is reason a professional program?

quiz

I used to use FL to produce but ive just started using reason. and all i really want to know is if reason is a pro program that big producers use to make their tracks or is it on the same level as fruity?

I know BT uses Reason for his productions - and he engineers his own music, so its good. I think Reason is a better program than FL, but Project 5 is about equal to Reason (Cakewalk's better all-in-one).

Reason has it's limits that hold it back from doing certain things, but it can still produce some great tracks.

And if you use it rewird to something like Cubase then there's nothing you cant do.

yes!!!!

Reason comes with more pro sounds but with both that and FL you can import your own and put out a tight song.

Reason has to be the most waste of CPU resources ive ever seen.
When you Flip the Rack aroung the Phuckin wires bounce? WTF??? The CPU power needed to animate those silly cables ccould be diverted to something useful, like a way to record Vocals.

Those bouncing wires don't take much CPU at all, and can be disabled anytime you like. It was an easy bit of fun animation, and it's not like they could have added audio recording if they hadn't included the animation.

Reason was never degigned to record audio from the beginning.

It's a great, 100% professional program in use on all kinds of various productions.

The CPU power needed to animate those silly cables ccould be diverted to something useful, like a way to record Vocals

Reason's cable animation isn't exactly what I'd call a CPU hog. Even on relatively older systems It's a minor drain at best. You do know that you have the option to disable that animation right?

(And feel free to rattle off a list of soft synths that have proper support for recording vocals. Reason is hardly alone in that department...)

To answer the original question...

Does it really matter if the "big producers" use Reason or not? Like any other piece of hardware/software, it's merely a collection of tools used to create music - you'll get "professional" results out of it if you put "professional" time and thought into what you're doing. Reason's a rock solid program regardless of who is using it, and it's far more stable/reliable than any version of FL I've ever touched.

DM

Dean McBride said:

Reason's cable animation isn't exactly what I'd call a CPU hog. Even on relatively older systems It's a minor drain at best. You do know that you have the option to disable that animation right?

(And feel free to rattle off a list of soft synths that have proper support for recording vocals. Reason is hardly alone in that department...)

Well.. When Ur a Performance Junkie like I am..stuff like that seem foolish.....It shouldnt be there to begin with..
And Since you insisted:

Sonar/Cubase/Nuendo...Have propper Recording Support..----So Rewire away...

And Its Not Professional unless you make money with it...Atleast that swhat the dictionary says. So use what you want...

And Since you insisted: Sonar/Cubase/Nuendo...Have propper Recording Support

...all of which are audio/MIDI sequencing and recording programs, not dedicated soft synths in their own right. There's a clear difference between the two. The ever-present "everything-in-one-box" camp doesn't seem able to grasp this concept (or Rewire either for that matter) at times.

DM

Carnage said:
Reason has it's limits that hold it back from doing certain things, but it can still produce some great tracks.

And if you use it rewird to something like Cubase then there's nothing you cant do.

thats about all there is to it IMHO. if you get some good VSTs to go along then you've got lots of resources at your disposal.

Reason info

I kow that Outkast used reason on their last album. . . along with other software programs and hardware. So yeah, its like the more you got, depending on the time you put into it, the more prefessional its going to sounds.

BLAH!!!!

Hey everybody,

I don't want to be rude or to insult all the reason users around here but, I get to mix a lot of different stuff in my work. I get to mix projects that's been recorded on a 2" machine, pro tools, cubase, and all the rest. I must say, reason sounds like a really nice toy (and also looks like it). I'm sure it can generate some great stuff if you know your thing but the Sound of reason doesn't sound very "professioanl" to me.

Peace

Mr. Wizard said:
Hey everybody,

I don't want to be rude or to insult all the reason users around here but, I get to mix a lot of different stuff in my work. I get to mix projects that's been recorded on a 2" machine, pro tools, cubase, and all the rest. I must say, reason sounds like a really nice toy (and also looks like it). I'm sure it can generate some great stuff if you know your thing but the Sound of reason doesn't sound very "professioanl" to me.

Peace

As in terms of audio quality?

Well, I guess it depends on what you call "professional sound quality", eh?

Reason was good enough to produce a couple of tracks for the Matrix soundtrack and a few others.

It's been used on quite a few albums already, with more to come.

I know a few jingle houses that have a PC dedicated to Reason (for use as a 'virtual MIDI rack") and it seem to do just fine for them.

But it's just a "toy" with "unprofessional" sound. :rolleyes:

Use what you like ... if you don't like Reason, fine. But it is a professional program by any objective measure.

Aye,

No need to get upset. Just saying what I think...

Anyway, I shall trust My Ears and My Ears only. No offence meant to any of the dedicated users.

Peace

Mr. Wizard said:
Hey everybody,

Peace

...this is why I use Reason to 'compose' and Acid Pro/Soundforge to 'mixdown and master'.

i think even the most dedicated users of reason would agree that it can't be used in isolation if you want to get a great sound from it. i am one of those people. i think very highly of the program, and it is a valuable tool for beginners or pros.

actually, now that i think of it, i have heard some very decent quality come out of reason alone from some people who know how to play it like an instrument. again, like so many other things, it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

btw dansgold - nice av man. congrats.

LT, you know i dont have to say a word about that fly sig. . .

Back