Reason 4?

rando said:
I have'nt used the full version of reason...but I've used the demo...judging by it and pics of the squencer.......it does look like garbage.
ur opinion holds about as much weight as a pregnant nun's opinion on faith

I used to use cubase and outside of the extra midi features and the audio options i didnt see a big difference in Cubase's sequencer. I have yet to hear why people dislike reason's sequencer besides for the fact that u cant sequence other hardware in it and u cant record audio. whats the real beef with reason's sequencer

Cubase. Developed for 20 years to be arguably one of the best sequencers in the world, with every option and feature known to man and leaving precious little to be desired.

Reason. According to the Props, it "almost didn't make it into Reason 1". It was added at the last minute. It never got updated for 6 years and counting and after 5 years, the Props downgraded the whole product from "studio" to instrument. Ex-employee, Fred, says that Reason has more in common with a VSTi than Cubase (he specifically said Cubase to make his point). He went on to point out how the sequencer barely deserved that title and that it was so basic that he can't understand why people don't see that Reason is more of an instrument than a sequencer.

Is there any real difference between these two sequencers? Hmmm. Is that a trick question?

L. A. Stone said:
Cubase. Developed for 20 years to be arguably one of the best sequencers in the world, with every option and feature known to man and leaving precious little to be desired.

Reason. According to the Props, it "almost didn't make it into Reason 1". It was added at the last minute. It never got updated for 6 years and counting and after 5 years, the Props downgraded the whole product from "studio" to instrument. Ex-employee, Fred, says that Reason has more in common with a VSTi than Cubase (he specifically said Cubase to make his point). He went on to point out how the sequencer barely deserved that title and that it was so basic that he can't understand why people don't see that Reason is more of an instrument than a sequencer.

Is there any real difference between these two sequencers? Hmmm. Is that a trick question?
What is it that people need in a sequencer besides the ability to sequence notes which reason does just fine. Its basic but its really all you need people complain about having a million and one features that arent needed and call it inferior because it doesnt have it. Piano roll also. I just need to be able to move notes quickly. Where did you find that quote? I bet there is more to the interview than what you posted.

Sqito said:
+ I bet you guys will be willing to pay another 300 bucks just for an update worth some more presets and a new synth in it arentcha?

Why not? (and it was only $80.00 for me to upgrade where do you get 300 from?) $300 was for those that didn't have reason to begin with

Shouldn't matter what the update is going to cost unless of course you aint making **** from it.The only people i ever see complaining are those that don't make their so called investments pay for themselves

Last edited:
Reason's a sound module above all. I used to plug my MPC up to it, make the whole song on my MPC's sequencer. I think if you're a hardcore reason fan whining about the sequencer, you should throw away your midi controller, go get a cheap MPC, DJX, MC-303, Casio Keyboard or some type of cheap hardware sequencer. Or learn to rewire.

It was originally invented as an alternative to rack sound modules. You don't hear anyone saying their Motif Rack's sequencer sux, lol.

If you own Reason 3.0 and the Sonic Refills Collection you're paying around $650 for a library of sounds that easily matches if not surpasses just about every other rompler rack on the market.

You can also load samples into it, so you get a sampler as well.

Last edited:
Xabiton said:
What is it that people need in a sequencer besides the ability to sequence notes which reason does just fine. Its basic but its really all you need people complain about having a million and one features that arent needed and call it inferior because it doesnt have it. Piano roll also. I just need to be able to move notes quickly. Where did you find that quote? I bet there is more to the interview than what you posted.

I love these types of debates. Ultimately I learn a thing or two by reading these.

i see ppl are extremly immature in these threads... it all depends on what u like and if u dont like it oh well dont use it but we can care less for those opinions of ppl that dont use it... i use both and think neither compare to tracking in pro tools...

rando said:
I haven't used the full version of reason...but I've used the demo...judging by it and pics of the sequencer.......it does look like garbage.

Untrue, if you understand it becomes easy. Or actually it is easy like BiG Rome said. All your doing is copy and pasting like you would do with Acid. It just looks deceiving but it's real easy.

Last edited:
I would like a time-stretcher in Reason samplers too. If they add that to the NN-XT, then that device kills anything thrown at it.

Xabiton said:

I found that interview with the Props main guy in Computer Music. The one where they said, "the sequencer almost didn't make it into Reason". The rest of the comments are on the Props forum but you'll have to do a search to find them. I wonder what more do you think there is to a plain and simple statement like that on top of the fact that everything they've done with Reason in the last 6 years has been totally not focused on Reason as a sequencer. Only on Reason as an instrument. Now they're officially calling it an instrument on the box! What more do you need to read? And to say that people don't need this feature or that feature is just plainly wrong. I need what I need. You need what you need. Cubase is trying to accommodate us both. Reason is not accommodating either of us if you need anything beyond the most basic features. They're instead telling us, "Reason is an Instrument". If you need a quote for that, it's on every box of Reason, on their website, and on all of their advertising since Reason 3. The take home message is, Instruments don't need built in sequencers so they've been ignoring the one they put in Reason for 6 years.

L. A. Stone said:
I found that interview with the Props main guy in Computer Music. The one where they said, "the sequencer almost didn't make it into Reason". The rest of the comments are on the Props forum but you'll have to do a search to find them. I wonder what more do you think there is to a plain and simple statement like that on top of the fact that everything they've done with Reason in the last 6 years has been totally not focused on Reason as a sequencer. Only on Reason as an instrument. Now they're officially calling it an instrument on the box! What more do you need to read? And to say that people don't need this feature or that feature is just plainly wrong. I need what I need. You need what you need. Cubase is trying to accommodate us both. Reason is not accommodating either of us if you need anything beyond the most basic features. They're instead telling us, "Reason is an Instrument". If you need a quote for that, it's on every box of Reason, on their website, and on all of their advertising since Reason 3. The take home message is, Instruments don't need built in sequencers so they've been ignoring the one they put in Reason for 6 years.
I would much rather them continue to create more instruments and fx. The sequencer is fine. I could use Reason 3 for the rest of my life and be totally happy with it. I like to try other things to see if there is something I am missing out on but I don't use the extra features I find in other software anyway. Give me soundforge and reason and Im straight.

I saw a commercial last week saying they are adding a movie editor, wav editor, and plus you will be able to record live into Reason 4, which is coming 2011 with no upgrades made possible, everyone paids a full price of $1250. Reason 4 has a new design to it, kind of looks like fruity loops. Reason 4 also has it's own soundcard that you must have to use it and it is sold seperately for $2500. To use Reason 4 you gotta spend $3750 + an additional $2000 for the password to rewire Reason with any other software.:D

Think that's f'ed up, you should've heard what they said about Pro Tools 8.:D

Yall know I'm just B.Sin witcha.LOL

If I get 2.5 and upgrade to 3.0 soon after I get it (I got connections) will I be a loser since 4 might come out soon??? I don't like the feeling of being versions behind for some reason....:D

Foreal, have yall heard of pro Reason for the xbox 360 and PS3? Me either.LOL:D
Sorry, the thought popped in my head:p

Back