Online Diggin' & Sampling

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty simple really, availability is what dictactes the rarity factor of an object. How many people is the internet available to?

why does it matter? if the ****s hot then its hot....who gives a **** where the samples from

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the main point of this thread was to say that people who are just downloading songs off of the internet have no respect for music. And to add, are just lazy.

What if you search hard, exchange rare stuff with other record owners over AIM, and go to iTunes? Is it still being lazy?

BTW, I don't "download" songs, I download full albums, legally(meaning personal e-trade, not P2P, iTunes). I've gotten alot of stuff you guys up here have never heard of.

You think e-crate digging is bad, you're just as rediculous as people who think any form of computer production is bad. And to the guy who said more hits were made with the 1200 than FL, true, but more hits have been made with Pro Tools Software than anything.

Evolve or go extinct. Next threat.

Last edited:
deRanged, I was the one who said that about the 1200, and I just said it to make a point, that old ish can be used to make good ish. And I'm not talking about hits, I said good music, it's a difference. **** hits. Hits are **** like In Da Club, and you're right, those are often made by Pro Tools and Triton using producers.

And having an opinion against computer based production is not the same as being against digging on the net. Computer based production isn't legal, it doesn't have anything to do with if you have any respect or love for music.

Like b_oinx over here said, the point is that if you just steal music, download it from the net, you don't have any respect for the artists or love for the music.

Go ahead, claim otherwise, but it's your actions that speak loudest.

Last edited:
and diggin' at garage sales and stores that resell (and sell promo copies and comps) and therefore not documenting sales, is?

you want to support the artists then contact the labels or whoever that 9.9/10 have reissued an album in CD format. if there's none or any other way then you're not supporting the artist (and publisher) either.
all kind of arguments can be made about what constitutes respect and love for music, and the very act of sampling is one among many.

J.Hol said:
yeah u will. if they recorded it, then its online. evrything is online now. the only difference between diggin in crates and diggin online is u aint gotta buy the records...just download em. plus it saves space. i've got thousands and thousands of songs all saved on an external hardrive. if i had all the actuall records i'd have nowhere to put em.
depends highly on what you sample. there are a lot of songs that simply aren't online and are even harder to find on vinyl. I myself am not into diggin for rare records but the sound of the vinyl vs a mp3 sounds a lot better.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Musicians are such elitists. I "online dig", I also "CD Dig", I have a digital collection of over 3,000 albums on my computer, all dated, with thumbnail folders that show covers. I own all the real CDs, but it's more organized to go to "Local Disk D:\Albums and scroll than got thru crate #300, and get off your high horses, I've got tons of rare vinyl they remaster and press to CD.

While you're at it, make sure you don't use any digital workstations, or computers period for music, "that ain't real hip hop"

You need to go back to those 1 button gemni samplers and SP 1200s. Fred Finstone azz nikkas.
lmfao. its funny kuz its true. use everything at your disposal and do whatever is going to SOUND BEST TO YOU if you can't afford a turntable and some vinyl then I guess ur stuck with Lime Wire. If you hate diggin then don't dig. I like gettin dusty

Last edited:
What kind of sad piece of **** can't afford a turntable? If you can afford a computer or a sampler to make beats on you can afford a turntable. You can get them for free for ****s sake.

madface said:
What kind of sad piece of **** can't afford a turntable? If you can afford a computer or a sampler to make beats on you can afford a turntable. You can get them for free for ****s sake.
Who's givin away free turntables? I want a pair of 1200s u wanna buy me a pair?

heh ya im down for some free turntables. cuz **** according to madface' logic i seem to have no respect for music. and God knows i would do anythign to have respect for music.

hmm wait a minute if i buy a record from little shop does that money go to the artist who made it? what if its from yard sale like 7th was saying?

yea but yardsale records were originally bought from the owner, and ur paying that person for the "ownership" of it, u cant compare that to downloading music, but i see nothing wrong with e-digging, cuz if ur track makes a move, eventually u will have to pay rights

online digging can be digging but sence 90% of fp are new jacks who just go to record stores after reading kaynes album credits looking for the same artist. Online digging for me has been usefull on finding rare pych rock foreign music soundtracks ect.....i get them whole albums at a time for the flippin www.albumbase.com u just gotta know what to look for..just like in a real record store

how do you think those old records got online? people who bought it (some who are rabid music collectors). regardless, buying vinyl doesn't automatically make you 'true' lover of music or mean that you respect it. my point is use any and everything at your disposal.

Gutty502 said:
yea but yardsale records were originally bought from the owner, and ur paying that person for the "ownership" of it, u cant compare that to downloading music, but i see nothing wrong with e-digging, cuz if ur track makes a move, eventually u will have to pay rights
Just like you would if you sampled off of a yard sale record. You have no more ownership over the music whether you bought it new, at a yard sale or downloaded it off the net.
Like a previous poster mentioned, anything online was originally put there by someone that owned it. There are a lot of blogs that share samples from older, rare artists because of their love of the music, and I've learned a lot by reading them.
This argument seems as ridiculous as cd vs. vinyl, mac vs. pc, coke vs. pepsi, etc.

Last edited:
To anyone saying downloading sh*t to sample is stealing, you sound really stupid. Unless you're buying it brand new from a licensed distributor, the artist is NOT getting paid.

Now if you contact somebody about paying them thousands of dollars to sample their music, you think they're thinking about whether you paid 5 or 10 dollars for the sample you chopped legally? Most of these guys, you couldn't buy their records legit even if you wanted to.

Stop splitting hairs over B.S. Get music from wherever you can. Unless you write and play all your own music live and then record it, you're using technology, you can't escape it, so just get over it.

Last edited:
I got randy crawford a check from clearing one of her samples, she's rich, she was still happy as hell. I'm sure she didn't see one red cent of that $2 I paid for the CD I got the sample from at music trader.

It's different if you're getting artists that currently need your support, but I make beats for major artists. If I make a penny off that Marlena Shaw CD I sample from, she's gonna make way more than the 7 cents max she was cheated out of when I traded a friend on AIM or ripped from my dad's CD collection(they've been around that long. I'm 28 and my dad has a whole basement of CDs you never heard of).

Save that sh*t for people stealing thousands in software making beats, selling them and not paying sh*t.

BTW, I have a Turntable and about 12 albums, you know how long it takes to digitally rip an album?

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I got randy crawford a check from clearing one of her samples, she's rich, she was still happy as hell. I'm sure she didn't see one red cent of that $2 I paid for the CD I got the sample from at music trader.

It's different if you're getting artists that currently need your support, but I make beats for major artists. If I make a penny off that Marlena Shaw CD I sample from, she's gonna make way more than the 7 cents max she was cheated out of when I traded a friend on AIM or ripped from my dad's CD collection(they've been around that long. I'm 28 and my dad has a whole basement of CDs you never heard of).

Save that sh*t for people stealing thousands in software making beats, selling them and not paying sh*t.

BTW, I have a Turntable and about 12 albums, you know how long it takes to digitally rip an album?
Too damn long. I did that for a minute kuz I didn't have the space for a lot of vinyl. Kicked my ex out and now I have lots of room for vinyl. Moral of the story Vinyl > in house pussy

So many good points have been brought up in this thread that I actually need to rethink my stance on this.

I'll still tell everyone that digging's a lot of fun though, and that it has advantages "e-digging" doesn't have. Not saying that e-digging doesn't have any advantages.

Xabiton, as for free turntables, I was talking about just some crappy thing that's decent enough to sample off. Not something you could use to DJ with. All you need for sampling is a crappy belt driven thing with a decent needle (might have to buy a needle).

Last edited:
madface said:
So many good points have been brought up in this thread that I actually need to rethink my stance on this.

I'll still tell everyone that digging's a lot of fun though, and that it has advantages "e-digging" doesn't have. Not saying that e-digging doesn't have any advantages.

Xabiton, as for free turntables, I was talking about just some crappy thing that's decent enough to sample off. Not something you could use to DJ with. All you need for sampling is a crappy belt driven thing with a decent needle (might have to buy a needle).
Ive used both and i wouldnt recommend anyone using a crappy belt driven turntable for anything really. While u can't hear the differences when you are listening to a record you can see them when you are chopping and looping them. Direct Drives aren't just DJ turntables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back