Command Station Owners Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have searched it ... many times.... cannt find overwrite... jst tell me yo

What are you trying to Overwrite?

and Why do you want to overwrite?

Did you read your Manual?

Dont just glance through the manual, take your time and read it..its helpful..

Originally Posted by NuWay
yeah i tried readiong the manual but it is long and boring....

gotta tell u, mp-7 is not the most intuitive piece of gear ive ever seen...

can somebody please tell me how to switch to overwrite mode instead of overdub???

Overwrite mode.. So this means that you want to erase what is already written.. You will have to erase what is written either note by note or the entire melody, drums.. whatever, Use your erase function then press the note or notes you want to erase.. Or go into your pattern menu and select erase track..

Someone ask about Arps... First the recording the Arps is great, you are not stealing someone else's stuff.. You can also alter the pattern.. what you hear as the riff or Arp.. you don't have to keep.. I may like how this synth sounds so I use the arp but go into the Arp User patterns and create your own Sounding arp.. you can control how it will sound, which direction it will go, have a different note reference, and so on.. PLUS Make your own arps.. Oh wait a minute I've just told you how to start making your own... Here is a tip of my own.....You may like a certain riff or arp that came with the Command Station, did you know you can just use the first couple of measures or notes and then ADD your own to it at the same time?? So then you can have people say "oh that sounds like .. but it's Different" Creativity baby.. Chop up the riffs and add you own flavor to it.. Cuz I have to admit there is alot of riffs that sound tight as hell either in the beginning or in the middle and the rest sounds like garbage.. I just take whatever I like and add my own flavor to it.. Or just erase the whole thing but keep the sound...That is why that ARP/Riff recording tip is so valueable... What is it that people don't understand about the Command Station...

Last edited:
I got a mpc 1000 hooked up to my MP-7, and if u max out tha roms on
tha mp-7 you will have some tight sequences with enough sounds to work with, i think this is one of tha best porta set ups. im using the mpc to sample and sequence and I trigger sounds from the mp7 with an oxygen 8v2 keyboard hooked up to it.

Does anybody use a lot of software instruments and sound fonts? If so, what do you use your command station for? I'm trying to get a lot more sounds via sound fonts but I'm only used to using the command station for making the songs in the past. I'm having a little trouble hooking up my keyboard, computer and command station (CS) right for this. Usually I would make the beat on the CS, then just record it all into Sonar. Now I want to see if it would be better for me to just use the sounds from the CS, but also use the sounds from sound fonts just to add to the collection. Does it sound right to record all my CS tracks via MIDI into Sonar and use sound fonts or softsynths also? I got a lot of questions, hope I didn't ask too many in this posting. Thanks

So the arp is just like a factory pattern that you can change up?

Yes.. These arps work great for a breakdown.. Instead of just muting like the drums and keys and just having the bass play for a measure you can just trigger it or press it down and the Arp that plays the bass part will come in for a measure then fire up the entire beat again.. When you release the arp.. A good example would be Sean Paul that song called Tempurature... that bass line he is using arps..(I mean that tight ass bass line it comes in the beginning and breaks down at the end right before the song ends).. Play around with the arps and you will see...

I can post a example step by step for the use of arps just to give an idea.. What roms do you have so I can base it off of this.. This will be a basic step just so you can see how the arps work and you can change your instrument the creativity part will of course be up to you..

bknot1 -- I talk to you over the phone awhile ago it is the same steps I'm gonna give.. I think those steps are the easiest.. and quickest

Last edited:
I have the X-Lead, Composer, Pure Phatt and Protozoa (XL-7)

alway lookin for more tips and trick to try out on my Command Station..LOL

Does anybody use a lot of software instruments and sound fonts? If so, what do you use your command station for? I'm trying to get a lot more sounds via sound fonts but I'm only used to using the command station for making the songs in the past. I'm having a little trouble hooking up my keyboard, computer and command station (CS) right for this. Usually I would make the beat on the CS, then just record it all into Sonar. Now I want to see if it would be better for me to just use the sounds from the CS, but also use the sounds from sound fonts just to add to the collection. Does it sound right to record all my CS tracks via MIDI into Sonar and use sound fonts or softsynths also? I got a lot of questions, hope I didn't ask too many in this posting. Thanks

There is a problem with soundfonts however. While they may enhance the sound of your midi file, soundfonts can only reach a certain size in megs. An example may be that the piano soundfont may have only a few notes sampled to save memory, and may only be 4 - 30 megs big. This obviously is a problem, because the piano will not sound exactly like a piano. Those string soundfonts, while sounding average, will sound very electronic, and personally that is not good enough for a professional recording.

Soundfonts are ok for composers who are not serious about a professional recording, and perfect for the amateur composer. However soundfonts are not a solution for a professional recording. If your soundfonts are less than 100 megs in size, the quality will be noticeable..

This is just my opinion with Soundfonts

infamous twitch said:
Soundfonts are ok for composers who are not serious about a professional recording, and perfect for the amateur composer. However soundfonts are not a solution for a professional recording. If your soundfonts are less than 100 megs in size, the quality will be noticeable..

This is just my opinion with Soundfonts

I dont want to get too off subject for the forum so I'll make this my last "off topic" question. What do you recommend for more creative sounds for a more serious producer?

infamous twitch said:
I can post a example step by step for the use of arps just to give an idea.. What roms do you have so I can base it off of this.. This will be a basic step just so you can see how the arps work and you can change your instrument the creativity part will of course be up to you..

Sounds good. Man, its pitiful, but I don't remember what ROM I have (factory for the PX7) and can't find it on www. Im at work so I have limited www access though.

Last edited:
doesnt the Px-7 have the Protean Drums ROM..if I remebr correctly..

If you want to record in overwrite mode you Hold the Tap button down before you press Record... or you change the REC+ to REPL.

Does Reason work well with a command station? Or would I be stuck with one or the other for producing?

aziam said:
Does Reason work well with a command station? Or would I be stuck with one or the other for producing?

I don't have Reason but friends do. As far as I know, it cannot be integrated with outboard MIDI gear and I am sure that it does not record audio.

If you want to use Reason, you can do your arranging in Sonar and use that to drive your Command Station as well as act as a Rewire host for Reason.

I'm staying away from software right now which is why I picked up my MP7 but I have heard good things about Cakewalk's Dimension Pro as a good bread n butter Rompler as well as doing it's own thing and acting as a sample/soundfont playback device.

Laters,
Tommy

Angstwulf said:
I don't have Reason but friends do. As far as I know, it cannot be integrated with outboard MIDI gear and I am sure that it does not record audio.

Thanks. I do think Reason will work with a midi keyboard, just to trigger the sounds (I would hope so).

Angstwulf said:
If you want to use Reason, you can do your arranging in Sonar and use that to drive your Command Station as well as act as a Rewire host for Reason.

So you mean (Sorry I'm good with examples, bad with anything else) take my px7 and compose whatever in Sonar(whether MIDI or audio), then rewire to reason and they will work together in sync with whatever I want to add to it?

Reason works well with command stations... the way I use it is just like another track. Since I have my XL-7 and the Pure Phatt rom and I lack a lot of strings/pianos/etc... I use Reason for it instead. You can even control Subtractor w/all the data knobs for a more hands on feel. It's like not even using software when I'm using the Command Station. All I have to do is load up the patches in reason then do the rest in my XL-7.

BoompaLoonpa said:
Reason works well with command stations... the way I use it is just like another track. Since I have my XL-7 and the Pure Phatt rom and I lack a lot of strings/pianos/etc... I use Reason for it instead. You can even control Subtractor w/all the data knobs for a more hands on feel. It's like not even using software when I'm using the Command Station. All I have to do is load up the patches in reason then do the rest in my XL-7.

Yeah, what he said...

I was looking at it bass-ackwards: I thought maybe Aziam wanted to use Reason to sequence the Command Station from the computer using Reason.

Aziam: what I meant was if you wanted to record the Command Station's sounds and Reason's sounds together, the best way would be to use Sonar as the host program since Reason has a lot of limitations if you were to use it as the main sequencer.

Of course, that's just a crappy and overcomplicated way to say it. My bad!

Laters,
Tommy

Cool, that makes sense...thanks. I think I might have to go buy reason. Is $399 the best price around? I buy a lot at sweetwater.com and thats what they're askin

aziam said:
Cool, that makes sense...thanks. I think I might have to go buy reason. Is $399 the best price around? I buy a lot at sweetwater.com and thats what they're askin

Yeah, it's expensive but if you want a do it all sequencer with a nice rack of soft synths it's probably the best. If you are a registered Sonar user, you might want to look at the Project5/Dimension Pro bundle. Or, if you want to enlist in the flame-wars: FL STUDIO!!!

Depends on what you want to do. I like using the Command Station without a computer. I have the Mo'Phatt, Composer, World and Sounds of ZR chips. For percussion and dancey sounds, between that and the synth I'm more than covered.

I think the only thing I'd look for personally in a soft synth would be real instrument samples, esp orchestra. Every commercial soft sampler has its strengths and weaknesses depending on your tastes. I look around before you jump in.

Laters,
Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back