Dr Dre, Neptunes, Timbaland, Kanye Drum Samples....How?

Pete Rock DOES use library drums [in addition to his 60k strong vinyl collection]. Here is a snippet of the interview from Sound on Sound magazine:
Do you do a lot of processing with the drum sounds?
Yeah, actually, I do. And when I'm listening to my collection, I find a lot of sounds on records like snares, kicks, hi-hats, you name it — timbales, whatever. There are a lot of sounds that come from records, but then I have sound-library CDs with drum sounds and other sounds that go into beats.
When a sound comes off a sample CD, do you usually have to fatten up the sound?
Yeah. Most of them you have to beef up — EQ them right and things of that nature, like adding another piece of sound to make it sound fuller. I always try to combine ****. I definitely layer sounds. I like to compress certain sounds and beats using the Tube-Tech compressors, because I can take any type of dirty sound from a record and clean it up. I like Eventide processors, and Rane has a few processors I like. Roland has a few compressors I like to use for vocals.

- ps this is from an interviewed I copied and pasted to a word document. I believe it was from SOS, but if need be, I'll dig up the original link.

Peace,

Atlas
scizzorhandz said:
Chop Out those KICKs And Snares...........PETE ROCK EVEN SAYS it PLAIN HE DOES NOT USE LIBRARY DRUMS "STRICTLY OLD BREAKS!!!!!!!!"

Enjoy

http://www.drumaddikt.com/

They most likely use everything...live musicians, samples, sample cds all of that. Sometimes they dont even make their own drums, engineers are paid to make drum kits and find samples for them. Then they pick from there. Alot of it comes in the post production too.

MrJames851 said:
Dre plays his drums live himself and then samples them and hooks them up to his liking (source: inaugural issue of Scratch Magazine)
Actually, in that article, Dre says he usually samples off of vinyl, but he does play drums himself also (the picture of him playing is funny).

but as far as Timbaland playing drums, that one guy is right in sayin that he plays percussion, but not drums. in that Making Da Band Video, he is just creating a rythm by bangin on a tom and a snare, the same way you would create a rythm by bangin on a table.

Makin da band video with Timbaland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rDBUXxYmk8

Last edited by a moderator:
i always hear eq ur drums and all that. how do u guys do that? do u use software like sound forge or wha? get at me .payce.

home made loops already loops who cares music iz music kanye and pharell and tim dont do shyt differently then most of us. they just in a positon 4 folks 2 hear them 1st

You can get sounds from break beats, use a MPC to chopp the different parts, if you don't have that use programs like Adobe Audition to chop those parts out. EQ'n is a great way to make the drums sound the way you want them, you can aslo stack them (kicks; snares) in a different key to get a sound you like...experiment...noone here can tell you really how to get your own sound...that will come when you experiment/try out things and if you like it use it...

But yes, by the way...you can get some gritty drums from soul, funk, jazzy records!
Most of the Hip Hop from the 80s=90's used jazzy and funk samples in the music...

Regarding software for MAC try Reason, Garage Band and/or Logic

^^^
yo i just got my mpc 2000 like 2 weeks ago. i finally got time to sit at it today but anyways i dont see a eq function. havent seen one in the manual. or is eq'ing done with messing with the attack and all that stuff thats found under the "PARAMS" function? fill me in .payce.

scizzorhandz said:
Chop Out those KICKs And Snares...........PETE ROCK EVEN SAYS it PLAIN HE DOES NOT USE LIBRARY DRUMS "STRICTLY OLD BREAKS!!!!!!!!"

Enjoy

http://www.drumaddikt.com/
Right...go to youtube.com and you will see some producers ( i.e. Kev Brown, JUs Blaze, Black Milk, Heatmakers) using there MPC's to make beats. Some of these producers use beat disk and chop some steal from others hahaha and make big bucks..thats the truth....

And good looking out on those drum breaks...cool...I have alot of 'em all ready but some I dont have. Thanks

cris sity said:
home made loops already loops who cares music iz music kanye and pharell and tim dont do shyt differently then most of us. they just in a positon 4 folks 2 hear them 1st

I second that

Nice post! I learned a lot just reading through from page 1. I agree with cris sity
cris sity said:
They prolly create new sounds from anything and everywhere, and use stock sounds from whatever hardware/software, CD's and whatever else anybody here does. If you produced a major artist's album everybody would be trying to figure out what you do too, so do what you do and get good at it so you can lead the way for me to learn on FP

the vid of just blaze i saw was him takin drums(live drums) off of records not really playing them....like samplin a buddy rich record, cuz alot of the sounds and drum patterns he uses are damn near the exact same as the original....but true he might go into the studio and record one shots on a real drum set, also remember that guys like that can also pay good ass drummers to come in and play what they have envisioned in their mind

elohiminc said:
i dont know about all that... i c u're one of those do it for the money typah weirdos..lol... youngin is tryin to get his own sound.. which is good.. drums are very important.. and so is having your own kit...

Well Said!

as we can all see from this post and many many others like it about producers and their sounds. Most longtime producers use many different techniques over time. Probably when they started and didn't have much money they sampled off records, used sample libraries, and drum machines. Then when they had more resources, recorded their own sounds in a studio, brought in live players, played drums themselves (drums are drums, it doesn't matter if it is one or one hundred. if you are making a beat with a drum, you are playing drums), etc.
Then they can also mix and match all these techniques for what works for the sound of the project, what the artist is looking for, or what inspires them at the moment.

I think it is a big mistake to use the same drum sounds in every track. or even the same technique. your ear is what gives you your sound, not your kit. I'm not saying you won't end up using sounds you like over and over again. but you should be able to bring your own style to any and every technique.
Look at Timbo. He is where he is today because he can be so versatile. making one beat out of just keyboard sounds and the next out of just layered beat boxes recorded in the studio, and the next after that a straight jacked sample loop.

Your ear will tell you want to do. there are literally hundreds of techniques for manipulating drums on this site. play with them and learn what each technique does. Then no matter where you get your sounds from for that track, you will be able to shape and layer the sounds to please your ear. that will be your sound. it is not something you decide on, it is something that you create overtime.

earwizzle said:
as we can all see from this post and many many others like it about producers and their sounds. Most longtime producers use many different techniques over time. Probably when they started and didn't have much money they sampled off records, used sample libraries, and drum machines. Then when they had more resources, recorded their own sounds in a studio, brought in live players, played drums themselves (drums are drums, it doesn't matter if it is one or one hundred. if you are making a beat with a drum, you are playing drums), etc.
Then they can also mix and match all these techniques for what works for the sound of the project, what the artist is looking for, or what inspires them at the moment.

I think it is a big mistake to use the same drum sounds in every track. or even the same technique. your ear is what gives you your sound, not your kit. I'm not saying you won't end up using sounds you like over and over again. but you should be able to bring your own style to any and every technique.
Look at Timbo. He is where he is today because he can be so versatile. making one beat out of just keyboard sounds and the next out of just layered beat boxes recorded in the studio, and the next after that a straight jacked sample loop.

Your ear will tell you want to do. there are literally hundreds of techniques for manipulating drums on this site. play with them and learn what each technique does. Then no matter where you get your sounds from for that track, you will be able to shape and layer the sounds to please your ear. that will be your sound. it is not something you decide on, it is something that you create overtime.

This quote will go down in history!

Drums all come down to each producers ear. If you in it for the guac all you need is some 808 claps and kicks nowadays but if you wanna have some longevity and respect in this game here you need to be able to use alot of different **** so it's better to just do what each track tells you to do.

Samples here

Yo people check out the samples
It's really good ..

If someone can offer me beatmaker vst i really appriciate it.
Any one can provide me a Konkat video tutorial pls email to mye a link

http://www.freewebs.com/productionsamples/industrysamplekits.htm

djbuddhikapereracw6.jpg

Actually, I think Pete Rock uses the VINYL drum as his main drum, but sometimes uses Library CD's drums to layer underneath of them.

Back