Command Station Owners Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have a chance to get an mp-7 for free maybe.

I would like to use live instruments along with it and then sequence the mp-7 into something else. I dont want to use computers. Is my only option getting a multitrack recorder?

EDIT: i just looked at specs for a px-7 and it seems to have audio inputs/outputs. Is this only on the px-7 or do all command stations have audio inputs that i could use to record a live instrument? I got the info here http://www.futurestyle.org/archives/e/emu-px7.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to use live instruments along with it and then sequence the mp-7 into something else. I dont want to use computers. Is my only option getting a multitrack recorder?

Yes.. You will need a recorder of some sort.. like a Fostex MR-series
to actually store your audio from other soundmodules...

i just looked at specs for a px-7 and it seems to have audio inputs/outputs. Is this only on the px-7 or do all command stations have audio inputs that i could use to record a live instrument?

No command station has audio inputs...

Hey everyone.. I posted some more videos of the Command station in the beatmaking tutorials and on Youtube.. please watch and comment

Last edited:
Wanted to use the USB, but haven't because it only works with OS9. It does work with XP. E-mu dropped support on all their hardware. I would get as many expansion roms as posible. Got 3 roms in mine.

Man I started this thread over 2 years ago and its one of the strongest threads in fp history..well gang im back with the emu mp7 and composer rom.no mo phatt rom for me just a p2000 rom will be here in a few days and I still remember a lot of tricks I will be here soon with some videos .we need more support for the command stations on youtube.

Alright, so i just grabbed an mp-7 for free 99

I'm gonna update it tomm to 2.0 right now its 1.01

I encountered one problem though. The previous guy had all his user stuff on there and this pattern was recorded before i erased all his stuff, so im not sure if it had anything to do with what happened since i havent attempted to record another pattern and save it.

So i made an 8 bar pattern on an empty sequence with the 10 hi hat kit the vintage 73 keys and razza bass. I tried to save it but it failed. The percentage said 0% next to it and i looked in the manual and it said that if this happens its mostly due to excessive controller data and stuff so i need to thin events. I'm not sure why this happened as i did nothing else except record 3 tracks.

Now this whole thin events process has me overwhelmed. I understand how to do it using the menus, but i dont know what I am doing exactly. I looked at the diagram in the manual and still dont get it. Could someone please explain thin events in laymans terms and maybe give me some tips on what number i should thin the events at (Thinning controller data at 7 as opposed to 23) ?

I am looking for rom expansion advice too. The composer rom looks like a good all purpose one with lots of sounds. Would the x-lead come in handy if im not doing techno or electronica? And why is the vintage keys one so expensive, its the price of another command station!

bknot1 said:
Dont know how many of you all are memebrs in the Yahoo group...so here are some tips from the group...

Zip file attached

can someone repost this zip file?

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you need to intialize the MP7 this can erase all data and user data.. or just sequence data

When you update the software look into "intialize the Command station"

Now this whole thin events process has me overwhelmed. I understand how to do it using the menus, but i dont know what I am doing exactly. I looked at the diagram in the manual and still dont get it. Could someone please explain thin events in laymans terms and maybe give me some tips on what number i should thin the events at (Thinning controller data at 7 as opposed to 23) ?

It's been awhile since I had to thin events, I may have to re-read the manual and get back to you on this one.. Unless someone else knows this..

I am looking for rom expansion advice too. The composer rom looks like a good all purpose one with lots of sounds. Would the x-lead come in handy if im not doing techno or electronica?

Yeah X-Lead would for sure come in handy.. I use the XL-7 adn have the MP7 rom and Protean Drums, Composer..

And why is the vintage keys one so expensive, its the price of another command station!

That is expensive along with B3 rom, Virtisuso, World Rom, Protean rom All are in the range of $299-$460.. Very hard to come by.. If you can get the ZR rom get it. You don't see this to often it was one of the first roms to appear before the CS was even made...

can someone repost this zip file?

Send me your email address.. However there is a new an updated one now that will be posted in about a week or so.. There are new changes to this forum..

Last edited:
infamous twitch said:
No command station has audio inputs ...

Actually, they all do ... sortof.

You can use the insert effect connections as inputs, which many people do just to avoid having to use a mixer for one additional device.

As promised a YEAR ago in this same thred:

There is a NEW forum dedicated only to the command station lovers:
The command station community is strong and have a lot of active members. There you'll some of the programmers who helped EMU to develop this awesome instrument, Aaron Aapolito and Bob S.

also, your server and slave Balma

http://command-nation.my-free-boards.com/index.htm?

Please join and share your thoughts and tips about the command station

To those who are joining please know that the site is only about 50% finished i still have to finish the content and graphix for the site as well as set up a mod for the group. So please know what you see is not finished but please post and if you have suggestions PM me with them.

I already made my contribution with two documents for creating cords, and also creating patterns. Those tips are from the 2006. After two years playing it EVERY SINGLE DAY (I declare myself an addict of the command station) I have whole new concepts to share with other users.
BTW, this thread is huge, 32 pages.:)

man, it took me 3 days, but i just read this entire thread! good info. i too have joined the ranks of command station owners. got an mp-7 off craigs list for $175! i had to jump thru hoops to get this peice tho. the guy who was sellin it sent me on a blank mission last week and i drove all the way downtown on a friday afternoon, and it started raining, and i had to get the kiddies from school. and he never answered the phone when i got down there. so i wasted all that gas for nothing. then the next week he finally called me and we set up a meet, i got lost, had to circle the block several times before i could park, almost got jumped by local thugs on my way in but we got together and i demo'd the unit. it had like 2 lil scratches on the face and that was it. has proteus2000 rom in it, and aside from a lil dust on the pads, it's in great condition. i've only had it since monday, and really only had to put in a decent day and half with it. it's fairly simple, i read the instant gratification portion of the manual, just so i could get familiar, from there it was a matter of referancing the manual when i had a question. i've already sequenced a few patterns, got the e-loader working and loaded up some old midi files i had lyin around. it's funny to hear songs you know played back with command station sounds. i'd say i'm good with the basics thus far, sometimes i forget where some stuff is, so it takes a few extra button clicks, but i'm gettin it. the command function buttons are very handy, as are the 16 knobs, i've been rockin them like crazy already. of course i couldn't way to try and fit it in with Live and Reason. Reason is great with just the command station controllin it, i got 16 modules lined up and ready to go, so all i do is select the track in the command station and get busy. the sounds come out of Reason like butter. i'll throw Live into the mix with Reaon rewired, Live makes it easy to bring the oxy8 and trigger finger into the mix, since i can route thier midi out to the command station and sequence in either the CS or Live, or Reason for that matter. thats one of my problems now, is gettin my new workflow down, cause between the 3 of them, there are several differnt ways of working. i think i'll just do what i normally do and do whateva i need to do when the situaion calls for it. sometimes i might need to program some drums in Live, or bang'em out in Reason and use ther regroove to funk it up, might use the arp in the CS to freak a patch in the malstrom. the possiblities are endless. i'm excited, gotta go.
LevLove

Last edited:
Wow.. You got reason controlled by the CS.. yo maine let me in on that s**t... Did you get the 16 knobs also what do they control in reason?..

Last edited:
man shoot, that was the second thing i did after i got passed picking patches and stuff. i'll upload the template later if i can. but basically, (we'll do the simple way first) start with a blank rack, add 2 14:2 mixers, then add 16 modules, in the advanced midi device up top, fill in the 16 modules, each module is controlled by the midi channel you put it on. so if you put a redrum in the channel 1 slot, track 1 on the CS controls the redrum, make sure you set the midi to ext instead of int or both, you can use both if you want, but it plays the CS sounds at the same time, so use ext if you only want to hear the reason sounds. the CS comes with the tracks and midi channels numbered the same, so it's easy to create a 16 module rack in Reason with your midi and audio already routed, and a CS template with all the tracks set to ext, so you can pull up them templates and get busy. i also created the same Reason template without the mixers and the audio routed directly to the hardware interface, that way when i sequence, the audio goes into Live and i can also add vsts and other stuff to compliment the mix. an "empty sequence" in the CS already has the midi/track routings, just set the tracks' midi to ext and ur ready to go. i'll upload the Live and Reason templates later, hopefully i won't get banned again for uploadin sht i made.
LevLove

here is the Reason MP-7 template i made. don't forget to remove the space.
z share.net/download/16405633aab679f8/

in the advanced control tab in Reason's pref, select your midi interface for Bus A under external control and also for the port in the midi clock sync section. if you play some of the default patterns in the CS, you should hear and see Reason being triggered for playback. in the CS, make sure under the pattern menu on the channel assign screen that the dest is set to either both or ext so that tracks are actually sending the midi data to Reason.

there, simple CS/Reason sequencing. i'll post the other Reason template with no mixer later, that one is good for those of you who like to rewire Reason into a host app, so you can quickly sequence on the CS as you like and when it comes to "track out" you can do it all in one pass since the sounds are rewired coming from Reason. let me know how this works for you.
LevLove

oh, i also loaded it up with some factory sounds so soon as you get the Reason and CS midi pref right, you should hear sound from one of the songs/patterns you already did. i followed MP-7 pattern layout on page 309 of the pdf (it says 297 on the page) so channel/track 9 will be bass, 1 is kick, 2 is snare...

here is the Reason MP-7 template i made. don't forget to remove the space.
z share.net/download/16405633aab679f8/

in the advanced control tab in Reason's pref, select your midi interface for Bus A under external control and also for the port in the midi clock sync section. if you play some of the default patterns in the CS, you should hear and see Reason being triggered for playback. in the CS, make sure under the pattern menu on the channel assign screen that the dest is set to either both or ext so that tracks are actually sending the midi data to Reason.

there, simple CS/Reason sequencing. i'll post the other Reason template with no mixer later, that one is good for those of you who like to rewire Reason into a host app, so you can quickly sequence on the CS as you like and when it comes to "track out" you can do it all in one pass since the sounds are rewired coming from Reason. let me know how this works for you.
LevLove

Last edited:
I bought an mp-7 a couple days ago. previously i used an xl-7 w/ vintage pro, pure phatt roms and a virtuoso module but sold them for rent money at the time. it feels good to be back in the CS club.

Glad your back.. Does anyone have any videos or new music they made with the CS.. I'm also curious are most people in here using the CS as a Controller now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back