Command Station Owners Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey does anybody use their PX-7 or XX-7 as a control surface? I just started looking into control surfaces and how they work and I realized (I'm probably later than assistance after Katrina, *no offense please*) that my PX7 can probably act as a control surface from the looks of it. So I turned on Sonar 4 and went to the generic control surfaces (never even put much stock into it before because I didn't know what it was about) and started turning the program knobs on EMU. I didn't all the way figure it out, really the only parameter that was changing on the tracks was volume, even when I changed the settings under "parameters" from volume to other things on Sonar, but I'll figure it out hopefully when I got a minute to really sit and play around. Any advice? And again, does anyone else use their EMU xx-7 as a control surface?

By the way, im glad this forum exists because I don't run into many command station owners on these forums (I know about the Yahoo one...is it good?)

The USB function is crap in my opinion, You can only use E-loader to speed up the process of downloading and uploading the sequences.. I just use Midi cuz everything is connected to it anyways..

infamous twitch said:
The USB function is crap in my opinion, You can only use E-loader to speed up the process of downloading and uploading the sequences.. I just use Midi cuz everything is connected to it anyways..

If you download or upload the sequences, what do you do it for? I have downloaded mine just to see how it works, but I never really had a reason to do it unless you're running out of memory. I was referring to MIDI in my question though. What do you use your command station for?

If you download or upload the sequences, what do you do it for?

Not only you can use it for memory storage/backup.. But when I colab with peeps.. You can save it as a type 1 or type 0 midi file then others can load or yourself load into Cubase, Sonar, Protools. etc.. because then it's just like any other Midi sequence as long as the Software Host accepts Standard Midi Files..

I was referring to MIDI in my question though. What do you use your command station for?

I use it for exactly what it says.. Command Station.. I control all my synths and samplers with my command Station, If I have an software Drum program or Synth I use my Command Station.. I also create alot of beats into one of my Command Stations, then have each outboard synth play a different part. My XL-7 is Max Out on the Roms.. adn my MP7 has the Beat garden, Composer.. I'm looking for the World but way to much money..

Last edited:
infamous twitch said:
I use it for exactly what it says.. ..
Word? I got a lot to learn. I only have an old MIDI keyboard and if I learn how to make it sound good I can hook up the BOSS SP-505 for sampling, otherwise I just use the PX7, keyboard and software whatever else. I probably have no need to control the keyboard from the command station, what do you think? I don't use the keyboard for sounds. Thanks for sharing your setup like that, it helps a learning producer.

I probably have no need to control the keyboard from the command station, what do you think? I don't use the keyboard for sounds. Thanks for sharing your setup like that, it helps a learning producer.

You never know you might be looking for a certain sound an it just might ly within that keyboard.. I always use something even kids toys for music... I don't even use hi-hats hardly I just sample my car keys and trim here an there.. Poof I have my own sample hi-hat.. just depends on the mood.. If you need any help with the command station just let me know... Advice use the Arps, man seriously use the Arps... you will unlock so many things..

Here is some tips...

Getting Phatter Drum Sounds

The key is to work on layering the BD and Snare presets. I go into the Save menu, and copy the Layer and Cords from Layer 1 to Layer 2 on both the BD and Snare Presets, then Save them. Next I'll start playing with the Transpose settings of Layer 2 in both Presets, which effectively changes the sample used on that layer since I'm using a prc Preset dedicated to those type of sounds. I'll keep playing with this, changing the Amp Vol between the two layers until I get something full and clear sounding that fits what I'm trying to do, then I save.

The TIP below is a Gold mine

Recording Arp and RIFF Patterns to a Track

Connect a midi cable from the midi out to the midi on of the MP-7, and make sure MIDI Thru is off. You may need to manually erase the 'trigger' note, as well as shift the start times of the arp notes too if they are delayed slightly. Very easy to do with OS 2.0 BTW.

Recording Triggers

To record into the internal sequencer, set the TRIGGERS destination to be "seq" instead of "int" or "ext" This way, the triggers will be routed to the sequencer, which will then decide where to route it based on the track settings (provided you have Rechannelize on).

Using the XL-7 filters as EQ's

The XL-7's don't have EQ per se, but because an EQ is really nothing more than a filter, you can approximate the same effect via the filter for each Preset (Patch in XL-7 speak). So if you wanted to remove some of the lowend for a sound, you could use a high-pass filter,
etc. Just think of the filter cutoff as the EQ frequency, and the resonance as the amount of boost. Roughly speaking of course.

Last edited:
infamous twitch said:
You never know you might be looking for a certain sound an it just might ly within that keyboard.. .
True

infamous twitch said:
Here is some tips...

You sound like you are pretty seasoned in this. Thanks for the info! Be honest with you, I don't even understand 20% of what you said, but that shows me that theres more I can be doing than what I already know. So...more to learn, better beats in the future as I put it to work right?

Appreciate you holmes

nice tips.they came from the yahoo group..they are real damn helpfull..once you understand it..

I use the Phatter Drums tip on everything now..works like a champ on everything...

the ARP..tip..is great also..but it make me feel like im redoing songs thats already out there..LOL...but tight none the less..

I just got my xl-7 w/pure phatt card yesterday and its off the hook. Started makin stuff right away, its easy to navigate through. The only thing confusing me right now is going through all the patches. But I can tell it's a pretty deep machine, I haven't really messed with the command functions on the right side or anything just the sequencing and Quick Editing. Makes me wanna quit my job.

welcome to the Command Station Fam..keep making good music and post ip up when you can on soundclick or myspace or whereever you want..

yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to. Hopefully in about a week I'll have most of the stuff down.

Last edited by a moderator:
bknot1 said:
nice tips.they came from the yahoo group..they are real damn helpfull..once you understand it..

LOL..."Once you understand it". You read my mind. I can't wait till that day. I just need a few oportunities to get in the studio and mess around. Can someone give me an idea of what the arp is really intended for? I never understood the point. Whats a good way to make the best use of it?

hey dudes...

i just got the mp-7, can u guys help me with a couple of things??

first, i wanna know how to wipe all the patterns and songs and even user presets and strart brand new...

then, i wanna know, how the hell do i overwrite instead of overdubbing when recording sequences... i dont seem to find a overdub-overwrite-step type of options that are on MPC and triton...

ohh yeah the most important:

HOW CAN I BROWSE PATCHES BY CATEGORIES??? IS IT POSSIBLE??

and last, how do i individually delete patterns that are saved on my mp-7??
thnks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
NuWay said:
hey dudes...

i just got the mp-7, can u guys help me with a couple of things??

first, i wanna know how to wipe all the patterns and songs and even user presets and strart brand new...

then, i wanna know, how the hell do i overwrite instead of overdubbing when recording sequences... i dont seem to find a overdub-overwrite-step type of options that are on MPC and triton...

ohh yeah the most important:

HOW CAN I BROWSE PATCHES BY CATEGORIES??? IS IT POSSIBLE??

and last, how do i individually delete patterns that are saved on my mp-7??
thnks in advance

you can browse patches by categoy. on the preset screen, just cursor over. say, if is on prc(percussion), just cursor over to the name of the prc sound itself and then use your dial wheel to go thru the patches. Read the section in your manual on how to erase tracks and all that. I am at work so i dont have all the info available, but it will be along the lines of hitting pad edit and then erase track.

NuWay:

If you want to completely erase all the presets (I did, too), go into the diagnostics screen by holding down both cursor buttons while you power on. Some of the diagnostics will erase all user information.

Obviously, if you haven't, download the menu from Emu at http://www.emu.com/support/files/storage/PX7 OpMan.pdf

Then go outside with an axe and kill a tree. The manual is longer than two bibles and a koran. It's a lot to print and read but well worth it.

Laters,
Tommy

yeah i tried readiong the manual but it is long and boring....

gotta tell u, mp-7 is not the most intuitive piece of gear ive ever seen...

can somebody please tell me how to switch to overwrite mode instead of overdub???

NuWay said:
yeah i tried readiong the manual but it is long and boring....

gotta tell u, mp-7 is not the most intuitive piece of gear ive ever seen...

can somebody please tell me how to switch to overwrite mode instead of overdub???

actually, i find the MP-7 to be very easy to use. I tried out the MPC in GC, and while i think it's ok, i actually think the MP-7 is easier for me to use. Maybe i'm used to it and bias, but it is easy to just turn to an empty pattern and hit record and get going. If the MP-7 had 64 Midi tracks and sampling to compete with the MPC, it would be game over.

I would suggest you hit this link. You can search the manual and what not just using the search function.

http://www.emu.com/support/files/storage/MP7Op-F.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back