Opinions on skrillex?

I've been with him before he released scary monsters. Back when his best song was slats slats slats.
Give the guy a break, he's a legend.

Skrillex is without a doubt dubstep, but he is a much more melodic/dancy style of dubstep, which is why the hardcore London dubstep fans hate him. He took what was once nothing but wobble and drums with a few vocal samples thrown in, to a much more technical level, and it worked very well for him. People always hate those that are successful, so naturally this was the result. I like his music, I've seen him twice in concert, but I'm getting a little tired of him. All his stuff sounds the same now. He is still using the same synths he made 2 years ago. He needs to dump that Ableton project he always uses and start fresh with some new sounds.

Skrillex isn't a Legend nor a Genius, he just had the right connections from his past experiences in the whole "punk rock" scene. He didn't know what to call his music so he used "dubstep" even though dubstep is very old. Dubstep uses LOW, I ****ING SAID LOW, LOW basslines, and somewhat heavy drums. Skrillex made the fake sub-genre of Brostep, an Americanized version of dubstep with high pitched basslines and way too much drums.

Here is some prime examples of the original dubstep straight from the UK:

Skrillex is all right but I never listen to his tracks. Never did, actually. But I respect him and his work though...it's just that I'm interested in completely other stuff. I can't stand Skrillex haters though, it's like hating James Cameron for Titanic or something :D

Skrillex is like the Tiesto of Dubstep, very very commercial. I don't listen to a whole of Dubstep myself, but I do know that there is a lot better Dubstep artists out there.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with Tiesto, I am a fan, but I was just using it as an analogy.

VinteK

Dubstep, brostep, complextro, hardstep, lovestep. F$%^kkkkkkk i dnt care if he is not dubstep or what, i just am getting tired of all the side genres people keep naming . Im glad he's labled dubstep though , so all the haters keep hating

I like breathing, but I guess it's to mainsteam :(
Yeah sounds stupid right?
This dude did take dubstep to a whole new level. Not sure if that's the right direction for dubstep though.
Kinda liked it better when it was underground.
Back to the point: Skrillex came up with some grimy big sounds and still is coming up with more.
Nevertheless, feels like this is all temp. Soon it will be over.

Anybody got popular classic dubstep tracks to drop?

I'm only familiar with the "commercialized" dubstep out in the last few yrs.
Starting to want to look into the "classic" dubstep.

Last edited:
The first time I ever heard something by Skrillex, (before I knew anything about Skrillex ) it got my attention and held it. I think I kept listening just to see what was going to happen next. Personally, I like some of what he does.

I agree with the above statement that his music might just be a fad, but guys like him and even dillon francis make some pretty crazy stuff which is complex as hell to replicate

I can see him making new-age hip-hop beats for upcoming rappers (like bangarang for example) I can totally picture someone rapping over that

who knows really!

Skrillex is all right but I never listen to his tracks. Never did, actually. But I respect him and his work though...it's just that I'm interested in completely other stuff. I can't stand Skrillex haters though, it's like hating James Cameron for Titanic or something :D

Okay now I have to get in on this Action cause I am a movie music buff, on top of doing House Music Production and A&R'ing. First of all James Horner is prophetic and enthralling in his music, hate Titanic all you want, but the guy all did the Aliens Soundtrack, Braveheart, Williow, Krull, Star Trek Wraith of Khan, Clear and Present Danger, Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13 and about 100 other Soundtracks. While I am a Skrillex fan and a Dubstep fan, and even a Drum'n Bass fan, Skrillex is hated on cause Drum'n Bass heads are haters by nature. A lot of the young Drum'n Bass guys that I know always hate (even in their own genere) as soon as something hits that people like. This self defecation of a style just leaves me outright wondering why people hate each other so much for trying to progress? Especially when its the thing that they are trying most to accomplish themselves, Art that sustains a living, and leaves a dance-floor wanting for more? For the haters out there, you'll probably never be a good dj or producer cause your too busy paying attention how to unlike someone rather then figuring out how to create mad wining vibe on the dancefloor, or how to appreciate what someone did really well to top it off yourself. Positive and Sexy always dominate a dance floor. Whining and hating always equal an empty dance floor and worst of all a bad vibe...

He is huge in the UK. Not personally a fan but I like some of the music, not really sure what he's like as a person though?

Benga, Chase and Status, Skream, Bassnectar (if you want to consider that classic), Rusko and Caspa. These are the more known classic Dubstep producers.

Skream, Benga, Caspa, Rusko, etc... anything by them in the earlier 2000's is classic, and is REAL dubstep.

Benga, Chase and Status, Skream, Bassnectar (if you want to consider that classic), Rusko and Caspa. These are the more known classic Dubstep producers.

Back