MASCHINE!!! "Akai can kiss my ass."

yeah I'm loving mine. it's got alot of features I've been waiting for in a box. my mpc is jealous.

I was just looking up on the NI site and I noticed they had No ID AND Flying Lotus. I just don't know man. It like I respect these dudes but are they just paid advertisers or do they really use the product?

Last edited:
How does Maschine handle plugins (NI or otherwise)? Let's say I want to play a "Trillogy/Triian sound? Does it actually load in Maschine or do I have to use Maschine as a controller (like akai mpd stuff) and lay it out in my DAW?

Can you record ableton clips with it?

How does the work flow of the Maschine compare with the APC40, when using Live 7 as your DAW? I know the APC 40 does not have drum pads, but I'm strictly thinking about it's clip work flow efficiency.

I guess what I'm saying is I need something that will allow me to compose drum beats like an MPD but also allows me to get around in my DAW like the APC40(for Live 7) or some other control surface for other DAWs.

I like the APC40, but I would like something that is only usable with Live 7/8.

In other words...my mouse finger is starting to wear down! LOL

How does Maschine handle plugins (NI or otherwise)? Let's say I want to play a "Trillogy/Triian sound? Does it actually load in Maschine or do I have to use Maschine as a controller (like akai mpd stuff) and lay it out in my DAW?

Can you record ableton clips with it?

How does the work flow of the Maschine compare with the APC40, when using Live 7 as your DAW? I know the APC 40 does not have drum pads, but I'm strictly thinking about it's clip work flow efficiency.

I guess what I'm saying is I need something that will allow me to compose drum beats like an MPD but also allows me to get around in my DAW like the APC40(for Live 7) or some other control surface for other DAWs.

I like the APC40, but I would like something that is only usable with Live 7/8.

In other words...my mouse finger is starting to wear down! LOL

you can't load vsts in it, in the update you will be able to sequence them with it though, via midi.

the controller can be used in "apc40 style" they have a template already and there is a video on the sit showing it...

even though it has that ability, and I'm sure it's useful, I don't think it will be as good as the dedicated apc40...that joint has buttons and knobs for every freakin thing lol.

but the maschine controller will definitely work, they've already got it setup for that.

to answer 8th element.... why does it matter what they use. judge equipment on how it actually works not who works with it. other wise you will for ever be a follower and never a leader. there are starting to be alot more vids of people using maschine in a hip hop style... i suggest you check em out to see if it fits your work flow.

to answer 8th element.... why does it matter what they use. judge equipment on how it actually works not who works with it. other wise you will for ever be a follower and never a leader. there are starting to be alot more vids of people using maschine in a hip hop style... i suggest you check em out to see if it fits your work flow.
Oh, I don't really care about them using it, cause I'm not getting it. I was saying that because No ID and Lotus (2 producers that I ride with)came out of nowhere with this. Thats where my comment came from.

This is definately the product that i have been searching for. I use Fl Studio but want to take a more hands on approach (To Me Fl is creatively exausting). I was thinking about an MPC but i didn't want to lose the advantages to software, I also didn't want to shell out the money for a 2500 either. This is great. I'm sold.

With this, Ableton 8 and Pro Tools 8. I need nothing more than time and inspiration. I love it..... I can't wait until the 1.1 release. For those that didnt already know, there will be a public beta for this version in the near future.

Another thing....NI owns beatport....which mean I wouldnt be surprised to see new kits and sample sets available someday.

Last edited:
What do you like most about it and how did it improve your workflow and creativity?

Its so easy to access all my samples (be it the stock kits and samples which are great quality), or my very own which I've collected through time. You can try out different sounds and kits on the fly which makes my workflow much smoother, and when you get in a creative rhythm you sometimes forget you are attached to a computer since all you need is accesible through the controller.

I wont lie though, the maschine is not perfect as of yet, the sampling is cool but it may take a couple updates to get it how I personally like it. I still use ableton for my chops but even so its so easy to go back and forth from using the maschine software either standalone or as a vst, and then with the push of a button be in control of ableton.

And I'm sorry. I'm not a Reason user so I cant help you there....

Last edited:
what I'm liking most about it currently is 1)it really feels like I'm working with hardware even though it's really software (i come from a drum machine and hard synth backround so this is important to me)
2) the speed and tweak ability to work on something add another part load a different kit or instrument add fx and modulation... just very seamless and intuitive
3)i really like how the controller feels just the pads and knobs feel good and solid i was worried that once i bought it i would still use my mpc just for its pads via midi but i can honestly say I don't touch my mpc now when working "in the box" nor do i even have the urge to)

When I seen it at Gear Fest it just looked like a joke. It fits the bid to someone who maybe wants to just make a few looped beats to play around with, basically a less serious hobbyist. Anyone who is looking for something serious to fuel their music should look elsewhere. Just my opinion.

At the price point though, this thing is even more useless. 600 bucks. Plus you have to have a computer. It doesn't sequence other instruments, virtual or hardware (at least the rep didn't include that info). When you use it as a VSTi you lose your sequencing functionality (again, at least that's the idea I got from the demo) and that kind of takes away the whole hardware/software workflow thing it has going. No ReWire support??? I didn't find that either. And the 5GB of sample included are alright. But from what I heard (when I seen the demo) most sounds were alright at best.

If all the things I seen/learned about it are true. Then this thing is a piece o' shat. I mean you can get a used MPC 1000 or 2000 or 2000xl for cheaper than this thing. And the MPC is a real tool, not a little toy.

Again, these are just my opinion. Don't get ya panties in a bunch you Maschine users. Just wanna give everybody a different perspective.

When I seen it at Gear Fest it just looked like a joke. It fits the bid to someone who maybe wants to just make a few looped beats to play around with, basically a less serious hobbyist. Anyone who is looking for something serious to fuel their music should look elsewhere. Just my opinion.

At the price point though, this thing is even more useless. 600 bucks. Plus you have to have a computer. It doesn't sequence other instruments, virtual or hardware (at least the rep didn't include that info). When you use it as a VSTi you lose your sequencing functionality (again, at least that's the idea I got from the demo) and that kind of takes away the whole hardware/software workflow thing it has going. No ReWire support??? I didn't find that either. And the 5GB of sample included are alright. But from what I heard (when I seen the demo) most sounds were alright at best.

If all the things I seen/learned about it are true. Then this thing is a piece o' shat. I mean you can get a used MPC 1000 or 2000 or 2000xl for cheaper than this thing. And the MPC is a real tool, not a little toy.

Again, these are just my opinion. Don't get ya panties in a bunch you Maschine users. Just wanna give everybody a different perspective.
Only one that has their panties in a bunch is you. Comparing an MPC to a Maschine is ridiculous. MPC's are outdated like ASR-10's. Yeah, you can still use one today.....but why???

Only one that has their panties in a bunch is you. Comparing an MPC to a Maschine is ridiculous. MPC's are outdated like ASR-10's. Yeah, you can still use one today.....but why???

Yeah it is. The Maschine is something to play with, the MPC is a tool. I don't see the point of it being out dated. What ground breaking advancements in pro audio have happened since the MPC 1000??? Ok, I'll give you higher sample rates. That's understandable. Other than that, nothing. I'm really not trying to argue the point that the MPC is better. I'm trying to let people know that the maschine, at 600 bucks is a rip off. You could spend your money better. How bout Ableton Live 8 and a MPD24??? WAY better than the Maschine.

(100 bucks more, but if you can't get someone to take off 100 bucks you don't know how to haggle, never pay full price)

But hey, it's not the gear its the artist... You do what you do, and I'll do what I do. lol

cool features and all,but the software and mashine juss looks like a toy.they should've bit off the mpc's design like roland mv8000 did

Dude!

Another "Batman is stronger than Superman" thread...

Superman is WAY stronger than Batman! Batman has NO superhuman powers, whereas Superman does!

With that said, I'll stay with my MPC 4000, and pass on this thing. And am I the ONLY one that thinks this thing looks like ASS!?!?

WTF!?!? Why us an MPC?!

Did this dude say who would want to use an MPC?!?! WTF!?! Who would want to you this gay ass excuse for an MPC?!?! You're better off with an MV!

I'm an mpc 4000 user, have been for a while, but I'm interested in this. The mpc is definitely fun to use, but I've always liked having all my sounds "right there" I don't know how it is, I have to actually use it to see how it compares for my workflow. I don't sample into the mpc much, mostly loaded up samples I had collected or akai sample cds for instruments. Once and a while I would play something on the keyboards and sample that. Now I don't have any hardware besides the mpc, and I haven't been using it much.

Maschine should be at my house by the end of this week, I plan to give it a good test to see how it aids my workflow or not. I don't think any one piece of gear is better than the other, they are all tools and it really depends on how you work and what inspires your creatively.

Some people prefer to be as limited as possible, some want every thing they can get their hands on. Some say software, some say hardware...some use both.

I'll give things a fair try if it looks like it can help me out. Sure maschine can't touch ableton lol....but if it gives me a different way of working then that can be inspiring enough in itself.

Back