Online Diggin' & Sampling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why certain cats really want to give e-digging a compared stance to actually "Digging"... most of what they find... is FREE.
Most who actually "dig"... take the extra effort to go to flee markets, goodwills, conventions, record stores, etc.. Not only do you have to spend some loot, but it actually requires... a detective type stance to find obscure locations for gems.
Even when it comes down to knowing the artist, group, cover art, or label info... you don't necessary get that on these "downloads". The other aspect of true "digging" is being a collector. It may be easier to manage an mp3, but the value is trash. It's like... having a comic book or baseball card when you were young... and you trashed it, just to later on say (when you're older) "damn, I had a goldmine... but I couldn't see the value back then!"

The dumbest part about the way "some" cats e-dig... they just keep on downloading SHAREWARE files like that's some identity protection proof technique, when in fact... anything on that particular drive can be subjected to theft... but, that and the risk of being nailed and hit with a crazy fine... is peanuts right?

E-digging is a game of "financial chance"(the common way that most of you do it) At least be honest about it and stop trying to blow smoke up peoples backside. You cats know what it really is...

that's just my opinion

Last edited:
MADMIXA the DJ said:
I can see why certain cats really want to give e-digging a compared stance to actually "Digging"... most of what they find... is FREE.
Most who actually "dig"... take the extra effort to go to flee markets, goodwills, conventions, record stores, etc.. Not only do you have to spend some loot, but it actually requires... a detective type stance to find obscure locations for gems.

I dig online cause I don't have an interface yet, and I need a new needle. And LOL @ spend some loot.. yeah, I e-dig because I wanted to save FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS buyin records in the dollar bin.

You know, I can actually understand why some of ya'll would have this ridiculous stereotype on online digging. Most people who do it don't even attempt to make their track sound authentic, and go for the same samples that everyone else has cause they're too lazy to do some REAL searching.... but ya'll underestimate the internet. Yeah, there's a lot on vinyl that's not online, and I would actually PREFER to sample from vinyl if I were able to at the moment, but with some "detective type" knowledge of the web you can find plenty of hidden treasure. It's not always easy, but as long as the final product is dope, that's all you should be concerned about as a listener.

So let me get this straight... You can make a beat with software, and have it still be considered "hip-hop music," but you can't sample an mp3, and have it be considered "digging?"

smh @ anyone who disagrees with me and tells themselves that they have love for the music itself.

Last edited:
decaturpolice said:
I dig online cause I don't have an interface yet, and I need a new needle. And LOL @ spend some loot.. yeah, I e-dig because I wanted to save FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS buyin records in the dollar bin.

You know, I can actually understand why some of ya'll would have this ridiculous stereotype on online digging. Most people who do it don't even attempt to make their track sound authentic, and go for the same samples that everyone else has cause they're too lazy to do some REAL searching.... but ya'll underestimate the internet. Yeah, there's a lot on vinyl that's not online, and I would actually PREFER to sample from vinyl if I were able to at the moment, but with some "detective type" knowledge of the web you can find plenty of hidden treasure. It's not always easy, but as long as the final product is dope, that's all you should be concerned about as a listener.

So let me get this straight... You can make a beat with software, and have it still be considered "hip-hop music," but you can't sample an mp3, and have it be considered "digging?"

smh @ anyone who disagrees with me and tells themselves that they have love for the music itself.
C'mon bro... let's have straightup, honest talk! IF SITES LIKE "LIME****" PUT A PRICE TAG ON THOSE DOWNLOADS, MOST OF THESE DUDES WOULD BE 'STUCK ON STUPID'. You know it... and I know it. Beat software has a price tag on it(unless it's been passed on, just as cheesy as an illegal download)... so, how can you compare something you purchase to something you don't?
You can laugh about a measily $5.00 but, do you honestly believe those that have built their library's from shareware downloads... have even the drive to purchase the music they sample? I know quite a few cats that rely soley on illegal downloads. Getting them to quit... is like trying to pry the pipe from a fiend. Ask these dudes on here(take a poll)... "how many of you use illegal sources for their sound libraries"... including the "DJ's"... and you might see an obvious truth.(if cats want to be real with it)
There are cats on here... right now... that would take a chance in getting some f**ked up virus, that could wipe out their whole system and work... rather than using their brain and getting what they need legally. Do you honestly think these dudes have the loot and dedication to "invest" in their craft like that? (you know the answer to that one too) E-whatever has created a false sense of security... and it'll take a mass group of people to get burned for mf's to get the point.(I'm going to be the brother that'll see it on the news and say,"mf's will never learn.")
It's not a stereotype to point out legitimate concerns or threats. It's foolish to promote a practice, if you don't highlight the risks and consequences that goes along with the territory. Some of you cats are really fishing for validation and justification for "freeloading"... and the attempts to put e-digging under the thumb of hiphop is a damn shame, especially when non hiphop producing people have the same practice of downloading jacked music. If someone took your music from your SC page or your My Space... and put it on Limewierd... I bet you wouldn't think that was 'digging'. You would be on here... starting a thread on 'how you were jacked'.

'The thing that can make you laugh... can also make you cry.' - old proverb

just my opinion...

Last edited:
look man i dunno what all that mumbo jumbo talk was about virus' n ****. u mad cuz people are steeling? but look i just have fun with music, i make hip hop cuz i love it and its a hobby and no i dont have time and money to spend on records! thats the whole point! but one day i will get into records especcialy if i ever sell a beat

MADMIXA the DJ said:
C'mon bro... let's have straightup, honest talk! IF SITES LIKE "LIME****" PUT A PRICE TAG ON THOSE DOWNLOADS, MOST OF THESE DUDES WOULD BE 'STUCK ON STUPID'. You know it... and I know it. Beat software has a price tag on it(unless it's been passed on, just as cheesy as an illegal download)... so, how can you compare something you purchase to something you don't?
You can laugh about a measily $5.00 but, do you honestly believe those that have built their library's from shareware downloads... have even the drive to purchase the music they sample? I know quite a few cats that rely soley on illegal downloads. Getting them to quit... is like trying to pry the pipe from a fiend. Ask these dudes on here(take a poll)... "how many of you use illegal sources for their sound libraries"... including the "DJ's"... and you might see an obvious truth.(if cats want to be real with it)
There are cats on here... right now... that would take a chance in getting some f**ked up virus, that could wipe out their whole system and work... rather than using their brain and getting what they need legally. Do you honestly think these dudes have the loot and dedication to "invest" in their craft like that? (you know the answer to that one too) E-whatever has created a false sense of security... and it'll take a mass group of people to get burned for mf's to get the point.(I'm going to be the brother that'll see it on the news and say,"mf's will never learn.")
It's not a stereotype to point out legitimate concerns or threats. It's foolish to promote a practice, if you don't highlight the risks and consequences that goes along with the territory. Some of you cats are really fishing for validation and justification for "freeloading"... and the attempts to put e-digging under the thumb of hiphop is a damn shame, especially when non hiphop producing people have the same practice of downloading jacked music. If someone took your music from your SC page or your My Space... and put it on Limewierd... I bet you wouldn't think that was 'digging'. You would be on here... starting a thread on 'how you were jacked'.

'The thing that can make you laugh... can also make you cry.' - old proverb

just my opinion...

Oh really, you think your favorite producer would pass up on the best sample he ever heard because it was an mp3?

Or do you think some artist from the seventies would be mad that you didn't spend 5 bucks on the vinyl when you pay them THOUSANDS to clear the sample?

Better yet, lots of these artists getting sampled haven't recieved money off of "sales" in YEARS. Do you think if you're buying vinyl from some old shop, you're somehow helping the artist in any way?

There is no right or wrong way to "dig" or make hip hop music period. If you feel so high and mighty because you dig the traditional way, then you should introduce yourself to actual musicians and ask them how much of an "art" they think sampling is.

So in closing i say USE ALL RESOURCES!!!!!!!!

Scratch n Beat said:
Oh really, you think your favorite producer would pass up on the best sample he ever heard because it was an mp3?

Or do you think some artist from the seventies would be mad that you didn't spend 5 bucks on the vinyl when you pay them THOUSANDS to clear the sample?

Better yet, lots of these artists getting sampled haven't recieved money off of "sales" in YEARS. Do you think if you're buying vinyl from some old shop, you're somehow helping the artist in any way?

There is no right or wrong way to "dig" or make hip hop music period. If you feel so high and mighty because you dig the traditional way, then you should introduce yourself to actual musicians and ask them how much of an "art" they think sampling is.

So in closing i say USE ALL RESOURCES!!!!!!!!
My "favorite producer"?! What the hell is that... some lame excuse for being a "follower"?!
Wrong generation bro... trying to be and sound like another cat is not how I was introduced to this... doesn't apply me... wrong dude.

Who said anything about passing up mp3's? I thought I made it real clear about "illegal downloads"... you know... the "mp3's" that a majority of you have and use.
See, some of you see what you want to see. I also mentioned the value of an mp3 vs. having the actual vinyl... but, you won't address that if you're not a collector of music.
Getting all that FREE crap has strange effects on certain folks... it's all good until the market gets saturated, devalued, or until you get caught.
Let's not get it twisted either... from the way a lot of you cats use samples anyway(4-8 bar loops) and then you advertise your resources... also tells a story of it's own.
When samples are hard to come by(or you have to pay for them)... most tend to learn to use... "pieces" instead of the whole structure of a song. It really does... force a different mindset to "being creative", when you have to make it happen with a limited supply. Free sh!t can breed leeches, laziness and con artists. If you had to pay for it... you would have a different "hunger" with your work. When you think you have an endless supply... some of you OVERDOSE and it shows.

...that's just my opinion.

GET IT HOW YOU GET IT. MUSIC IS MUSIC WEATHER YOU FIND IN ONLINE OR IN A TRASH CAN. IF I FIND A BEAT FROM SOMTHING ONLINE IT HAS JUST Potential AS A RECORD FROM A STORE. BUT AS FAR AS DIGGING IT NOT AS FUN AS FINDING A RECORD STORE OR TRIFT SHOP YOU NEVER BIN IN BEFORE AND GOING THROUGH RECORDS

MADMIXA the DJ said:
My "favorite producer"?! What the hell is that... some lame excuse for being a "follower"?!
Wrong generation bro... trying to be and sound like another cat is not how I was introduced to this... doesn't apply me... wrong dude.

Who said anything about passing up mp3's? I thought I made it real clear about "illegal downloads"... you know... the "mp3's" that a majority of you have and use.
See, some of you see what you want to see. I also mentioned the value of an mp3 vs. having the actual vinyl... but, you won't address that if you're not a collector of music.
Getting all that FREE crap has strange effects on certain folks... it's all good until the market gets saturated, devalued, or until you get caught.
Let's not get it twisted either... from the way a lot of you cats use samples anyway(4-8 bar loops) and then you advertise your resources... also tells a story of it's own.
When samples are hard to come by(or you have to pay for them)... most tend to learn to use... "pieces" instead of the whole structure of a song. It really does... force a different mindset to "being creative", when you have to make it happen with a limited supply. Free sh!t can breed leeches, laziness and con artists. If you had to pay for it... you would have a different "hunger" with your work. When you think you have an endless supply... some of you OVERDOSE and it shows.

Don't act like you came in the game all because of yourself and you've never ever been influenced by some cat already in the game and if you say you haven't then you're lying.

If you think dudes that download and sample free mp3's are so wack, then whats it to you? The cream rises to the top anyway right? So since you have such skills at chopping "pieces" of samples as opposed to "using the whole structure of a song", then they shouldn't even be on your radar. Now you're saying you got a problem with cats that loop...not to beat a dead horse but...if its HOT its HOT. Plus, it doesn't matter if you chop the sample a million times, that doesn't make you any better a musician than someone that loops because either way, NEITHER ARE ACTUALLY PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT. No matter how busy you get with the chopping, you're still doing nothing more than rearranging someone else's work.

All thru the history of hip hop people have been using whatever resources they could to offset a lack of finances until they could make it, and this situation here is no different.

Last edited:
Its the same shyt its still digging your just digging the internet for em thats all. Some rare hard to find stuff isnt available online but some is. Either way it doesnt really matter where you find them gems as long as you find them.

Peeps get so mad over this like if your record digging and someone else is finding their material online you say thats not diggin. Who gives a phuck if its diggin or not. You think you gonna make them feel less important?

MADMIXA the DJ said:

Who said anything about free? dont assume online diggin means free. There are many sites you can get rare hard to find records in a digital format to download and im not talking about free. You aint gonna find rare gems for free.

Last edited:
Scratch n Beat said:
Don't act like you came in the game all because of yourself and you've never ever been influenced by some cat already in the game and if you say you haven't then you're lying.

If you think dudes that download and sample free mp3's are so wack, then whats it to you? The cream rises to the top anyway right? So since you have such skills at chopping "pieces" of samples as opposed to "using the whole structure of a song", then they shouldn't even be on your radar. Now you're saying you got a problem with cats that loop...not to beat a dead horse but...if its HOT its HOT. Plus, it doesn't matter if you chop the sample a million times, that doesn't make you any better a musician than someone that loops because either way, NEITHER ARE ACTUALLY PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT. No matter how busy you get with the chopping, you're still doing nothing more than rearranging someone else's work.

All thru the history of hip hop people have been using whatever resources they could to offset a lack of finances until they could make it, and this situation here is no different.
LYING?! Man please! Some of you cats have it twisted! "Favorite" and "influenced" has totally different meanings... and just because someone is "influencial to creativity" doesn't mean... "trying to sound just like them". What about their work ethics or business mind? It could even be a spiritual connection that is the model behind influence. I'm not a shallow or a simple man... it'll take more than a #1 chart position to have an impact on me. That's just plain... silly bro.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"it doesn't matter if you chop the sample a million times, that doesn't make you any better a musician than someone that loops because either way, NEITHER ARE ACTUALLY PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT. No matter how busy you get with the chopping, you're still doing nothing more than rearranging someone else's work."- Scratch N Beat

You're kidding right?! Try this... find a 2-3 second sample(or a 'stab'), play that sample on different octives and you may have just figured out that YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN ORIGINAL HARMONY FROM JUST A PIECE OF A SAMPLE. So, in fact... I took a noise, a note, a sound and arrainged it... to my vision, not relying on a looped up harmony of someone else's work. Examples can be made available...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you think dudes that download and sample free mp3's are so wack, then whats it to you?"- Scratch N Beat
What kind of question is this?! I think that most of the people that rely on doing that... are just living for the moment and don't realize what they're doing to the value of music. Some people will sell their asses just to try to look popular amongst their peers. That's just my opinion.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pure Hype... I know you can see the value of music... and can also see the aftershocks of all this mess. I have TORQ and use it to play my converted vinyl, not to go to a freeware /shareware site and act like it's an 'aids free orgy'. I posted in this thread to see if cats that use illegal downloads are grown enough to admit to the risk, the cause and the effects, and real reason behind doing it... and all you see are cheesy reversed replies defending doing it.

There's a reason why I stated,"some" and "most"... because it doesn't mean "ALL". I know there are some cats on here that have a sense of... pride, dedication, and have a broader vision. Just as you and I know... there are cats on here that just don't give a damn.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again... that's just my opinion

Last edited:
Scratch n Beat said:
Good point. That's all I have to say.

E-diggin or watever I dont even consider digging. You just gatta learn artist names which u can search online '70's soul bands' or something, then just search their name. That isnt digging. And I used to do this before I got my turntable, but I never considered it digging. I never said 'yo you tryin to dig for some samples' to my boy wen we made beats together. I just said lets find a sample. anyway no hate to anyone that gets samples offline theyre just as good as finding **** in the crates but theres a certain fun in going out and digging.

your never ganna kno what ur ganna find. And also its about collecting. for example I want this blood sweat and tears song just for listenin to not even sampling, but its no fun to go and download it online which is why I havnt done it yet. Id rather come across it someday diggin in the crates. Also digging is better becuz you can find samples that u would have never thought about downloading or stuff that isnt even online to dowload (which used to piss me off wen i would hear a song then couldnt find it online lol). This way you can get your OWN samples becuz lets face it, no matter wat beat u make the mood is basically ganna come from the original song and the recording will sound the same.

For example, i can hear samples I used even tho people flipped them COMPLETLY different. I can just tell by the way the original recording sounds, the instruments and how they played the note and all that good stuff.

Lets face it, most stuff u would sample from offline is stuff that has already been sampled (especially soul). I knew this even when I was searching online for samples, which is why I wanted to start diggin in the first place.

basically...i enjoy digging much more then online searching but no hate if u do that just do your thing

madface said:
Whatever it is, it doesn't deserved to be called digging, don't get it confused with crate digging.

Keep that **** far away from the culture of crate digging.

People are mostly lazy now a days. Or you just got no love for music and you'd rather download MP3's and rape the **** out of any artist you can find to make a quick buck.

Herbs.

Just cuz some of us don't own turn tables we're lazy? So you got love for music tho since you rape **** off of a piece of vinyl that makes it different ? I have mad love for music and I do my sample searching online and it's not to just make a quick buck, some of us actually enjoy hearing good samples chopped up in a track just for the enjoyment of hearing how someone else flipped it...

I have to agree that digging for vinyl is the essence of the art of sampling for the use in hip-hop, 100%.
However, some people dont have access to a doep vinyl shop where they live. I live in a city with 3 record stores that all have a decent size collection but have been substantially picked over.

I have struck out my last 5 times buying vinyl and have been getting frustrated, lately I have turned to the net for some inspiration but have also not been able to found any gems.

With that being said, I read a post in this thread where someone mentioned that there are some PAY SITES that you can cop some rare music off of on a per MP3 download basis.
Would you mind sharing some of these websites with a sample-based producer who has lost his inspiration?

Thanks in advance!

your all a bunch of morons. top name sample based producers get material from the internet as well as records. They also share wav files with each other. Saying its easier to find gems on records is stupid its harder to find record stores these days. Not eveyone lives in an area where they can get access to record stores.

Let me know if you guys need some names of producers that get material from the internet and I will not only name names but I will provide you with the quotes from them stating this.

If you only dig for records and refuse to download you are only limiting yourself. this is hip hop there are no rules except be inovative.

Last edited:
Pure Hype Production said:
your all a bunch of morons. top name sample based producers get material from the internet as well as records. They also share wav files with each other. Saying its easier to find gems on records is stupid its harder to find record stores these days. Not eveyone lives in an area where they can get access to record stores.

Let me know if you guys need some names of producers that get material from the internet and I will not only name names but I will provide you with the quotes from them stating this.

If you only dig for records and refuse to download you are only limiting yourself. this is hip hop there are no rules except be inovative.

Very nice post from you, I totally agree. For me I live in Berlin and there are no record stores at all that sell old and rare records only some collectors events where you could go and buy some old stuff every 6 months or so. So to me online diggin is a very nice alternative to finding sould and funk samples. AND I believe its not that about 3000 people are gonna have the same sample....flip it right and you beat them all !

I found some vinyl sharity sites and love them but if you like PM me with some super fresh links, because FP is a bit strict on that !

Peace my frineds and all the best from germany !
KLICKBEATS

KlickBeats said:
I found some vinyl sharity sites and love them but if you like PM me with some super fresh links, because FP is a bit strict on that !

Peace my frineds and all the best from germany !
KLICKBEATS

Check the link in my sig, I set up a forum for diggers. Be they vinyl or online. If the site picks up I'll be updating it regular with samples.

Pure Hype Production said:
OK Name them

DonnMoneyProductions said:
OK Name them

Ron Browz Notable credits: "Ether" -Nas "I'LL Whip Ya Head Boy" -50 Cent "Ebonics" - Big L "Blow It Out" - Ludacris "**** Y'all" -DMX "Oh No" -Snoop and 50 Cent "Help" - LIoyd Banks

The Question What about Wav files and such?
Answer: Oh yeah I sample from all of that wherever there is a sound at. I get on the computer and get some sounds from there. Wav sounds from CD I do all of that.

Bangout Notable credits: "Disco Inferno" - 50 Cent "In My Hood" -50 Cent "Hands Up" - LIoyd Banks

Question: Do You Sample Do You Use sample CDs?
Answer: I get Samples from everywhere Records the internet, CDs

I can add more but whats the point? Do you really need to know big name producers do this? Do you need their permision to try new things?

Last edited:
You name these mediocre almost unknown producers, yeah, they sound like the type to do it.

Why don't you mention some big ones right away? Because they don't do it. That's why.

DJ Premiere doesn't download from the net. He's a huge crate digger, all the legendary producers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back