The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

My advice would be don't go for the obvious everytime when sampling. If you hear something you like that you want to sample, give it a chance and see where it leads. Sometimes i'll force myself to sample off of one record and just make something off of it. People get caught up in the "Oh it's gotta be funk, r&B, soul, etc." Nah man, that stuff is good too but it's played out if you aint really digging for the real stuff. Every man under the sun is sampling that same stuff unfortunately. Or maybe fortunately? because its slowly helping people progress to different sounds.

Last edited:
AH SHIT~!!! This is going to take awhile to get a hand of!
Damn tomorrow i have off though, so that means i am going to just sample and find shit to sample!

When you FIRST start digging, try to remove yourself from the "Quality over quantity" for the time being when looking for records. Pick 2-3 nearby record stores (if your lucky enough to have them) and go strictly for the dollar bins. Scrounge up maybe 10-20 dollars a week hit the stores. This gives you a lot of variety when making beats. (most like the gritty sound anyway)

Of course don't go by the quality over quantity rule when it comes to DIGGING. And also, ask fellow beat makers what their favorite groups are to sample from. Its one thing to ask a beat maker what kind of stuff he likes to sample, its another thing to ask what he does sample :D

I Love taking soul samples. i guess everyone else does too. but u can find quality samples in all different genres of music. one big mistake i made when first started sampling was when i would listen to a record and not find anyuthing thing i like i would just cast the record away. but sumtimes on the 3 rd or 4 th listen i might find sumthing or something might strike me in a different way.

alot of great advice...thanks, im a beginner in this area, i have a few samples on soundcloud i would like u all to check out

I'm new to crate digging but what works for me is looking at cover art. I find so many dope styles and sounds from people or groups I probably would have never heard of. A lot of thrift stores that I've been to have had some interesting records too. If it catches my eye, I'm picking it up.

Last edited:
What exactly is flipping? I assume this means taking some vocals or some aspect of a song and making your own new song? Essentially like remixing yeah?

I'm new to crate digging but what works for me is looking at cover art. I find so many dope styles and sounds from people or groups I probably would have never heard of. A lot of thrift stores that I've been to have had some interesting records too. If it catches my eye, I'm picking it up.

Yeah, that's an excellent strategy. I like psychedelic sounds, so its really easy to figure out what albums have the sounds I like to sample based on what the cover art looks like. Basically, if it looks like they were on drugs when they made the cover, I'll probably find some good samples on it lol.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

What exactly is flipping? I assume this means taking some vocals or some aspect of a song and making your own new song? Essentially like remixing yeah?

Flipping is basically sampling a small portion of a song and creating your own new arrangement out of it. Add some drums, some extra sounds on top of it, etc.

thanks for the tips. i dont have any grand parents basements to rummage through but i hit up yard sales and i might be watching a movie or something and hear some heat that catches my ears and ill watch the entire movie just for the credits unless its a dvd or something lol but yea theres always something everywhere keep your eyes and ears open

It is true that every song can't be sampled. Mainly due to the fact the song sounds perfect the way it is.

It is true that every song can't be sampled. Mainly due to the fact the song sounds perfect the way it is.

True. Nothing sounds worse than when a classic original is sampled into something that sounds terrible. On the flipside, sample-based music can be extremely creative and intelligently-designed if done correctly.

Back