"Legendary MPC Swing"

I think people are partial to what they learn with and most people are told an mpc is the only way to make a beat so they stay devoted to them, this is fine, I think mpc's are great machine's but I also think most people starting out can't afford one so use what you got because a producer makes the beat not the machines. I also dislike mpc's for the simple fact that they do make a very recognizable sound which most people believe is the sound of true hip hop beats, but as a new producer you should strive to make a different sound and also take advantage of the amazing technology that most mpc devotees didn't have when they started. Just listen to Murs and 9th Wonder's album and tell me if hot **** can't be made in a cheap program like FL or if you still need to break the bank. Sell some beats and get some good money then buy an mpc to play with. I hope this helped a little.:D

one thing no one seems to have mentioned here-- in software like cubase, reason, FL, etc. you have swing or shuffle funtions available, much like on the MP. In these programs, Swing or shuffle MEANS that every second note of a square time signature rhythm (1/8, 1/16, 1/32 NOT triplets) is pushed slightly back along the track's timeline, more or less depending on the %. HOWEVER-on an MPC, the swing functioned can be programmed to do this OR alternatively it can be used to push every other note of such a time signature a little forward for a different feel. NOT that that is something you're going to want that often, but I've yet to find software that does this easily.

DJ PLAN A said:
one thing no one seems to have mentioned here-- in software like cubase, reason, FL, etc. you have swing or shuffle funtions available, much like on the MP. In these programs, Swing or shuffle MEANS that every second note of a square time signature rhythm (1/8, 1/16, 1/32 NOT triplets) is pushed slightly back along the track's timeline, more or less depending on the %. HOWEVER-on an MPC, the swing functioned can be programmed to do this OR alternatively it can be used to push every other note of such a time signature a little forward for a different feel. NOT that that is something you're going to want that often, but I've yet to find software that does this easily.

Your talking about swung triplets? I believe it's a fairly common feature actually.
Maybe not every sequencer does this, but I've used a few that do.

no I was talking about square time sigs, not triplets, but you're right, many software sequencers can swing with triplets -- I know cubase can, but the MP2000 at least cannot. what it can do that cubase doesn't easily do is push the swing notes to fall sooner instead of later

^^^Cakewalk Sonar has midi quantize fx plug ins that do that with better precision than the MPC, can't specify on other sequencers. I don't use swing anyway, I was born with rythm, so I can make my music have a swing without using randomization FX.

Live drums don't come with swing, no real musician should need such nonsense. Guess it's for the "wanna be producah bandwagon jumpers"?

well that's not very nice, considering all these people posting here are only trying to clear up the answer to a question from Mr. Myspace Gangsta. Sounds like someone's got a little something to prove... Like "Timbaland, Premier, Havok, Kanye West, Dr. Dre, Alchemist, RZA" never used any kind of quantization or something? why such animosity? eat some cheetos and chillout holmes.

Last edited:
^^^^^^ dud must be new ...yep only 12 post go easy on him lol...... it is kinda sad when people cant even play a simple beat on time and want a machine or software to fix it for them

Last edited:
mpc swing in a nut shell is quantization that will hit
early or late by % with a amount of 1-11.

wow
the thing about the mpc is it fun and easy to use thats all.

get one if you want it's not going to make the music for you its just something people like to use​

bxdiplomat said:
mpc swing in a nut shell is quantization that will hit
early or late by % with a amount of 1-11.

wow
the thing about the mpc is it fun and easy to use thats all.

get one if you want it's not going to make the music for you its just something people like to use​
That's all I'm saying. I've owned one for 5 years and never used "swing". This thread and threads like it are rediculous.

1st Threads said "MPC has more functions than software." Once fact is revealed that it doesn't and in actuallity Software outperforms MPC, new threads.

"MPC has a better sound than Computer" Once revealed older model drum machines(ASR, MPC60/3000) were made with filters, but new MPCs give the exact same digital sound thru digital outputs as computer, new thread....

"MPC gives your music a swing you can't get without it", but alot of producers known for distinctive drums(Timbo in particular)don't normally use the MPC. What's next? MPCs double as a sex box? MPCs can fly airplanes?

These threads are stupid to me because I own and am more experienced on MPC than most people who think these advantages really exsist.

If anything, I can say being experienced with an MPC can make you aware of what your music should preserve from it when you move on. I can make a beat in MTV Music generator, Triton, FL Studio, MPC, Sonar, nomatter what, it'll be a deRaNged beat with a deRaNged swing and deRaNged sound.

Nomatter what genre I make, it's still a deRaNged beat. My hyphy and snap sh*t is still dark and symphonic with heavy drums.

Y'all need to quit getting your distinctive sounds from equipment, everyone I hear saying MPC can do this and that have generic azz beats. Whether you think my sh*t's wack or good, it don't sound like the next man, nomatter what I make. You shouldn't either. Especially in a time when "everybodies a producer".

it's a placebo. so much so that people like peoff and the Guru crew have emulated, or tried to, the mpc swing for reason and guru due to all the requests. if it was missing and someone told you it was there how many would honestly know.

i prefer having the sound, thanks to it's limitations, of my EPS than having some swing i can't pinpoint.

Last edited:
DJ PLAN A said:
no I was talking about square time sigs, not triplets, but you're right, many software sequencers can swing with triplets -- I know cubase can, but the MP2000 at least cannot. what it can do that cubase doesn't easily do is push the swing notes to fall sooner instead of later

Ok I get you.
But you can do this very easily by dragging notes in the grid.
Now it's not apart of the quantizing options, but easily done by dragging notes.
Just lasso the group of notes you want pushed foward, and you can do this with 1, or all of the notes.
Pretty easy too.

..I've find something to this thread in a forum.. it's a mail written by Roger Linn himself and he also says there's no magical thing about the MPC only the perfect accurate timing

"

** Original Subject: RE: MPC Query
** Original Sender: "Roger Linn" <rlinn@rogerlinndesign.com>
** Original Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:34:11 -0400

** Original Message follows...

Hi M*****,

The tight timing of the MPC is due to the fact that there is zero delay
between the sequencer and sound generator. It's all one big software
program, so when the sequencer part of the software says it's time to
play a note, the sound generator part of the software does it
immediately. There's no MIDI delay, no delays due to computer OS timing
priorities, no delays due to MIDI interface timing irregularities, and
no delays due to an external sound generator's software responding
slowly to MIDI.

There were no special tricks in the MPC software for specific drums. The
code was simply written so that sounds are played exactly when the
sequencer says that are to be played.

I hope this answers your question adequately.

Best regards,

Roger Linn "

Straight said:
..I've find something to this thread in a forum.. it's a mail written by Roger Linn himself and he also says there's no magical thing about the MPC only the perfect accurate timing

"

Hi M*****,

slowly to MIDI.

Best regards,

Roger Linn "

Thank you! I've been saying this for years.

Well, I gotta let u know the bizness from a true hip-hop and real perspective. There is a "swing" or "groove" that is felt by using the Akai MPC machines. You can peep this also in the sound engine of all the Akai's also. It's a soul thing. That's why ANYBODY who has been ANYBODY (Kanye West, Pete Rock, Just Blaze, Swizz Beats, J-Dilla-R.I.P., Mark 45 King, Rodney Jerkins, Will I Am) in hip-hop, soul, r&b as we know it have an Akai MPC as their foundation. Most of the music we ever cared to dig and enjoy WOULDN'T be even heard if it wasn't for the gift of the these cats combined with the gift of these machines. I actually stopped using an Akai MPC for about 6 years, but borrowed my big brotha's and found that soulful essence that I grew up with right there. A part of the process is being able to sample, filter, chop samples, add effects, etc..is what makes these machines instruments..I've used music software for decades and noticed hot music that can be made, but not the same vibe and soul as using Akai MPCs, SP-1200's, or even Linn 9000's, not to mention Roland W-30's......

Stay real and soulful...

One..

Last edited:
^^^

You're just talking about a preference for a workflow. These machines HAVE NO SOUL... THEY PLAY RIGHT TO THE GRID, UNLESS YOU TURN QUANTIZE OFF, AND WHEN YOU DO, YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A LOWER-RESOLUTION SEQUENCER THAN MOST SOFTWARE SEQUENCERS.

Smoov said:
Well, I gotta let u know the bizness from a true hip-hop and real perspective. There is a "swing" or "groove" that is felt by using the Akai MPC machines. You can peep this also in the sound engine of all the Akai's also. It's a soul thing. That's why ANYBODY who has been ANYBODY (Kanye West, Pete Rock, Just Blaze, Swizz Beats, J-Dilla-R.I.P., Mark 45 King, Rodney Jerkins, Will I Am) in hip-hop, soul, r&b as we know it have an Akai MPC as their foundation. Most of the music we ever cared to dig and enjoy WOULDN'T be even heard if it wasn't for the gift of the these cats combined with the gift of these machines. I actually stopped using an Akai MPC for about 6 years, but borrowed my big brotha's and found that soulful essence that I grew up with right there. A part of the process is being able to sample, filter, chop samples, add effects, etc..is what makes these machines instruments..I've used music software for decades and noticed hot music that can be made, but not the same vibe and soul as using Akai MPCs, SP-1200's, or even Linn 9000's, not to mention Roland W-30's......

Stay real and soulful...

One..

Question #1 Did you read the quote above you from Roger Linn?
I assume since you you mention the linn9000 you know who he is

In case you don't Roger Linn is the guy that actually designed the orginal mpc drum machines and he's said that there is nothing special about the mpc's timing. Its a great tool because of its work flow annd how it allows people to just fall in and put things together.

I own several mpc's and use them almost everyday. The groove comes from the person using it.

Yep Yep..

Yep, I know. Roger Linn said whateva he said. He's pushin' for his own machine, so he'll say whateva he feels like about his past works. I also know Forat who customizes MPCs and has worked with Roger Linn as well as other legends. Folks know that the Akai MPC records notes a certain way in it's sequencer like the SP-1200 did. Talent plus tools makes masterpieces. I care not to debate facts. It's not just the "swing". It's the flow bro of how these machines allow our gifts to come out. Feel free to be a "cyborg". I'll use the best of this with the best of that and grow... Get it right or keep it tight..

Respect..

Last edited:
Smoov, I feel what you talk about
this thread is about legendary MPC SWING.. in my opinion there is no magical swing quantizing in the mpc it's simple shuffle.
I think all the SOUL you're talking about come from the SOUND of the AKAIs cuz' they definetely got. And of course that good sound makes a normal shuffle swing a lot more groovy.
respect

BigRyan said:
^^^

You're just talking about a preference for a workflow. These machines HAVE NO SOUL... THEY PLAY RIGHT TO THE GRID, UNLESS YOU TURN QUANTIZE OFF, AND WHEN YOU DO, YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A LOWER-RESOLUTION SEQUENCER THAN MOST SOFTWARE SEQUENCERS.

yeah Ryan I also think MPC quantize is so simple like soft's.

Roger Linn also said that though some softs have even 960 ppq but they can't deliver them constantly. MPCs just do things the precise way.

I think MPC's myth magic swing sh*t is all about the way that MPCs handle samples.

A lotta people told me that is all about the samples and **** and no coloring.

I say the same movie will look better on a 5000$ plasma, the same sample will sound better from the MPC.

If the MPCs myth'd be all about the quantize, it could be recreated easy with swing templates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoov said:
Yep, I know. Roger Linn said whateva he said. He's pushin' for his own machine, so he'll say whateva he feels like about his past works. I also know Forat who customizes MPCs and has worked with Roger Linn as well as other legends. Folks know that the Akai MPC records notes a certain way in it's sequencer like the SP-1200 did. Talent plus tools makes masterpieces. I care not to debate facts. It's not just the "swing". It's the flow bro of how these machines allow our gifts to come out. Feel free to be a "cyborg". I'll use the best of this with the best of that and grow... Get it right or keep it tight..

Respect..
Roger linn still offers some support for the older mpc's not just his new stuff
but I see that your one of those people that see what you want to see when you read, or either you didn't read my whole post.

Last edited:
Straight said:

"

Hi M*****,

slowly to MIDI.

Best regards,

Roger Linn "
Anyone here do good in math?

This is why randomization is different on every machine. There is no such thing as "no delay" fact. The MPC may have 0.04ms delay while a triton has 0.09ms delay and FL with a good interface has 0.5ms(just giving examples, not actual numbers), but all have different delays which lead to different randomization. Different doesn't equal "better" just different, so an MPC at a swing of 42 won't be identical to a trion or FL at 42. They also have different setups MPC goes from 1-64, fl goes 1-100. Get out ya calculators and figure out, it's just randomization. Once you bring in your own drums, think about the ones that may have that 0.2ms of air before they kick in(anyone who edits drums has seen this). There's millions of factors that effect overall timing in production.

That's like saying on instruction one girl sux kok at 32 strokes a minute and another at 42 strokes a minute but take 2 second pauses every 35 strokes, upon being properly calibrated by you putting your hand tho the back of there head, it would take different ammounts of pressure to get them both to the same speed, but both can get there and both can get you your fix. lol.

Last edited:
Back