M-Audio Axiom 25 - Discussion + Troubleshooting

Doctrine

I've got an Axiom 25, ****'s ill...

I believe I've purchased the best controller with the money I had to work with, I wanted semi-weighted for playing "piano feeling" melodies, but something where I wouldn't ashamed banging out synth lines...The Axiom line also comes with drum trigger pads at the top of the controller to bang out samples/drums...The feel, look, and ability for what this piece can do is AWESOME! Just one thing...

I HAVE YET TO FIND OUT HOW TO USE IT FULLY!

Of course this is part of the beauty of the product, I believe alot of people are shying away from it because it isn't setup so user-friendly, but I don't mind getting my hands a little dirty, because it boasts some incredible features I just gotta get in touch with...

The Enigma software is tough for me to fully understand, there IS use for it despite what some on this board may say...I just need a little tutorial or something explaining the different commands it offers and really ALL that it CAN do, not so much HOW to use it...Oddly enough I don't believe it is explained well by m-audio. People see they can open up most programs and use the keys, pitch bend, and modulating functions on the axiom so they think that it's not necessary to have the Enigma software, surely not true...

Secondly I'd like to know HOW to program or understand the IDEA of programming and assigning to the drum pads. I would think this to be the most simple function of the Axiom, but I have found it the most difficult to do. I need tips for things mostly on the Enigma and Controller setup side of things (Using the 'advanced' key menu's) rather than how to set parameters in Cubase, Ableton, and Reason, because that's the easy part...

Hopefully we'll create an interest in the Axiom line of products on here so people may see the power each one harnesses...

Peace,
Sound Doctrine

Last edited:
Okay I'll start with a good question...

I use Reason and the Axiom 25 with one another...How can I get the axiom to control the Redrum channels 1-10 (notes 36-43) with the drum pads, but NOT using the 'Remote Override' function in Reason?

I say this because I need to learn to configure the controller to the software and not the other way around, when you do it this way you get the full application of the parameters redrum is putting to each channel (what I need is the gate) so they can be applied to the according sample. Just using the 'Remote Override' function in Reason will trigger the sample, but without Redrum's channel parameters...

I agree "I believe I've purchased the best controller with the money I had to work with". I've had mine for almost 3 months now and still havn't figured everything out about it.

One thing that does have me scratching my head is how do i get the drum pads to ALL work w/ redrum. (i.e only the first lower left pad works then the second one to the right of it controls #3 in redrum and there all mixed up. I got the engima software and tried to load some reasons presets (they worked) but there was no redrum preset. im lost at this point on how to solve this issue. If anyone else knows please hit me up, it would be much appreciated.

I just learned that very step tonight and I was already planning on posting it on here...

What you must learn are what 'CC, Channel, Data1, Data2, Data3' mean, not only in Enigma but on the controller itself. I'll tell you how to do it through the CONTROLLER (not Enigma software) because I have yet to fully understand transferring banks from the software to the Axiom...

If you look in the help file for reason's Redrum sampler, it says the 'note #' for the 10 channels on Redrum go from 36-45...

Stay with me, it's easier than you think.

You need to tell drum pad 1-8 that they need to control reasons note #'s 36-45, but you only have 8 pads on the Axiom so we'll do it 36-43...You access this feature by setting the "DATA 1" parameter on the Axiom...

How do you do that?

> Press the first pad (bottom left) on the axiom.

> Press "advanced" button

> Press the "Ctrl Assign" key (first piano key on Axiom 25, dunno 'bout others) then the number on the right should read "147" that is not the "DATA 1" parameter, that is CONTROL...

> Press the "Data 1" key (third black key from the left) and you probably will already see the number 36 on the screen now (that's the default). Still we will RE-Program it to the same thing for the sake of example.

> With the corresponding keys, punch in '36' then press the last white key which is 'enter' and you have that first pad now set for Note 36 wich will trigger channel 1 in redrum...

Now do the same steps with the second pad making IT'S Note number/Data 1 entry '37' and so on...

Pad 1 - DATA 1 = 36 for Redrum Channel 1
Pad 2 - DATA 1 = 37 for Redrum Channel 2
Pad 3 - DATA 1 = 38 for Redrum Channel 3
etc...

More to come...

Last edited:
Also another quick question, is it possible to use the pads with anything other than redrum &/or reason itself? just kinda curious, the only apps that i've used the axiom w/ is reason, fruity loops, & various vst's.

& within reason how can you have the sample "cut itself" whenever you trigger it agian, like you can in fruity loops?

Last edited:
Yes, all those programs can support the axiom and its drums...

Good question ont he "cut itself command" I've gotta run to work, but I'll be back later...

thank goodness for this thread! I came in hea and found wut I was lookin for.. I was 'bout to buy a Axiom, but thnx to yall.. i think i might just go with the Korg Kontro49 instead. If that is what proppelerhead recommends, then that is wha I'ma go with. Plus i love the fact that it has those LCD screen wich also probably can be used with protools. I have to look up on that. Anyone know if the faders are motorized?

So you are NOT deciding to get an axiom?

The faders on the Korg aren't motorized, the pads are crappy and the keys aren't semi-weighted...Just letting you know, som e might not like weighted keys...

If you are looking for motorized midi equip, step ya game up...

How are you thanking us for NOT choosing what we are praising and insted choosing a device for yourself we've talked nothing about and is sub-par...

To sum it up, your post was a little unclear...

Oh, and having an LCD screen (which the Korg doesn't) has nothing to do with pro-tools compatibility...Read up before you buy is what I recommend...

well maybe i understood wrong, but i coulda sworn most peeps were saying how its a hassle to get everything configured with reason.

So i figured the korg's already pre-configured? sinse its one of proppellerhead's recommendations.

And i am reading up.. thaz why i'm on hea.. and asking questions.

So an Axiom 61/49 is best, bar-non?
and by weighted keys,, u mean it has a real Piano feel to it, where you gotta press the keys real hard to play it?

oh, and which midi keyboard has a motorized fader?

can you control ProTools with the Axiom?

well now i just need somebody to give me da word, and i'm ordering this baby today.

thnx

Last edited:
I jst went to see the axiom at my local shop, hell yeh looks reall nice

but this is a question for all you that have the Axiom,

are the drum pads velocity sensitive?

and if not (cauze the website doesnt say they are)- doesnt that make it harder to give ur beats personality?

I mean when i was looking at samplers people were telling me that the problem with the roland Sp404 drumpads is that the pads arent velocity sensitive.. so i was just wondering if you all could tell me how it effects the Axiom. thanks

Last edited:
Doctrine, you ever figure our how to use the 'cut itself' feature?

and how can i map all the knobs to the different knobs on the diff channels in redrum & the synth's?

just curious. i've had this for about 3 months now and have yet to figure EVERYTHING out cuz there soo much for the price- and i got a steal (1/2 of whats listed on the m-audio site)

see.. and people still continue to have these probs.

we should start a thread for each of these high-end midi controllers, to discuss the pros & cons from people who've actually tried it or has it.

have the axiom 49 and its great but I dont know how to use the faders and knobs properly.
I used to have the microKontrol which I sold because of the keys.

Last edited:
Emye said:
see.. and people still continue to have these probs.

we should start a thread for each of these high-end midi controllers, to discuss the pros & cons from people who've actually tried it or has it.
That's what this is genius...Only axiom isn't "high-end"...

And no matter how simple a product, people will continue to have questions...I'll tell you right now...If you don't know how to use the knobs and/or faders and haven't read a single page of a booklet, yeah, this stuff will sound impossible and unworthy of purchase...But if you actually take time to understand your setup and midi itself, these questions become easy to answer yourself with time...

Basically...Quit hating, step up your own knowledge base...

Why you gotta come affront? How the hell am I hating on a product I've wanted to get for the longest? reckon' yaself.. if i'm hate on anything, i'll say it straight up..

..but I aint on hea to hate, but to observe and see if any of these probs have been figured out, so when I actually do get my AXIOM61, (or any better recommendation) I'll be up and going with it in no time, cuz I'd already know how to map everything by then with the help I obtain on here. (u must not have read my otha posts)

Doctrine said:
Basically...Quit hating, step up your own knowledge base...

So since you seem to know everything, why don't you make good use of yourself and keep trying to answer some questions instead of tryna to insult myself & othaz (i ain't the only one askin Qs in hea) for pratical reasons.... "genius"

Last edited:
Hey... Just found this place through google.

I just bought an Axiom25 and LOVE it. Love it so much I'm going to get the Axiom61 when they become available. 25 keys is just not enough for me personally, and also the addition of the sliders and the assignable buttons can come in handy.

I've got a scenario I'm trying to figure out, maybe someone can help me?!

I use Nuendo and Drumkit From Hell Superior. I have the 8 pads right now assigned to KICK L/R, SNARE L/R/ and 4 for hi-hats. That's 8 right thurr.

NOW - here is my question. While STAYING in my User 01 Control Setup, is there a way to "switch pad banks" and go to like a B or a C so I can then program 8 more MIDI note to the pads?

In other words, I want to have one MAIN PRESET that has all my ish, but be able to have 24 different mapped pads by toggling through like A, B, C.

Make sense? Please reply cuz this is killing me. I been all up in they manual and I'm sleepin'

Back