Developing a Rap Voice

Lmao @ your verse.

Dude it's not your voice, it's your confidence. Everyone knows I have a light voice (think Eminem), but I flip it. You have to strengthen your delivery and swagger. Hope this helps you out.

good shyt. i'd like to start rapping. i think i sound iight if i want to be a "smooth" rapper. like pharrell for example. i know i wouldnt sound that great being aggressive. idk. i gotta find out if i can do this shyt or not. i been busy making beats... and collecting sounds

everyone thought wayne's voice was horrible..sounded like a dying woodchuck. but then he brought that swagger with him and his own flows, styles, confidence that makes so many love him.

dude said "straightupattawatta wit my marc jacob goggles"...wack...but he made it work.

You should start, ezbiz. If there's one thing I've learned from this post, it's that even if your voice sucks, as long as you have flow and swagger, you're probably good to go. Probably. I sure as hell wouldn't want to hear Woody Allen rapping.

That's hilarious, m22! Was I really that off beat? Now I just need to mail that song to local radio stations and I'm good to go. Hahaha!

dog, it's not u'r voice, it's u'r delivery. u got no flow at all.

u mentioned that u'r tryin to sound like melle mel and them, and u do! the thing is, that was the early 80's. not only have times changed, but techniques are more advanced (not taking anything away from the pioneers, i'm just sayin...)

i saw the furious five on the bassment last year, and one of them actually flowed just like u'd expect a 14 year old to flow today (like jay z!)

that's not to say that u shouldn't flow like that. if u'r goin for an pre-rakim-era flow and that's what u want, u got it! but i think most people wouldn't be interested. but if that's what makes u happy, and u just want to make music, by all means go ahead and do it!

I think it would be cool if I could get some of both types of flow, because I do love the pioneers, yet I do love the new stuff, too.

Nah, the vocoder would be the easy way out. I actually just got on the mic to practice, and I think I'm getting better. I'm not trying to disguise my voice, I'm being myself. I'll try to post a track later this week. Probably the weekend.

MattMik said:
I think it would be cool if I could get some of both types of flow, because I do love the pioneers, yet I do love the new stuff, too.

Nah, the vocoder would be the easy way out. I actually just got on the mic to practice, and I think I'm getting better. I'm not trying to disguise my voice, I'm being myself. I'll try to post a track later this week. Probably the weekend.

dog it doesn't come to u in a week! lol

the fastest i've ever seen anybody really improve their flow was probably like 2 months. and that's cuz he was in the booth every day! and still it was a rare case!

have patience, but still try hard!

Haha, I love that video. "Yo. Uhuh. It's ya boi Envy. Uhuh. Uhuh. Yeah. Uhuh." "See I'm the best man. I did it." Yeah. Real smooth. At least they're using an SM58.

Didnt really read everyone elses reply so if anything is repeated forgive me.

What you need to do is stop really being self concious of what you sound like, worrying about that aint gonna get you no where - its going to make it worse cause your minds on "damn i look/sound like a fool" and its not on your music.

Tweaking your voice with effects and eq can only do so much, your voice is your voice and no amount of tweaking can really change that. Mics make somewhat of a difference though.

In the clip you posted up you sounded rushed, this could be cause of a couple things (at least in my experience when performing music, not necessarily rapping): your either rushing because your nervous and subconciously you just wanna get it out and overwith, you dont have a track in the background (though you may have rushed anyways), your not focused on your music and presentation stand alone but more as how it will be percieved by listeners.

When recording dont get stuck in the mindset that because your in front of a mic you need to do awesome everytime, thats puttin too much pressure on yourself. Relax. Start out with a flow like you would when you got a couple of brews in you and your just chillin a cypher with your homies, it might help to put you in a better mindstate and get your juices flowin. Once your feelin loose start to focus more on your words and delivery, sometimes the voice doesnt sound right because your attempting to change your sound by using a flow or persona that doesnt fit your voice. Say if eminem used andre 3000s flow, dude would probably sound wack.

You gotta get comfortable with your voice, it wont change that much. I may sound redundant but part of your voice sounding bad is because your uncomfortable with it, embrace it and use it as a tool to improve instead of trying to use outside influences to improve your voice because that will be hard to do and i think will sound bogus and forced.

Smoke cigs.

create ur own flow thats the secret to standing out...jeezy and gucci did it nas and jay-z did it...bone thugs and twista did it...t.i. did it...luda did it if u listen to all those rappers they got their own flow even nelly got his own one of a kind flow....and chamillionaire,young dro.. the list goes on and on every rapper got to stand out copying lil wayne or somebody is not going to help u...taking a played out flow from the 80's aint good at all...copying someone elses swag is a no no even if it is grand master flash's lol it alright to study them though so u can get a idea on how to make ur own

I've been practicing a bit recently, and I just recorded a short beat with me rapping. Tell me what you think! Personally, I do think I need to develop my flow and swagger, but I think the voice I use when I rap has improved.

I just ordered a pop filter, and hopefully it will come soon. I'm using a really bad sound card right now. I still have to order a new one.

Still no bueno...just my opinion though...as much as you like to pay homage to the 80s its still good to add your own flavor to it...I can't see anyone listening to this. Not trying to be mean man, just my criticism.

Back