Developing a Rap Voice

DCross said:
lol... yall goin hard on dude...
You gotta listen to the greats, pac, big, big daddy kane, snoop, pun..etc... see how they use their voices as instruments... you gotta ride the beat... intergrate your voice into the music and become a part of the song... build your confidence, and dont worry about your friends...
When I 1st started makin beats people laughed but you use the negativity as fuel and GO Hard!!!

This is soft, trust me, someone along the status of a Diddy or Russell Simmons would've probably made him suicidal.........

werd u need to work on ur flow/delivery scheme.
it was a lil choppy. . . it needs to be fluid.
i know u cant help it being ur voice, but it sounds like ur not breathing well.
its like ur rapping with a blocked nose. u may need some simple breathing techniques.

anyhoo. . .

ur voice sounds very flat/monotone.
basic steps would be too add layers, add some depth. . . and some slight reverb.

here a quick idea of layering and eq'in on ur acapella.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackpot ProductionZ said:
This is soft, trust me, someone along the status of a Diddy or Russell Simmons would've probably made him suicidal.........

you got a point..... dude just need to practice... there is no easy fix to what he wants to achieve...

I'm very old school, so that's why I haven't heard much past the 80's. Fortunately, I am getting into Tupac and the rap of the era where emcees wore stuff other than Kangol hats.

I should learn to battle hard. Like real hard, so if someone makes fun of me, I'll school them right there.

You don't have the confidence to rap in your own house, what makes you think you can battle dudes? not trying to make fun of you but you have to learn to walk before you can run.

I was going through the same thing. Really I still am. But all you can do is continue to work. Get comfortable being in front of that mic. You'll get some swagger, dude.

Here is your practical exercise:

Take some of your lines. (Not this test.) Pick some of the more popular rappers.

Say your lines with the voice and flow that they would use. How would Jay-Z spit my verse? How would 2Pac have done it? How would Eminem do it?

This is how many musicians get their style. Same principles.

Wish you well, young man.

Last edited:
You're white, right? Not that it matters, so am I. My rapping was similar to yours when I first started- flow was choppy, voice wasn't very deep, and I wasn't putting much "power" into it.
Some advice- work on getting your voice a little bit lower, listen to a lot of the greats and rap along with them like someone else mentioned. Also, rap like you really mean it. Like you want the whooooole world to hear you.
Something else that makes a good rapper is being able to hold a note. Lets you put emphasis and dynamics in your voice while you rap.

Yup, I am white.

I've been listening to B.I.G. and 2Pac recently. I prefer B.I.G., but they're both great rappers.

Every rapper has there own unique voice and sound what you need to do is just practice and develop a unique sound of your own, don't worry about trying to sound like every other rapper. Eminem is also white but alot of people dig his music. Just keep practicing an you'll eventually find your own style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I've been practicing recently, and I think I've gotten a little bit better. Here's an MP3 of my raps with a simple beat I made (actually just sampled two beats). Tell me what you think.

And if any of you still think that I sound scared to rap, it's because my brother was sleeping in the other room. When I actually record, I'll rap at a better volume.

i hated my voice as well...but i got so confident in my writing and delivery, i was like they just gonna have to get used to the voice...i've been gettin' nothing but positive feedback...

Back