Dr Dre, Neptunes, Timbaland, Kanye Drum Samples....How?

benjiboko

Hi. When manking music i try to make my drums sound as original as possible by layering them up. I am mainly talking about the snare and kick. The other elements still matter to me. Its so easy to tell a snare from one another, and to recognise one. Where did all these producers get there original drums from that we can recognise them as producers when we hear them. The fat snares and rides or dr dre, the high snares, cabasas and low low kicks of neptunes, the claps, squelches and hard drums of kanye and timbalands dark sounds. How did these producers get there drums, did they make them themselves or did someone else make them? I just dont want to ever do something in music and be recognised for using drums from any old sample library. What do all of you think. Ben

Records (mostly) and from they they tweak and or layer them with out sounds to give em a feel.

nobody cares what drums you use. dudes are still going platinum looping funky drummer.

Yea true. But those four producers arent, they are 4 of the best and are using their own individual orginal drums. Where do i look on records then? Soul/funk jazz is so diverse. I use a mac. What program is best for chopping samples/loops up into segments automatically and assigning them to keys on the keyboard? Thanks

if you're looking for a straight answer: dre uses vinyl, neptunes use real drums, timbaland uses keyboards/modules, and kanye uses sample disks. i'm probably 100% wrong, but there it is.

eq to shape ur drums to sound different or u could layer, or do both to achieve an even different sound

records break beats.com also timbaland and the neps use ALOT of emu drums and some triton ones so their not verry original lol

bigzone said:
nobody cares what drums you use. dudes are still going platinum looping funky drummer.
i dont know about all that... i c u're one of those do it for the money typah weirdos..lol... youngin is tryin to get his own sound.. which is good.. drums are very important.. and so is having your own kit...

Dre plays his drums live himself and then samples them and hooks them up to his liking (source: inaugural issue of Scratch Magazine)

Neptunes, Pharrell uses the drums on the keyboards or the ones Chad put on a hard drive for him to use (source: MTV article about Pharrell's album) and sometimes live sounds (source: Remix Magazine article w/ Neptunes), Chad hooks up the sounds on the keyboards, modules, ..., and he samples (he used to be a DJ) (source: Remix Magazine article w/ Neptunes)

Timbaland plays his drums live and tweaks them (source: Making the Band 3 episode showing him making the Danity Kane song - Right Now) as well as sampling (you can hear breakbeats he's used like the drums in Fabolous - Right Now & Later On for instance, coincidence that I used to 'Right Now' songs lol),he also has a lot of VSTi synth plug-ins on the computer (source: Remix magazine article with him, Missy & Jimmy D)

Kanye uses sampled drums (source: you can hear it if you know your breaks and old records, but he talks about it in different articles, and "sample disks", like the one he tried to copy from Eminem, usually means a producer's personal collection of drums they put together, like when you make your own presets)

Relevent Muzik said:
No on here knows unless we seen them do it. As you see everyone thinks they are right... :-/

Nah...MrJames...Is actually right...

I've seen Timbo record his drums...Timbo can actually play drums, like on that Drumline tip/...He be bangin them boys like the lil boy in the "Drop It Like Its Hot" video...

I've seen Dre play the drums, I duno about melodies(he hums them like Em), but I've seen him play the drums...

Everbody and they momma kno Kanye samples EVERYTHING...he'd prolly sample himself takin a sh*t then turn around and make it a snare or sumthin, all that man do is tweak...

Neptunes...Use every aspect of the keyboard imaginable...They use old ass keyboards 2...& don't 4get they have millions @ their disposal so they can afford 2 get that $8,000/ 10inch LCD screen keyboard with everything on it...

People jus look for their type of sh*t...Wheither they find it by accident or not, they find it...I still ain't found mines yet...I think it'll prolly be a clap though, wit some stupid lil effect behind it...

that's why I gave sources, I didn't make that up, that's the information that has been made available, but I know a lot of people have information from wherever that may or may not be true

timbo plays persussion not drums he mostly used the emu racks and prob samples cds. man im not lying when i tell yall LOT off ppl use ithink its breakbeats.com samples, neps, tim, dre, key they are the #1 sample soure in the world.

neptunes have used alot of emu **** too i know this cos ive heard them drums on all the emu racks like 395820395803 times. it just so happens that timbo and the neps have lots of emu **** AND have similar drums.

dre we ALL kknow gets his samples on record he might play live too but no one actualya knows that.

well im pretty sure kanye uses sampled drums cause i remeber off of his album college dropout he used the drum samples off of explosive he said it in the last track on the cd its about 10 mins long but its in there (by Dr.Dre also the same beat Erykah Badu recorded bag lady on) so im pretty sure hs jus uses sampled drums ive done it before all you have to do is isolate the snare or the kick i dont do it to often though

yo if you want an original sound, i think youn should use live drums and tune them to your liking,if not then alot of rock records i think have good drum breaks alot of soul and jazz too

Jimba, Tim was playin drums on Making the Band 3 atleast

I know him & Nepts use E-mu, I noticed some of there stuff on the Proteus & Mo'Phatt

I also caught one of the Tell Me When To Go (E-40) synths on the Proteus

naw tim wasnt play drums did u see him sitting down...right arm on the hats left hand on the snar right foot on the kick? no

he was playing percussion, anyone can do that. he cna play percussion not drums.

belive it or not ALOT of big dogs use sample cds

ALIASTrP said:
well im pretty sure kanye uses sampled drums cause i remeber off of his album college dropout he used the drum samples off of explosive he said it in the last track on the cd its about 10 mins long but its in there (by Dr.Dre also the same beat Erykah Badu recorded bag lady on) so im pretty sure hs jus uses sampled drums ive done it before all you have to do is isolate the snare or the kick i dont do it to often though

He didnt use the drums. he used the pattern, and it was for a Jay z beat. Unless he bit dre again

JimbaFrosty said:
naw tim wasnt play drums did u see him sitting down...right arm on the hats left hand on the snar right foot on the kick? no

he was playing percussion, anyone can do that. he cna play percussion not drums.

belive it or not ALOT of big dogs use sample cds

wow man, you kinda uppity

he was standing in the booth playing a snare DRUM and a bass DRUM
smh
and that was just the snippet that they showed us, who knows what else he did

and also a friend of mine went to the same high school as Tim and said that he played drums in the band, pic is up at the school with the Gumby, but that I can't vouch for, only what I saw with my own eyes

Back