wack ass trance on his Pro Tools
system... partly b-c he simply
isn't creative and partly b-c
he fell victim early on to the
"oh FL/Reason/NameYourProgramHere
isn't as professional as Cubase/Neundo/
NameYourProgramHere" non-sense on
many many MANY message boards.

Ha Ha. That is so true. The debate always occurs and it'll probaly never end.

IMO reason can be a professional sound if you use sounds other than the Reason Soundbanks. I'm betting many of you haven't mixed a track from reason in the studio with some outboard gear.
You'll be surprised what comes out.

Also, try getting your hands on some MPC, Akai or Giga sample cds and using them in NNXT. :-)

`t1m

Reason is a children's toy! If you are serious about music production then you will realise this.

Perhaps my opinion would be different if it had VST support ..

People mainly use it because they are too lazy to make their own sounds -there's a huge bank of pre-made sounds available to make you sound like a PrO without doing squat!

*shakes fist*

People mainly use it because they are too lazy to make their own sounds -there's a huge bank of pre-made sounds available to make you sound like a PrO without doing squat!

*shakes fist* [/B]

What a strange quote to say look at Trilogy and atmosphere i dare say the biggest seling VST's at the moment you'd struggle to find a PRO set up that doesn't have them and they both come with 3 gigs of pre-made sounds , do you class these as childrens toy's ?:sing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Church Decorator said:
Reason is a children's toy! If you are serious about music production then you will realise this.

*shakes fist*

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......................................................................

quiz said:
I used to use FL to produce but ive just started using reason. and all i really want to know is if reason is a pro program that big producers use to make their tracks or is it on the same level as fruity?

WHo cares if "big" producers use it. Its about how YOU use it.

Church Decorator said:
... People mainly use it because they are too lazy to make their own sounds ...
Kind of like the Yamaha Baby Grand in my music room ... it's a "child's toy" for people who can't build their own pianos. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though ... many, many people use nothing but factory presets or 3rd-party patches on their Tritons, Motifs, Fantoms, etc. ... that's a poor way to determine whether the gear is professional.

Reason is "professional" by any rational standard. Whether any one person likes the sound is another matter entirely.

It is simply a rack of sound modules and effects with a sequencer ... nothing more, nothing less.

Church Decorator said:

*shakes fist*

church decorator jumps into the fp scene with a bang. . .

my friend, you think something that comes with presets is made for children? you know - the presets dont have to be used. . .

I forgot to mention that neither my Yamaha Baby Grand, my Fender Strat, my Emu Command Station or my Emu Halos upport VSTs either ... totally unprofessional. :rolleyes:

I informed a friend that his Martin D6 is totally unprofessional, because all it does is that one "preset" guitar sound. ;)

Church Decorator said:

*shakes fist*

oh and one quick thing about this - the presets in reason hardly make anyone sound like a pro. . .

Church Decorator said:

*shakes fist*

if you have Reason for longer than 2 months you
would know how to make your own sounds.

i do it all the time.

it looks like your problem is with the
ppl who use technology as a crutch, not
with the technology itself.

but guess what?

every software has it's crutch.

and every software has that group
of ppl who use that crutch.

Eh, i'm over here in iraq reading yalls replies, and i like the insight, but what i'm tryin to figuire out is what do you look for when determining which "sequencer" is right for you? I been reading up on Reason for a minute and i still havent heard one good REASON why its better than FL. I want to upgrade from FL but dont know where to go. yall talkin bout reason, acid, all these programs but how do they differentiate, what makes one better than the other, which has the best sounds, the most versatile sequencer? can yall enlighten me on this. Peace

welcome to fp sungod

there's no way for someone to tell you which one is the best, or even which is better than another. basically each has its own strengths and weaknesses. one may have this feature and another might have that feature. everyone has a different approach to making music, and some programs will facilitate your approach better than others.

download the demo versions of all the programs you listed, try em out for a while and see which one you like working with best. thats the best advice i can give.

I only have a few few issues with Reason. Which all are bypassed by using Cubase SX and Rewire.

First of all, and I think this is a valid point. There IS NO TIME INDICATION!
No minute;Seconds;milliseconds to help you work. IMHO this is a bit unprofessional. When thinking about radio productions, scores, and other situations when this would prove to be INVALUABLE for a producer. I think this is a bit weak, especially given the genious of the rest of the program.
Also, I can't dubbleclick on a grup to go into edit mode, which has become a cubase sx habit.

Perhaps the biggest point is that INDEED the sound quality changes within reason. It's like some dynamics and some parts of the sound are left out in some strange way. Whenever I use rewire and route my stuff into cubase, I instantly gain headroom, dynamics and a much warmer sound! pffoof just like that. So If i'm not happy with the quality on some sounds I'll just rewire them.

Also, Reason works SOO GOOD with Cubase SX 2 It would be such a shame not to use them.

SUNGOD said:
Eh, i'm over here in iraq reading yalls replies, and i like the insight, but what i'm tryin to figuire out is what do you look for when determining which "sequencer" is right for you?

The best tool that is "right for you" as you put it is one that melts well with your creativity. It's hard to pull one out of thin air that you will work well with not kowing anything abot you, how you create, WHAT you're creating, and ultimately what you're looking for.

But, the cool thing is, most of the big boys have demo versions that are free to download on their website.

Go to www.cakewalk.com... down the demo of Sonar 3.0. Test it out. Then, go to www.steinberg.de and download the demo for Cubase or Nuendo. Try it out.

Go down the list.

Whichever you felt comfortable with, purchase that one.

They all pretty much do the same, with little things here and there. But it's HOW the program does it or the procedures involved that makes one program preferable over another.

That's the best thing you can do before dropping $700+ USD on a program that doesn't fit your needs.

Divstah said:
Perhaps the biggest point is that INDEED the sound quality changes within reason. It's like some dynamics and some parts of the sound are left out in some strange way. Whenever I use rewire and route my stuff into cubase, I instantly gain headroom, dynamics and a much warmer sound! pffoof just like that. So If i'm not happy with the quality on some sounds I'll just rewire them.

Also, Reason works SOO GOOD with Cubase SX 2 It would be such a shame not to use them.

no doubt about it - reason becomes a truly amazing tool when rewired, especially through a pro sequencer like cubase.

Meanwhile back at the ranch ...

"Acid Square 2" is the Reason Subtractor factory preset used by Outkast on "Hey Ya" for the high-pitched synth line.

Totally unprofessional of them to use a preset on such a popular song ... Andre3000 should be taken out and shot. :rolleyes:

OK, enough sarcasm for now ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made money off reason and I'm not a professional musician.

Therefore, Reason is not professional.

...ps - that's about as logical as those who claim reason isn't "professional".

pps. prodigy, moby, outkast, BT, and Kelloggs (frosted flakes, that is) have made money off Reason and I'm pretty sure Tony the Tiger is not a professional musician.

Back