Sample producers got no skill...

Blah blah blah, another attention seeking post full of people saying WTF and others (mostly jealous of people who can't sample) saying he's right. I honestly do both sample and compose. This is like me making a post and saying "doggystyle sucks, missionary is where its at." Some people like one more than the other....so why even try to argue with them or even more so create a post like this? Where's the unity in music production with people trying to clash. I'm done, I'm ignoring these crazy people.

Last edited:
CoGnAtIvEdIsSoNaNcE said:
This is like me making a post and saying "doggystyle sucks, missionary is where its at."

Well to be able to say something like that, you've got to actually have had sex. And I can tell by the way people word themselves that this is a forum where 97 % of the members are virgins.

Without sampling, most of us wouldnt be creating/ producing hip hop, because sampling is the earliest form of hip hop production. No Sampling = No Hip Hop production = No Hip Hop producers

soccerboy said:
Without sampling, most of us wouldnt be creating/ producing hip hop, because sampling is the earliest form of hip hop production. No Sampling = No Hip Hop production = No Hip Hop producers

shut up.

Mr Collipark >>> DJ Premier

orjanbeats said:
Well to be able to say something like that, you've got to actually have had sex. And I can tell by the way people word themselves that this is a forum where 97 % of the members are virgins.

Give me your address and i'll send you all my used jimmies for proof bro.;)

NephTop40 said:
yall are on this Bull**** again!!!

no this is an important discussion that needs to be taken once again. its only right that a topic like this gets 23 pages of discussion. because if you look at it, sampling really is talentless. look at somebody like soulja boy, who only makes original beats, hes a musical genius, man. then look at just blaze, i mean, what has he really done for hiphop? all he can do is rip other peoples shit and then sell it to jay-z so he can profit off it!!!!!

orjanbeats said:
look at somebody like soulja boy, who only makes original beats, hes a musical genius, man. then look at just blaze, i mean, what has he really done for hiphop? all he can do is rip other peoples shit and then sell it to jay-z so he can profit off it!!!!!

Is this a ****ing joke bro? I never knew anybody this ignorant in this world existed. Bring your original compositions and I'll teach you to never say this ridiculous **** again.

yeah yall are on this bull**** again?!? I wish some of you "original" producers will kill your pretentious attitudes...and no I don't sample who gives a fuk...not artist, not fans, not a&r's, not anyone but niggas that make beats without samples...just STFU...hip hop sux cuz the ppl that make it and comprise the fanbase are mostly pussies plan and simple...whining about the dumbest ish...yall more concerned with how a beat is made than how good the beat is...and while Im at let me add...yall are more concerned with a rappers personal life than whether or not hes a good artist
just STFU...and some of you dudes that make original ish its somebody looking at you and saying your not a real producer cuz you dont know music theory...so on and so forth...pretentious ego-centric BS...a niggas need to feel important or superior is what it comes down to, it aint about music, it displays a serious lacking of something in ones self

Sampling is a whole other genre to these young bucks who have no idea. like 9th wonder said, "there's hip hop for young people and hip hop for old people but i hate to see 30 yr old dudes dancing to young ****. that's like your 40 uncle doing the electric slide at your party...it just doesnt' match. and i agree with him. you guys that are old like me need to get on your game and the rest of you young bucks....i feel sorry for you cuz you'll never know real hip hop thru the radio. damn shame

Mako said:
Sampling is a whole other genre to these young bucks who have no idea. like 9th wonder said, "there's hip hop for young people and hip hop for old people but i hate to see 30 yr old dudes dancing to young ****. that's like your 40 uncle doing the electric slide at your party...it just doesnt' match. and i agree with him. you guys that are old like me need to get on your game and the rest of you young bucks....i feel sorry for you cuz you'll never know real hip hop thru the radio. damn shame
Great quote for my number one hip hop inspiration. Guy is an undebatble master and genius (NC REPRESENT!!!!).

To all of you nu-hip hop beat lovers taste this relatively old track by diplo.......

http://www.imeem.com/cabres/music/q_oRciB-/diplo_way_more/

Sampling and compostion done in the "hot" fast tempo/crunk style, yet (God forbid, or more like YOU forbid) this contains samples too. How can you disagree with this track you yougin' sample haters?!!! The composition is soooo wicked and the samples MAKE this beat what it is. I feel like what it is with you kids is that you purely want to disagree and hate with the old, just to be brand sounding, kinda like how kids these days HATE what music their parents listenend/listen to. I'm not one of you. I grew up with my parents driving around listening to the temptations, diana ross and the supremes, the delphonics , jesus even..... the beatles, the list goes on and on and on. Later on I began to not only love those concepts in music, but my taste branched out to what was new but relatively TALENTED!!!! I learned and listenend to all of the hip hop greats (Primo, jdilla, etc.) in the golden age of hip hop. I'll just skip the fact that I learned to play guitar by myself and piano by myself..... and get to when I got old enough to have my own computer to produce with. Voila.....whats was then hot and new sounding? Crunk, hyphy, dirty south, fast tempo ish.........and I saw some things I liked, as I always do embrace change, yet all I got from people while doing my own thing (COMBINING all the concepts of music, genre, and production into one) was "This ain't like lil jon", "This doesn't sound like what I hear on the radio", things never denying that I didn't have talent, but only proving people didn't have taste......they saw this new ish as a revolution. Yet four years later this stuff is sounding all alike and new producers or fans of this wave of hip hop are all popping up and saying "Sampling sucks......**** samplers". I think this is purely because they want to preserve a future in themselves and want to reject the past as keeping every CONSUMER glued to the new. What they do with people who've grown up and formulated their own good taste of things with a wide spectrum of knowledge with different music is alienate them and prove the new wave hip hop producers have no TALENT, and want to make sure those knowledgable people don't get ahead of them. It's like a manager of a corporation trying to prevent a rival company to do better than them. It's scare tactics, its running of the mouth, and its not slowing down anybody, but those who fall for it. Do your own thing and don't let these dumbasses/haters tell you what to do. I'm only using this massive spread of ignorance as an inspiration to make me be a leader of the next movement and make beats that will not only make the vetrans heads nod, but make people think "wtf am i doing hating on such old combined with new innovations" or "WOW, this is the sound of talent accumulated from years of listening, experience, and expertise." Nuff said.....

Last edited:
whats wrong with using loops, it still takes skill to make it sound right getting the right drums/bass over the loop etc. so many of the 'greats' use loops and if they didnt have talent then surly they wouldnt sell records. it may not be technical but it is talent!

bigfamily07304 said:
I disagree. If your talking Step in the arena era Primo, then yes it would be valid. But the fact of the matter is, if you didn't have Primo, the majority of producers would still be freaking Mind power and Sing a simple song. Primo can take the simplest elements of a joint and make something epic. While he may not be a deconstructionist ala Dilla, Stoupe, RJD2 etc., he's done some of the most memorable work ever. As a producer you have to give him his, alongside DRe, Marly, Larry Smith and Rick Rubin. That's the foundation of why we even have this forum. Get some respect or stay out of the forum.

TRUE! Every word of what this man just said is true~

Dissin' how others get down and make the sh!t knock is just stupid! It either knocks and gets your head knoddin' or it don't! Now, I realize everyone has a different style, and that's what makes it art, but if so many people say someone is the sh!t, then it must be true! Preemo (DJ Premiere) is on probably 90% or more of everyone's favorite or influencing producers list! That speaks volumes! So, if your gonna put someone skills down, try not doing it to a living legend!

PEACE

i think making og beats take more skill but theres plenty of dope sample based producers... i do feel like they need to step out the box tho and learn them keys... dudes like kanye will fall off the minute they run out of samples...

to be fair, kanye did start out making beats without samples....

but the point remains...decontexualising audio through sampling is a huge pool for creativity...look at artists like Amon Tobin....

its inspiring to hear him say that he is "still interested in taking parts of one song and making it into another"...this is how I feel....

however good I am I think I will always sample...

If I ever become too good I will sample myself...I already do in a way

but I mean actually pressing compositions to vinyl and then sampling the, ala Portishead

Im pretty good by my standard as far as programming beats is concerned. I started out doing my freestyle rap thing in 95'. I rocked my first stage in 96'. I got my first studio experience in 99' where I wrote and recorded my first record. I put out 2 LPs and several mixtapes since then. I got sick of having to rely on others for beats and the internet beat thing was getting old. I learned back in 2000 when the producer I was working with at the time gave me a Yamaha RY10. This little drum machine was my first piece of hardware and it put me on the path of programming beats. Im sure DJ General J aka DJ SLIM of Empire Recordings and SILLY CREW fame knew he was planting a seed by giving me that machine. I learned the funamentals of pattern making and pattern chaining from that piece of equipment.

I dabbeled with software like FL and other music programs but never really took to it because I was more farmilliar with hardware from watching SLIM in the studio. Every aspect of the music making process intrigued me. From the beat making to recording to Mastering, I watched everything going on around me and made sure to ask a trillion questions. I was lucky cuz SLIM didnt see me as a threat so he showed me all the things I wanted to know from an experienced producers stand point.

Because he's traveled the world and is well known internationally for his electronic Techno and Rave Drum and Bass music and his Silly Crew members were well know turntableists ie. DJ TWYST, KAM, and others, he had a wide array of skills but did mainly beat programming via the KORG Triton and other Keyboards. I had never heard of an MPC until I heard that Dr. Dre used them alot.
Now I'm a little more experienced but have not developed the full range of skills that I desire as far as beat making is concerned.

DJ SLIM knows my rap skills and constantly makes new styles of beats to challenge my creative writing and delivery skills but I feel that if I produce or learn the skills in production to make me a good beat maker I can make even better and fuller music because I can make beats speciffically for the sound I want to make. Producers can make a beat and know what type of artist or sound they're aiming for, but if I make my own beats I can really test my own skills creatively and get EXACTLY the end result I'm looking for as an artist.

I said all that on this thread about sampling because thats an area that I know nothing about. I want to learn to sample so that I can make any type of beat. I love soul and old school music as Im an 80's baby. I grewe up on Californias Electro Rap and the gangsta, soul based,disco influenced rap on the west coast in the 90s. I was amazed by the sampling going on during the 90's as well. The Wu Tang ish was the most impressive to me but I was also feeling the Beatnuts. I don't want to limit myself in any aspect of beat making. I collect music of all genres and would love to add classical or soul or even new music to my arsenal by way of sampling. I know about jacking drums and intsruments and creating kits but I'm ignorant to the process of making beats using samples. I will be investing in a MPC soon because I think they are amazing machines. I used to have an MV-8000 but I sold it because I was more farmilliar with keyboards and bought a MOTIF ES8 which also has sampling capabilities. I havent learned to use the sampling functions yet as the MOTIF is not an easy piece of equipment to master and it helps to have an experienced user show you the many many ropes available.

I see that alot of the sampling that goes on happens either on an MPC, Roland MV, or Fruity Loops. I would appreciate any advice, help or reccomendations as to how and why certins methods or formats are better. Like I said I believe that all aspects of the music making process are important to my development as a musician and I want to learn it all. ALSO I HAVE SONY SOUND FORGE 7 or 8 for TRADE FOR A FULL WORKING VERSION OF FL!!

PeRcUzZiOn

FuGiTiVe beatz

Back