MPC 2000xl vs MV 8800

J

jdubb706

i got an MPC, thats my pride and joy, i love it. i plan on buying a MV though just to upgrade i guess. what are your takes on the MV and the MPC?

hate to say this cause i love the folks at AKAI

MV-8800 > MPC 2000xl

Heres something to consider though, if you got your game tight on the MPC, then you could just upgrade to the MPC 2500 or the 4000,

it might be a waste to spend time learning a new machine when you could be making more beats...

Just my two cents... No matter what you do, itll be all good in the hood...

DanSmith said:
hate to say this cause i love the folks at AKAI

MV-8800 > MPC 2000xl

Heres something to consider though, if you got your game tight on the MPC, then you could just upgrade to the MPC 2500 or the 4000,

it might be a waste to spend time learning a new machine when you could be making more beats...

Just my two cents... No matter what you do, itll be all good in the hood...

hey thanks man....i wont be able to touch my MP again until i get home cause im deployed now (aint that a bytch) but im bout to **** with some software while im out here

If I were starting from scratch, and had to pick between the 2 the mv would likely be my choice, but if you tracking it all out anyway I would just stick with what you got.
No need to upgrade to 2500, or 4000 either really.
Do you have 8 outs yet? A 6-8 inputs audio card would'nt hurt either.
Those investments if you havent made them yet would be more usefull, and productive for you.
Any extra effects, or filters that you want can be added in the tracking process with vst's.

jdubb706 said:
Yea deployed....Not iraq though...Krygaztan.

You probably get this alot, but i appreciate what troops all over the world are doing...

The liberals back home seem to only care about the folks getting deployed to iraq and dont care about the ones that are still in other countries like Somalia (i think i heard there are U.S. troops there) etc...

That is not even a level comparison. You are comparing a $2300 machine vs a $1300 machine. A more level comparison would be the 2500 or 4000 to the MV. Specs wise, the MV wins, but that doesn't mean it is right for you. The best thing to do is try them out in person.

youngjboy said:
A more level comparison would be the 2500 or 4000 to the MV. Specs wise, the MV wins, but that doesn't mean it is right for you. The best thing to do is try them out in person.

I beg to differ.

THe MPC 4000 specs (if specs are what we are talking about) BLOW the MV 8000 or MV 8800 out of the water. I personally have no problem with either of these machines, but if we're talking about specs, then I have to pipe up. Where's the MV's 3 Envelopes, 2 LFO's, 3 Filters (with a HUGE variation within those 3 Filters), 64 point modulation matrix PER VOICE, along with the PPQ of 960, 24bit/96khz, 2 Midi In's 4 Midi Out's and a 4 FX? And Don't forget the Q-Link sequence, it's like haveing a built in Step Sequencer for Sound Sculpting.

Also, how do you hook up a DVD to the MV... nope not an option.
What about more then 40G harddrive with the MV... nope NOT a supported option, with the 4k, I know that you can put 2 120G Hard Drives in the machine (and possibly higher G) and that people use their 400G/500G external harddrives to it. You can't even hook up an external harddrive to the MV....

Don't get me wrong. I would have NO problem sitting a MV next to my 4000. But it would have be next my 4000 not in replacement of it.

Dave

renegadebliss said:
I beg to differ.

THe MPC 4000 specs (if specs are what we are talking about) BLOW the MV 8000 or MV 8800 out of the water. I personally have no problem with either of these machines, but if we're talking about specs, then I have to pipe up. Where's the MV's 3 Envelopes, 2 LFO's, 3 Filters (with a HUGE variation within those 3 Filters), 64 point modulation matrix PER VOICE, along with the PPQ of 960, 24bit/96khz, 2 Midi In's 4 Midi Out's and a 4 FX? And Don't forget the Q-Link sequence, it's like haveing a built in Step Sequencer for Sound Sculpting.

What about more then 40G harddrive with the MV... nope NOT a supported option, with the 4k, I know that you can put 2 120G Hard Drives in the machine (and possibly higher G) and that people use their 400G/500G external harddrives to it. You can't even hook up an external harddrive to the MV....

Don't get me wrong. I would have NO problem sitting a MV next to my 4000. But it would have be next my 4000 not in replacement of it.

Dave

^^^Can't argue that one, believe me, I tried all those years ago. For a patch programmer, of which I have become better at, and now see value in those specs that I didn't see long ago, they are absolutely great (even better in software synthesizers).

However, even with those specs listed, the question is if you need them. If you want an upgrade from the 2000/2500/1000, and you don't need more lfos, filter types, envelopes and a modulation matrix, chances are, the MV would be a better option considering the steep 4k price tag.

Also, the MV still has more commonly used features the 4k or any other mpc doesn't have.

1. Flexible real time audio timestretch..."elastic audio"...think Live in a box with pads.

2. Direct recording onto audio tracks (not long sample tracks and there is a difference because of how audio tracks can work in the MV that the mpc doesn't have at all...like #1).

3. CD burning of audio without a computer dump (great while traveling).

4. Less bugs. Sorry, but this has to be considered a "feature" when were talking mpcs, especially the 4k.

5. More fully featured sequencer/arranger/pattern sequencer/drum grid. It doesn't have "mpc's swing", but the sequencer is actually more robust and deep...making editing a breeze...but also the trade off is the learning curve to make use of its depth more steep.

6. Dead simple automation recording for both audio and midi.

7. On board DSP synthesizer (though it is really crappy). :D

8. The COSM effects and models. Blows anything away on the mpc line.

So, it depends on the needs and various differences than it does the spec sheets alone.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone....Im getting the MV hands down, ima keep my mpc2000xl though but ima get that MV

Last edited by a moderator:
i want the mv i never messed with a mpc or mv but i want the mv though i'm all fl studio

MV=RZA...

MPC=KANYE, DRE, JUST_BLAZE...

hmmm....

I been wanting a MV tho...

but can the MV fade the top 3 (triton, motif, fantom) by itself???

There are some correction due in this thread - as old as it may be.

Not true. The MV can read from a DVD/CD drive and burn CDs from.

I know that you can put 2 120G Hard Drives in the machine (and possibly higher G)

The MV 8000/8800 can handle drives up to 120GB as well.

the PPQ of 960, 24bit/96khz

The MVs resolution of 480 surpasses the playing ability most and very few can trip a sequencer at even 300PPQN. If you can do it please post an example, The 24/96 mode cut's the 4000's power in half.

With version 3.52 or the 8800's 1.0 - the 4000 gets dusted. I know because I sold my 4000 and grabbed the MV.

renegadebliss said:

You started of nicely and had some valid points, but the last part is just a bunch of lies.

First of I've got 120Gb drive in my MV, and it works great. Reads all of it, except for a couple of reserved Mbs, which is totally natural.

Second, a buddy of mine has a laptop combo drive installed in his MV-8K that does read music of DVDs (obviously only the supported formats, as it's not possible to rip a dvd).

Third, external music players can be connected to the MV, so who needs a onboard DVD reader anyways?

As for external hard disks... on the MV-8K you could replace the floppy drive, build in a second drive right there. There are some adapters available to get that to actually work. I do not have first hand experience with those though.

1. Flexible real time audio timestretch..."elastic audio"...think Live in a box with pads.

2. Direct recording onto audio tracks (not long sample tracks and there is a difference because of how audio tracks can work in the MV that the mpc doesn't have at all...like #1).

3. CD burning of audio without a computer dump (great while traveling).

4. Less bugs. Sorry, but this has to be considered a "feature" when were talking mpcs, especially the 4k.

5. More fully featured sequencer/arranger/pattern sequencer/drum grid. It doesn't have "mpc's swing", but the sequencer is actually more robust and deep...making editing a breeze...but also the trade off is the learning curve to make use of its depth more steep.

6. Dead simple automation recording for both audio and midi.

7. On board DSP synthesizer (though it is really crappy).

8. The COSM effects and models. Blows anything away on the mpc line.

I'm not going to try to argue that one is better than the other, I'll let you make stuff up to try to make that argument.

1. My MPC can do timestretching
2. My MPC can record audio tracks, don't act as if there is some difference between an audio track and a sample, there isn't.
3. My MPC 2500 can do that
4. I have yet to see a single bug on my MPC, it responds a bit slow when accessing the hard drive or mounting it on USB, but that's a hardware limitation that the MV would suffer just as much.
5. Exactly what is better? My MPC has a grid edit just as well.
6. How can you make automation easier than hitting record and turning a knob?
7. I don't need a crappy on-board synth, the whole reason I have the MPC is to sequence and record my analog hardware synths.
8. I've used both and I haven't heard any noticable difference between the effects.

There are advantages to both machines. The MV has VGA output and mouse input, which is a huge advantage, it also comes with CD and hard drive standard, which is a nice plus. The MPC, on the other hand, integrates better with outboard gear with 2 midi inputs and 4 midi outputs as well as the 8 outputs standard.

They have their advantages and disadvantages, but you've just made stuff up in order to act like one blows the other out of the water.

Kojak said:
8. I've used both and I haven't heard any noticable difference between the effects.
This is simply not true. There's a big difference actually, you can do a lot better effects on the MV.

Damn, it seems this forum is flooded with people who don't even know what they're talking about.

Either way its merely a tool...
Implying what? Trust me, if an artists doesn't have the right kind of pencils to begin with, his paintings won't ever reach a certain level of quality.

Same goes for all tools, making a house with a messed up low-quality hammer will be a severe pain in the btt... just common sense man. Not saying it's impossible to make 'a' house wih it. You'll catch my drift.

Anyways, you're pretty ignorant of the MV's power, or the MPC5K's or 4K's for that matter, if you go about claiming that it's just a tool like any other tool you can make music with. These machines are more often than not the centerpieces of a studio, especially in the hiphop world.

There are advantages to both machines. The MV has VGA output and mouse input, which is a huge advantage, it also comes with CD and hard drive standard, which is a nice plus.
I do not consider having a VGA output as an advantage. It's very nice to have, sure, but it doesn't really matter as far as my workflow goes. Yeah, so perhaps it's a little bit faster because you can point and click things with the mouse, but that's about it. Using shortcuts and buttons on the MV, I'm able to navigate and edit often at least as fast as using my mouse. (therefore I usually use a combination of both, which is by far the fastest way.)

My MPC can do timestretching
2. My MPC can record audio tracks, don't act as if there is some difference between an audio track and a sample, there isn't.
Actually, there is a difference in practice, as the MV can use audio phrases in the audio tracks. Very powerful to have. When it comes to this particular feature, the MV is on a whole different level. Also, the time stretching works on EVERYTHING if you want it to.

Exactly what is better? My MPC has a grid edit just as well.
The MV has grid editing, step-recording, realtime recording and so on, what more could you possibly want? Also, it's a bit more advanced than on the MPC.

Last edited:
This is simply not true. There's a big difference actually, you can do a lot better effects on the MV.

Like what exactly? It's got multieffects, chorus, and reverb, just like the MPC.

I do not consider having a VGA output as an advantage.

Well it is, it allows it to connect to a larger and higher definition screen.

Actually, there is a difference in practice, as the MV can use audio phrases in the audio tracks. Very powerful to have. When it comes to this particular feature, the MV is on a whole different level. Also, the time stretching works on EVERYTHING if you want it to.

So then what can it do that the MPC can't.

The MV has grid editing, step-recording, realtime recording and so on, what more could you possibly want? Also, it's a bit more advanced than on the MPC.

The MPC also has step edit, grid edit, seq edit, and real time edit. How exactly is it more advanced?

You clearly have no idea the difference between either machine as you just named features on both and stated that only one machine had them.

Back