How to promote your music - here are some working methods

i came up with an idea to get my beat tape distributed in stores and wondering what if any legality issues i should be aware of..

so basically i am planning to go to local shops and pitch them my beat tape to distribute to their customers free of charge. i figure its a win win. im getting exposure/distribution and the shop is providing incentive to their customers by giving them a free cd for their purchase.

thoughts?

EXCUSE THE SPELLING MISTAKES!! I AM CURRENTLY DOING THIS FROM WORK LOL :P.

Something else I would suggest. Though the internet is a good way to promote your music, going out and networking outside of it is as important.

Just some suggestions:

Get yourself some business cards. I would suggest having a logo &/or your alias, having your name on there too so people know who you are, obviously contact details (contact number, contact e-mail, address, etc...) & maybe even a link to your website or music page.

2. Invest in getting cds and covers printed. If you have an EP, mixtape or album, get it printed and copied to a CD professionally!
a) If you don't have an EP, Mixtape or Album, just make a compilation of your best beats on the CD.​
b) Make sure your beats are mixed and mastered properly!!​
c) Make sure once again you have contact details on it so potential artists or producers can contact you if interested.​

3. Get out and watch gigs and live shows. Speak to fellow listeners & artists there and network. Building a network outside of the internet is very important. It will be some of your strongest fan base and it will bring plenty of opportunities for collaborations present and future.
a) Look for the important people there. Gig managers & owners of venues are good connections and can hook you up with plenty of gigs & promo for present or future.​
b) Be yourself, be confident, and know your shiet. Don't get yourself in that awkward situation where you’re being asked questions about your music and you've no idea what to say or your answers sound amateur. Know where you want to be, and know who you want to be.​
c) **I HAVE TO PUT A DISCLAIMER ON THIS ONE LOL**. This may go against what you believe in but making yourself sound more accomplished than you are will give you an edge. It may sound dodgy but it works. People will pay more attention to you if you sound like your successful or getting there. I’M NOT SAYING LIE TO PEOPLE, but just to talk your self up a little bit and exaggerate. “Suits” have big heads so you will need to portray your self as important as them cause most of the time they will no show interest.​
d) Hand out your CDs & business cards. There different ways of doing that. The best way would be to personally hand them out to people you’re networking with. That will build a personal rapport between yourself and new network. The other way is to hand it out at random which is good in some cases but saying that it may waste your resources. Hand them out to people that can help you get places. If you have the chose you would be better off handing CDs to 10 DJs then give them to 10 listeners the reason is that if you get 5 of those 10 DJs to play your stuff your reach more of the masses.​

4. If you want to do live gigs, hand your demo to venues and DJs. Also handing them out at shops will help heaps. Make sure you’re careful where you hand them out though you don’t want to waste recourses! Don’t go handing it out at your local supermarket!! Be smart about it, think about with kind of audience you are after. Places like clothing stores, record & music shops and popular youth food joints are the best type of places.
a) ALWAYS ASK FOR PERMISSION BEFORE DOING IT THOUGH or else they may just throw them way & you would have just wasted your demos.​

5. When you meet people that may potentialy be of help get their contact details & make sure you organise their details. I have an excel document with everybodies name, where they are from, who they are working for and how to contact them. Keeping a client list is important for promotion.

6. I MENTIONED THIS BEFORE BUT ITS IMPORTANT. KNOW - YOUR - SH!T. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO JUMP IN AN ELEVATOR WITH SOMEONE ON 5TH FLOOR & GET THEM WANTING TO KNOW WHO YOU ARE BY THE TIME YOU REACH GROUND FLOOR.

PROMOTING IS NOT EASY & PEOPLE MAY FIND IT HARD TO SELL THEMSELVES.

BE CONFIDENT IN YOURSELF & YOUR SKILLS!

CAUSE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF NO ONE ELSE WILL.

Music Marketing Hermit Style

I'm posting in an attempt to provide the basic angle of Internet Marketing Music.

WARNING: This topic is not for the faint of heart. The information I discribe here is not a quick fix to success by any means. Living as a musician can be one of the most difficult things you will ever do. This topic gets very deep very fast as you will soon see. It's very important that you don't spread yourself to thin with all the information I'm about to provide. It's best to try to only dominate 1 thing at a time, before moving on to something else.

Once you get your music uploaded to itunes or soundcloud, etc, etc, What do you do? Sit back and wait for the sales to come streaming in? Or just depend on your lastest gigs and social status? I don't think so, not for me. I don't play out and I'm not socially statused, I build DSP Instruments and Effects, and use these instruments exclusivly in my sample libraries. So I am forced to implement a whole different approach that most musicains are completely blind to, and that is niche marketing.

Niche Marketing in short is like this genre's sub categories: Golfing> Golf Clubs> 9 Irons> Specialty 9 irons

Specialty 9 irons would be a niche market

-now-

All you gotta do is take this concept and translate it into your own musical fancy

My Musical niches are: Golden Ratio Music, Granular Samples, Additive Samples, Additive Synth, Granular Synth, Wavetable samples, Wavetable synth

Get it???

This helps buyers find your stuff. Just gotta be as specific as you can yet maintain popularity, as far as traffic goes.

As Part of My Grand Opening of my new info store I'm Providing only musicians with 100% FREE access to my entire inventory of internet marketing software & ebooks. All you have to do is register and enter "Future Producer Rules!" in the "company" field.

I don't know how long I'll let this offer go for so you better get in before I decide I'm nuts. I'm really reaching out to karma on this one.

This in my opinion, will open many avenues for you to explore in the world of the Music Industry.

Take advantage while you can

Here's my site:

nu3stuff.net

Note: I have to grant you free access manually, so don't expect "instant" access. I'll send an e-mail if and when I grant you FREE access.

Last edited by a moderator:
ad space in music magazines
im poor lol

you know some cheap banners? or free banners of good music magazines?

I would like to add that adding and posting a preview of your music on music social networking sites like soundcloud can definitely boost your online presence.

I just made a soundcloud and put my first track on it, never used it before -- how do people find you? (silly question I know haha)

bookmarked

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

its some good info in here

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

its some good info in here

These tips are pretty great indeed, but as my experience shows that - What works for one, doesn't work for another.
I think that more or less everyone has their own, things what needs to be focused on.

But that's only my opinion. Because i can't seem to get that grind that easy even with a pretty decent work.

Back