From Reason 4 to Live 8

so is that what it's all about???

sample library compatibility?

Again, research Kontakt's AET and Scripting Engine, its much deeper than just file formatz lol. I mentioned the compatibility to indicate that akai format is no longer developed since the z8. The MPC 5000 should not even be mentioned when talking about samplers like Kontakt, whats the max polyphony on an MPC 5000? 64 voice? Maximum of 4 layers?

if i started today and know what i know i would only purchase kontakt (with 3rd party libraries) and a DAW...

with the scripting, articulations, keyswitching etc kontakt is really a "beast...

I see your point about the sampler. You are looking for something that can offer more realistic presets than whats already offered in Reason meanwhile a lot of us are looking for something to simply load our personal samples into. Maybe rather than rebuilding the NNXT a sampler a long the lines of that may be worth while but at the same time aren't the large file sizes part of what makes Kontakt so realistic? Large files means we will have to have a stronger computer which I am under the impression props is trying to keep from doing.

I don't know. I'm not thinking about all of that. I just commented that before people start throwing away Motifs and Fantoms like that Props advertising suggests, Reason needs to be a little more serious. That's all. And I'm not saying that Motifs and Fantoms are amazing when it comes to realistic instruments, but I wouldn't throw them away and replace them with Reason. I have a Motif Rack Es. I wouldn't try to replace it with Reason.

Then again if one wants a realistic guitar why couldn't one just collaborate with a guitar player or learn to play himself.

While you're asking that, you might as well also ask, why not buy a real synth and sequencer rather than all these virtual emulations. Your point perfectly negates the reason that Reason even exists. Especially Reason since everything in it emulates hardware.

Then again if one wants a realistic guitar why couldn't one just collaborate with a guitar player or learn to play himself.

i think the big issue with collaborating with a guitarist is cost...

the money you pay for that one session with a guitarist you could buy the software and have endless sessions with the plug-in...

next point, what happen if the track blows up?

remember lauren hill's album that won about 5 grammys?

well she collaborated with other musicians and when the record started blowing up she got sue left and right because those musicians wanted credit. not only did they want credit for playing on the album they wanted song writing credit...

i forgot the musicians "won" the law suite...

Last edited:
i just watched the vid on NI's website and A.E.T. kinda looks like a feature that i wouldn't really use too much (at first glance)

And I think this further supports Xabiton's point, Reason's sampler does not need to be that advanced, most people that are just making tracks wont understand how to use it. However A programmer/instrument developer can create very interesting articulations using features like AET.

you never used the auto chop in the zone edit features? the 2000xl was the first mpc to have autochop

My bad X. It's been so long and after working with Recycle and Reason (the first RnR) I forgot..lol.
Yeah The autochop in the 2000XL was dope. Set your markers, tell it how many chops 8 or 16 - push Do it.

i just watched the vid on NI's website and A.E.T. kinda looks like a feature that i wouldn't really use too much (at first glance)

once you get in there and realize the power of the feature you will love it...

mojos horn is another kontakt powered library that utilizes the AET technology...

You guys are starting to confuse me with all this new technology talk.

Carry on peepz.

Last edited:
You guys are started to confuse me with all this new technology talk.

Carry on peepz.

"most" of the new breed vsti(s) have this technology...

i.e. omnisphere, trillian, kontakt, halion sonic

i meant sample based new breed vsti(s)....

that is why the libraries are sooooooooooo large...

p.s. just to be clear...

kontakt calls the technology AET but specstrasonic and steinberg calls the technology something different. specstrasonic calls the technology SAGE; not sure what steinberg calls it...

Last edited:
And I think this further supports Xabiton's point, Reason's sampler does not need to be that advanced, most people that are just making tracks wont understand how to use it.

Again, all of what you just said, can be said of Reason itself. According to this logic, Reason itself should be a lot less sophisticated since most people won't know how to use it. I fail to see how this makes any sort of point.

At the end of the day, if a man loads a patch called, "acoustic guitar", what does he expect it to sound like.

A. Piano
B. accordian
C. Acoustic Guitar.

LOL The rest of this talk about what a sampler needs to be and who can understand it is just rambling.

Again, all of what you just said, can be said of Reason itself. According to this logic, Reason itself should be a lot less sophisticated since most people won't know how to use it. I fail to see how this makes any sort of point.

At the end of the day, if a man loads a patch called, "acoustic guitar", what does he expect it to sound like.

A. Piano
B. accordian
C. Acoustic Guitar.

LOL The rest of this talk about what a sampler needs to be and who can understand it is just rambling.

Bro, I believe every sound that I ever pulled up in reason sounded like the source instrument they sampled to a great extent. Expressiveness, dynamics and articulations are a different issue altogether and have more to do with performance than sampling. Although some samplers have features which allow the user to achieve more realistic articulations, Expressiveness ultimately comes from the user's playing technique and skill level. Even with the most highly intricate Kontakt multisample library out there, the user still has the opportunity to remove the realism of this instrument simply through poor playing/performance. You seem to be implying that Reason's current sampler does not have the ability to load highly detailed sample libraries and I dont agree with this.

A. Piano
B. accordian
C. Acoustic Guitar.

I like your music mayne! I left a few comments.

I can agree with Reason's sampler not having the ability to emulate a realistic acoustic guitar to it's fullest... but can only take that with a grain of salt because I'd say the same for EVERY hardware workstation keyboard in existence.

And I'm speaking for Acoustic guitar, they do just fine with bass and even though the electric patches in the Factory Bank kinda suck, the technology is there to create good electric guitar patches(plenty of refills have them).

Last edited:
and that's the thing...i think there's TWO kinds of producers (generally)...

the type that's more focused on sound design...and the type that's more focused on accurate instrument emulation...

Last edited:
Back