest to beginners is, get your basic records/samples etc.. down... go to the record store and BUY out all the bob james, james brown, grover washington etc... and memorize them. when I say memorize them I dont mean the songs, I mean the artists that are featured on the tracks... "who's doing the flute on that track? oh its JLP." head back to the record store buy some JLP and do the same thing. "who's doing the guitar on this track? oh its gabor szabo"... its a gradual process but learning THE ARTISTS and YEARS is the best way to do it... and in time you'll be in the record store and it'll just be second nature to you. you'll walk in there and spend $200-300 but you'll be making educated decisions... and s**t sometimes you just have to use your spidey sense... the record wont have any rhyme or reason, you won't recognize anything, but your spidey sense is yelling at you to buy this record. just do it!

...go ahead and BORROW your favorite producers style, dont bite it though.... sh*ts weak...

NEVER use whosampled... you'll feel defeated just knowing someones already used that sample, everyone likes the thrill in the hunt. your in the record store... your dusty, fingers and knees are sore from flipping through crates on the bottom... buy your records... take'em home listen to them... get hyped cause you found this crazy ill joint on the record... and then BAM!! go and check whosampled and your defeated........... 10 dudes have already used it. DONT USE WHOSAMPLED WHEN LOOKING AT SAMPLES your gonna loose your hype on the sample and then your not even going to use it.

What I suggest to beginners is, get your basic records/samples etc.. down... go to the record store and BUY out all the bob james, james brown, grover washington etc... and memorize them. when I say memorize them I dont mean the songs, I mean the artists that are featured on the tracks... "who's doing the flute on that track? oh its JLP." head back to the record store buy some JLP and do the same thing. "who's doing the guitar on this track? oh its gabor szabo"... its a gradual process but learning THE ARTISTS and YEARS is the best way to do it... and in time you'll be in the record store and it'll just be second nature to you. you'll walk in there and spend $200-300 but you'll be making educated decisions... and s**t sometimes you just have to use your spidey sense... the record wont have any rhyme or reason, you won't recognize anything, but your spidey sense is yelling at you to buy this record. just do it!

...go ahead and BORROW your favorite producers style, dont bite it though.... sh*ts weak...

If you are using whosampled just to see if a beat was used then you are using it wrong. Look at it this way. Say you found a group called "joe smith" and you hear a dope cut from the song "hello" you look on who sampled and see it there. You mean you just stop and dont see what part was used? Thats dumb man. What if the other groups took only the first part but their is still an ill piano break that was not used up yet. Now you wont use it because your not sure what part of the song was used.

I used to have this mind set in 1991. Before there were sources to check out shit. Yor right about the bending knees, dusty hands (aww memories) but to not flip a sample because it was already used is not the right way to look at it. Hell Today by Tom Scott still has some ill shit that as far as I know has not been touched.

As I begginer digger I wanted to ask some questions. Due to my little budget, how should I pick up records? I mean, do You guys buy the record after listening to it at the store or just blindly trusting your instinct? And even if You listen to it and in the whole record You just find one nice loop, would You still buy the record? Even if You only have 5 seconds sample and the rest of the songs sucks? When records costs around 20-25 euros Im not sure what to do in that situation. I would love to go and buy like 5 records but then it will cost me a lot of money!

Dunno why it's like that but soul records from 60, 70, 80 are the same price that latest things like Frank Ocean, Nas etc. which is around 15-25 euros at my record store in Belgium - I guess I gotta find another one!

That ''Go through your families vinyl'' tip is priceless alot of samples can be found by doing this found that out through personal experience

Back