From Reason 4 to Live 8

im not hip hop producer im a music producer i make more music than just hip hop. i'm starting to dislike hip hop because its too easy for me to do these days but when were talking about samplers you be suprised how much i know about samplers but in all reality i feel that people get too technical with in comes to samplers especially ones in reason 5 because they want everyt to be like the next sampler that they prefer .....all samplers and companies are meant to be different. if someone made a dope beat with anyone of these sample would you be able to tell the difference at the end of the day just by listening to the music. No!!!!!!.... we as so called producers have gotten caught up in the b.s these companies try to pull into instead of making music.

Last edited:
im not hip hop producer im a music producer i make more music than just hip hop. i'm starting to dislike hip hop because its too easy for me to do these days but when were talking about samplers you be suprised how much i know about samplers but in all reality i feel that people get too technical with in comes to samplers especially ones in reason 5 because they want everyt to be like the next sampler that they prefer .....all samplers and companies are meant to be different. if someone made a dope beat with anyone of these sample would you be able to tell the difference at the end of the day just by listening to the music. No!!!!!!.... we as so called producers have gotten caught up in the b.s these companies try to pull into instead of making music.

So true!

im not hip hop producer im a music producer i make more music than just hip hop. i'm starting to dislike hip hop because its too easy for me to do these days but when were talking about samplers you be suprised how much i know about samplers

You said "samplers are samplers". It's not the kind of statement that a person who knows about samplers would make. I'm just saying.

but in all reality i feel that people get too technical with in comes to samplers especially ones in reason 5 because they want everyt to be like the next sampler that they prefer

Technical. You mean like, you want a guitar to sound like a guitar when you play it? I don't think I could get any less technical than that.

.....all samplers and companies are meant to be different. if someone made a dope beat with anyone of these sample would you be able to tell the difference at the end of the day just by listening to the music. No!!!!!!....

You can't be serious. It's like you're saying, you can't tell the difference between a real guitarist, and something played in Reason!!!!

Or to make it simple enough for someone who knows a surprising amount about samplers, What if Person A used that new Electri6ty joint, you know the one that is the most amazing things this side of a real guitarist with a real guitar. And person B used Reason which somebody just compared to "low quality hardware" to make a point.

Go listen to Electri6ty and get a perspective, then ask the same question again. Off the bat, that Electricity joint sounds just like a real guitar, period. It is super sophisticated. It's a jetcar and NN-XT is two mules and a wagon compared to it. Have you ever ridden in a wagon? I have. My grandfather had one...with 2 mules, so I know from first hand experience that...well let's just say, it ain't no jetcar.

we as so called producers have gotten caught up in the b.s these companies try to pull into instead of making music.

The bs is actually that companies sell massive 50 and 100 gig "libraries" with precious few instruments that have any chance of sounding real. And most of those would be drums and percs. The rest are crap that aren't worth the space on your hard drive. The bs is that a lot of cats are more interested in counting the number of (crap) patches, than concerning themselves with the quality of each patch. The bs is that a lot of cats don't actually know what it is that makes a quality instrument. Otherwise, you would not have said anything you said so far.

i use reason/record primarily and renoise (and plugins obviously) secondary. i have komplete so yes i have kontakt. comparing kontakt to the nnxt is a non-contest in some ways because kontakt just totally destroys it. i don't have that many huge multisampled libraries (because atm i don't have enough HD space...) but the thing is an amazing sonic sculpting tool.

tbh though when i'm not using reason/record i don't even use a plugin sampler as renoise is already a sampler/sequencer and it fits MY PERSONAL needs quite well.

as for the nnxt. i actually quite like it. it's really a simplistic and straight forward sampler to use. one of my biggest gripes with the nnxt (and all reason samplers) was the lack of some simple sample editing options. this has been thankfully rectified in reason 5. tbh though the only time i end up using the nnxt is in combinators and that's because of the official props refills (abbey roads, electric bass...). when i'm doing drums i prefer to load up the nn19 or redrum, and now kong. if i'm just loading up single samples i load them up in the nn19 as well. most elements of my songs are synth based.

i love sound design and that is why i love reason/record. the simple to understand modular nature of the program is second to none. but because i love sound design and software i also don't like the idea of closing myself off with using only reason. that is why i like to use renoise and some vsts. there are just some amazing vsts out there that i want to use. do i need to use them? hell no. i don't need to make music either.

in terms of sound quality i really think that propellerheads need to step up their synth game. in terms of modularity and flexibility the combination of all the reason synths and effects is amazing. but in terms of sound quality there have been some recent synths that have come along and have really stepped the game up. i'm talking about the fxpansion synthsquad bundle, u-he's ace and waldorf's largo. there are others of course but those are just a few examples.

i love thor and malstrom. but the subtractor is just extremely (tho i still layer multiple instances for my sub sometimes...). i believe that props also need to upgrade the effects. some new eqs and compressors. a god damn dedicated filter unit (they could just make a super eq/filter) and where the hell is the god damn spectrum anaylser? there better be one in Record 2.0. i like mixing in Record but i really wish there was a spectrum anaylser in there.

i used to rewire reason first into renoise and then into reaper but it was too much of a hassle. i know some people do it but i just can't. when i'm using renoise i'll just load up a VST instead. it's about a million times simpler and more efficient.

i actually make very minimal music so a lot of the time my tracks are a lot simpler than most people's. while it's true we don't need a million tools to make good music, it is a fact that technology moves forward and it's kind of non-nonsensical to not want to embrace new and better technologies.

i want to use the best synths and fx. not because i can't make music without them but because if they're there why not? the plugin format (that props have shunned) gives people more options. i for one would have almost no use for the new electri6ty library because i don't use guitars much in my music. i do however use trillian and while that may be overkill for some people it suits me very well because my music is quite bass-centric.

for my personal workflow reason/record works very well (atm). but i like to use other things as well (even though i mostly just using renoise as a host nowadays to create sounds and export as wav to use in reason/record). but i can completely understand that it might not be all that useful for others (due to the closed nature of the program).

in regards to ableton, i really like their company. i like their design, their marketing and their attitude. last year when they came out and admitted their product was a buggy piece of shit i thought it was a very brave move. from what i've heard they've really worked on making it stable and their most recent version is supposed to be quite stable. i had planned on getting ableton and maxforlive but i think i'll hold off on that for a while now as i've been using reaktor a lot lately. i never dug that deep into reaktor before but i've been reading up and experimenting a lot lately. i think with 5.5 i'll try to get deeper into the program.

Terror you're very knowledgeable. I learn alot from reading your post.

I have to hear your music bro. Wzup?

It's not about having a zillion features. Most people are certainly not going to get in there and build quality instruments that take 6 months to make. However, what's the point of having a "guitar" patch that due to the limitations of the sampler can't possibly be made to sound like a guitar. The main purpose of serious samplers these days is to be able to play back high quality instruments with realism. Kontakt is the engine behind most of them these days. I personally have no interest in ever building a guitar patch, but when I reach for one, I would like for it to sound like a guitar.

On the other hand, your logic could be applied to the whole of Reason. Don't you think? Just how many people are using Reason anywhere near it's fullest potential?
I see your point about the sampler. You are looking for something that can offer more realistic presets than whats already offered in Reason meanwhile a lot of us are looking for something to simply load our personal samples into. Maybe rather than rebuilding the NNXT a sampler a long the lines of that may be worth while but at the same time aren't the large file sizes part of what makes Kontakt so realistic? Large files means we will have to have a stronger computer which I am under the impression props is trying to keep from doing. Then again if one wants a realistic guitar why couldn't one just collaborate with a guitar player or learn to play himself. Different strokes I guess. As far as using all of Reason's features I know I haven't hell I have never not once used the Matrix device. I don't see myself using the Line 6 amps in Record or the time stretch but I do love the things that I do use in it.

Just to be Fair, Reason's sampler capabilities are not so far off from what most hardware workstations are able to do aside from "Slicing". No hardware workstation compares to Kontakt and I dont think Propellerhead is in a bind nor rush to compete with Native Instruments and the Kontakt engine. Even with the most powerful script written in Kontakt, playing a guitar in Kontakt will not sound as convincing as a skilled guitarist playing their stratocaster. My thought is that propellerheads approach to sampling is more about sound design and creativity which is much different from NI's approach to sampling and instruments. I pay close attention to Propellerheads message, look at how they marketed the live sampling feature....it wasnt about creating complex multisampled libraries, it was about allowing a new way for users to create their own inspirational samples to incorporate into their music. This is my personal opinion as a professional sound designer and user of Reason

Research the Capabilities of AET as well as the possibilities of Kontakt's Scripting for starters....

This is my personal opinion

sounds right...

Reason is definitely more of a sound "design" program than a "realistic / emulation" application.

but what's so special about Kontakt though?

i've been hearing a lot about that app lately...

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

lol...I wrote the samething at the sametime.

lol...that's dope
:cheers:

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

I dont think Propellerhead is in a bind nor rush to compete with Native Instruments and the Kontakt engine

in other words, "propellerhead don't wanna see native instruments"
:smokinFP:

in other words, "propellerhead don't wanna see native instruments"
:smokinFP:
props dont wanna see any other software company thats not really their idea. they want to offer hardware in the software environment. the idea of reason isnt to replace a vst its to replace a triton.

props dont wanna see any other software company thats not really their idea. they want to offer hardware in the software environment. the idea of reason isnt to replace a vst its to replace a triton.

And in the context of studio production, it definitely does for many.

Congratulations on finding a better solution

Last edited:
Congratulations on finding a better solution

Thank you sir. My wife is really impressed with my new music.
She said, you like that new app huh? Hell Yeah baby! lol.

Live's sampler (simpler) is very similar to The MPC 2000XL

The 2000XL didn't have auto-chop so I'm spoiled now.

Last edited:
Thank you sir. My wife is really impressed with my new music.
She said, you like that new app huh? Hell Yeah baby! lol.

Live's sampler (simpler) is very similar to The MPC 2000XL

The 2000XL didn't have auto-chop so I'm spoiled now.
you never used the auto chop in the zone edit features? the 2000xl was the first mpc to have autochop

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

even the mpc 5000?

and wouldn't your opinion on NI products be a tad biased based on your affiliation w/ the company?
the mpc 5k isnt that great of a sampler the synth isnt that great either

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

And in the context of studio production, it definitely does for many.
I know I find myself using my hardware less and less these days. If I ever get to tracking all of my music from my EPS it may find its way on ebay because the classics are going for like $400-$500 right now. I bought mine for $75 lol.

you never used the auto chop in the zone edit features? the 2000xl was the first mpc to have autochop

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

the mpc 5k isnt that great of a sampler the synth isnt that great either

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

I know I find myself using my hardware less and less these days. If I ever get to tracking all of my music from my EPS it may find its way on ebay because the classics are going for like $400-$500 right now. I bought mine for $75 lol.

save some hardware for Jr to play with lol

@F or DEAF
the MPC 5000 features are not even fully on par with the Akai Z8, which is still quite inferior to Kontakt on many levels. Kontakt is the most highly supported sample format today, nobody is really producing sample libraries made to utilize akai format samplers lol, that day passed years ago.

Kontakt is the most highly supported sample format today, nobody is really producing sample libraries made to utilize akai format samplers lol, that day passed years ago.

so is that what it's all about???

sample library compatibility?

Back