Please Vote: Pro Tools LE 7.4 / Cubase 4.1 / Logic Studio 8.0.1 / Reason 4 / Other

Please choose your preferred DAW(s) amongst the 3 latest:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NoVA Entertainment said:
How is Sonar 7 not listed up there? The only ones that really should be listed are Cubase, Logic, Reason and Sonar. Live is powerful too...why the heck is Protools on there? Cuz of the name? lol

I've never used a version of Protools LE that ever came close to competing with the abilities of the programs listed above...The only time protools has been useful for me was when I used the real thing...ProTools HD. If you're using LE you're just limiting your production abilities by not upgrading to one of those other DAWs.

Who knows, maybe the ones who use protools LE just two-way their beats and slap on some vocals haha. (I know it can do a lot more than that. I'm just sayin it's a ways away from the other DAWs capabilities)
I don't see how Reason fits in or how Pro Tools would not. I think your talkin out ur ass on this one

:irony:
again, a very useful thread on FP...
:irony:

what is the best object around?

- pizza
- screwdriver
- computer
- car

please help me!

seriously, you can make top ten hits with the windows recorder. why do such strange peach and apples threads come up daily on FP? 100 posts of absolute useless and contradictory "information" will not help anyone. 50% of all threads on FP start or end with "what's the best".

are really so many guys insecure about their own skills? the artist makes the track, not the tool. every good carpenter can build a nice table, no matter what hammer he uses (he could even use a stone instead of a hammer - the result would be EXACTLY the same).

of course there's a perfect tool for every situation, but there's no "better" in general.

Last edited:
Xabiton said:
I don't see how Reason fits in or how Pro Tools would not. I think your talkin out ur ass on this one

I don't know, maybe I am lol. Either way, I just think Reason as a whole is a more usefull program to someone looking to do everything in one place nice and smoothly. Maybe if Protools had more channels and a step sequencer. Or does the 7.4 version have both of that? Haha I don't know anymore. I've just stopped paying attention to LE. I decided to stick with Sonar until I build up enough for Protools HD.

BTW, why wouldn't reason fit in? I think most of the producers on here are doing hip hop from what I've gathered and I've heard nothing but good things and have seen nothing but good things from Propellerheads. Every one of these programs have their drawbacks but I think if you learn all of them, you'll find the good always outweighs the bad in each. It's just a question of what fits to you and it just seems like more often than not, including with the pros that Reason 4/Protools HD ends up being the combo when it comes to hip hop production, which like I said seems to be the majority here.

So yeah, that's me talkin' out of my ass again, but still my opinion on the subject haha. Hope that clarifies it for ya.

Guenon said:
Wouldn't it make most sense to list all potential software packages? If only a few "should" be listed, the poll is not as good as it could be.

There are many software packages missing from this poll, like it usually goes.

...All potention software is listed up there...the "Other" category covers that. I'm just sayin that Sonar 7 is in the same league as the ones that are typed out, therefore it "should" have been instead of being considered a minority product which is the impression I get from it not being listed...don't really care, just thought it would have been logical haha

Last edited by a moderator:
NoVA Entertainment said:
I don't know, maybe I am lol. Either way, I just think Reason as a whole is a more usefull program to someone looking to do everything in one place nice and smoothly. Maybe if Protools had more channels and a step sequencer. Or does the 7.4 version have both of that? Haha I don't know anymore. I've just stopped paying attention to LE. I decided to stick with Sonar until I build up enough for Protools HD.

BTW, why wouldn't reason fit in? I think most of the producers on here are doing hip hop from what I've gathered and I've heard nothing but good things and have seen nothing but good things from Propellerheads. Every one of these programs have their drawbacks but I think if you learn all of them, you'll find the good always outweighs the bad in each. It's just a question of what fits to you and it just seems like more often than not, including with the pros that Reason 4/Protools HD ends up being the combo when it comes to hip hop production, which like I said seems to be the majority here.

So yeah, that's me talkin' out of my ass again, but still my opinion on the subject haha. Hope that clarifies it for ya.
The focus of the programs are totally different. Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Live ect. were created to be entire studios. Reason while can be used standalone clearly was meant to be used as an addition to the rest of ur rig. Simply put Reason is an instrument just like Hypersonic, Coloussus, an mpc or a motif. These other programs are audio recorders that give u the option of using instruements inside. U r talking from a beatmakers perspective. and most of these companies aren't concerned with cats who only make and think about beats.

Xabiton said:
The focus of the programs are totally different. Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Live ect. were created to be entire studios. Reason while can be used standalone clearly was meant to be used as an addition to the rest of ur rig. Simply put Reason is an instrument just like Hypersonic, Coloussus, an mpc or a motif. These other programs are audio recorders that give u the option of using instruements inside. U r talking from a beatmakers perspective. and most of these companies aren't concerned with cats who only make and think about beats.

...I did say Reason/Protools HD combo right? Anyway, yeah I agree.

The bottom line is pro tools, logic, sonar and cubase all do very similar things! if u can use 1 you can use em all! sorry to use that old cliché but its not what sequencer you use its the sounds and the way you put them sounds together!

Ive got to say though i dont understand why people use reason! it dont even have recording capabilities and the sounds are ****!...its so restricting! its good for the beginner but anything after that i think its really not a good option!

NoVA Entertainment said:
...I did say Reason/Protools HD combo right? Anyway, yeah I agree.
Why r u bringing combos into this. Reason works with all of these programs kind of making it irrelevant. Also because the subject at hand is talking about Pro Tools LE.

JonnyGizzle said:
The bottom line is pro tools, logic, sonar and cubase all do very similar things! if u can use 1 you can use em all! sorry to use that old cliché but its not what sequencer you use its the sounds and the way you put them sounds together!

Ive got to say though i dont understand why people use reason! it dont even have recording capabilities and the sounds are ****!...its so restricting! its good for the beginner but anything after that i think its really not a good option!
Reason is the sh*t if u know wtf ur doing with it just like anything else lol. Now if u need ur sounds prebuilt and u r only working with presets then yes u may hate reason but if u know how to build patches and work with them then Reason will be the sh*t for u. Also I don't understand why people use Reason standalone.

Last edited:
If you go back and read my other posts (you don't have to) I was saying how IMO protools is lacking unless you're using Protools HD. That's the only reason I brought up using Reason in combination with Protools. I wasn't saying it should be listed as one of the choices up there...just explaining my reasoning for not using Protools LE.

Whatever floats ur boat I guess. I find Pt LE to be just fine. Then agan I don't want the bells and whistles and all that crap I keep what I do very simple.

I've thought about switching back to protoolsLE a number of times...I've just gotten too accustomed to the Sonitus FX in Sonar (Vocals). I know how to produce the sound quality i'm looking for with them fairly quickly.

Hi Jiten!

What does Nuendo do that Cubase doesn't?

Here is list of some of the additional features, as of May 13 2005.

* Up to 10.2 surround sound
* Up to 192k in / 384kHz out Audio recording
* Network Collaboration
* DeClicker PlugIn - Audio Restoration
* DeNoiser PlugIn - Audio Restoration
* TestGenerator PlugIn
* MultiScope PlugIn - Oscilloscope, FFT, Phase,
Jelly-Fish surround sound view
* Mix 8 to 2 PlugIn for Surround Mixdown
* Optional Panner PlugIns for Surround Sound
* Alternate Key Command Sets
* AES-31 Support
* Premier Generic EDL Support
* Open TL 3.0 support
* Edit Mode for syncing events and fades to picture
* Insert Event into Project at Timecode position
* Track Sheet Printing
* Direct import support for M1V (mpeg1) and M2V(mpeg2) as well as VOB(DVD ripped mpeg2).
* ID Controller support
* TimeBase support - professional synchronizer
* Sony 9-Pin support with Nuendo as master
* Dolby Pro-Logic (Dolby Analog)
* Encoder / Decoder
* Support for Dolby Digital (AC3)
* Encoder / Decoder
* Support for DTS Encoder / Decoder
* Advanced Crossfade Editor
* Save Offline Process as Batch
* Online Recording Mode - auto punch
in/out when receiving Timecode
* Display Film Formats in Timeline
(Feet and Frames for 16mm and 35mm Film)
* Audio warp to picture
* Scrubbing video via System Link
* Ability to control video playback speed
* A Pull up/down 0.1% option is included in the QuickTime video player as well as the new DirectX player for adjustable speed of the video playback, allowing video files that have passed an NTSC Telecine process to be readjusted to match the original audio recordings.

Hope this helps ;-)

Cubase. I get good workflow results out of Cubase. Pro Tools... I have trouble making things happen in a timely manner. However it may just be from a lack of me using it often.

It depends what you are using it for. For me as a producer I use Nuendo (which is basicaly Cubase although not ver. 4). I aslso use reason but not a big fan of it. Im more contempt with my VSTs. For mixing and strictly studio work I stay on PT. Although I HATE the LE versions. But I even have my shortcuts programmed as Pro Tools in my Nuendo so I know what Im doing in the studio.

i think of protools as more of a recording program not really a DAW in my mind, cibase is where it is at my dude, ive been working with it for 2 years, check out my music at myspace.com/keyflomuzik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back