Dr Dre, Neptunes, Timbaland, Kanye Drum Samples....How?

Dudes is funny....

Timbo plays drums sometimes live, and uses sample disks though, just tweaks.

Kanye samples drums, and uses other beatmakers drums and tweaks and layers.

Neptunes use a lot of 80's boards and sampel disks too.

Everyone uses sampels disks or presets and layer and tweak. hey you can take the drums off Native battery 2 and tweak them and you'll be good.

Ive tried finding a vid of tim playing drums. Has anyone been successful. If not, has anyone got any vids of these producers working in the studio or giving advice, that sort of thing? Thanks.

benjiboko

go to youtube and look up Making the Band 3, I forget the episode
number but it was where they showed clips of them working with Timbaland, Scott Storch, Bryan-Michael Cox, & Rodney Jerkins

shows him for a couple of seconds playing the drums for the song Right Now inside the booth, yea he's standing up hitting on only 2 drums, but 1 drum + 1 drum = 2 drumS, plural
and when your in the marching band, are you a percussion major because you don't sit down at a set ?

man I'm gonna admit something....I've heard for YEARS about layering drums to make 'em sound bigger, but never really tried it successfully...so I tended to just find huge drums to begin with...but looking over an old "Production Tips" email from modernbeats it had a lil' tutorial, and after layering my sh*t up, I was able to get STOCK Reason drums to sound like Dre (o.k. 95% Dre;) )

...anyway, now I understand why dudes say 'it doesn't matter what drums you use'...because these dudes actually do know how to make a certain flavor of drums sound bigger and fuller if they need. So you could take some old ass drums and give them the Dre thump etc. but where they still have their old flavor.

What they Do Is OF NO IMPORTANCE..........................

WHAT DO YOU WANT DO DO.......................

I would Prolly Combine Alot of those methods ALREADY stated above

and Also TRY DOWNSAMPLIN'.....................

but this Does Depend Do you want Hard and Spappy, Ruff n Dirty, or Laffy n Taffy.....................(LOLOLLLLLLL!!!)

but Nah it does matter on the type of Track or Tracks You are into and are makin'...............

Does anyone know where to get some pete rock sounding drums from? I have many programs of drums on my MPC but they are all claps, hard snares, low kicks. No sort of mid range swing fat drum sounds. Anyone put me in the right direction please? Thanks

swing doesn't really have anything to do with individual drum sounds, the swing just effects how accurate the time correction is on quantization

but Pete Rock samples drums into his MPC, I know he used the 2000XL

Yea. Sorry. I was just describing the sounds of pete rocks drums. I know swing isnt anything to do with the drum sounds. I use an MPC to but i was wondering where i can get similar sounds like his. I know he prob samples all his drums from breaks. Any idea where to find some breaks. Some suggested listening? Thanks

benjiboko said:
Yea. Sorry. I was just describing the sounds of pete rocks drums. I know swing isnt anything to do with the drum sounds. I use an MPC to but i was wondering where i can get similar sounds like his. I know he prob samples all his drums from breaks. Any idea where to find some breaks. Some suggested listening? Thanks

Chop Out those KICKs And Snares...........PETE ROCK EVEN SAYS it PLAIN HE DOES NOT USE LIBRARY DRUMS "STRICTLY OLD BREAKS!!!!!!!!"

Enjoy

http://www.drumaddikt.com/

jesus... I can't believe fools act like all big names only have one ****in formula, sometimes you sample one thing, sometimes you get a sound from somewhere else, man, fools need to first use your ear then your brain. If you want a certain sound...think...how did they get that, you can figure any sound out by just listening, then do something similar if you want.

get drums wherever you can, a hip-hop producer's best assest is a large collection of drums....sample them, hit up bangin-beats.com, use keyboards, layer drums, make your own, whatever, just collect drums like a motha, and remember, anything u can bang on can be turned into a drum sound (remember the midi mafia bucket beat?) just be original with it, and add your own flavour

BuddahFunkMusic said:
a hip-hop producer's best assest is a large collection of drums....

Naw. A hiphop producer's greatest asset is skill and creativity. You don't need a large collection, just a collection of *good sounding drums* (whatever size, large or small) and the ability to tweak and reuse those drums in different ways.

that should be a given for producing any kind of music, unfortunately too many heads have neither.....but I still stand by my comment, in hip-hop, if your drums dont knock, it just doesnt work.....chapelle said it best, niggaz love the drum (can't remember his exact quote)

Can someone suggest some tweaking techniques? Im not actually sure what you mean? I have treid putting them through filters and adding resonance, putting a bit of wah on the snare, but usually they sound the same? How do you make snappy sounding drums? How do you tweak? Thanks

one thing I do to keep things original is to sample records outside of your genre. For my beats, I sample lots of punk/metal/screamo bands then manipulate the sounds further. If you have access to a studio, you could also sample your own sounds from a drum set. To be the most original, you have to find your own sounds. I mean, you can even go into a huge stairwell and record different foot stomps and hand claps, for example.

Yea but if you want a real shotgun sounding snare that really hits or a nice sqelching clap like kanye, what sort of methods are used to create them? I really want to be original and create sounds but im not doing too well... Any advice? I want to have some nice hard hip hop kits that ive made myself aswell as some more abstract kits... Thanks

recording common everyday sounds, Layering, filtering, eq'ing, resampling from their older records, etc. I could go on. Just alot of experimentation. Yeah, sometimes they use stock sounds from modules, but sometimes you hear a track that uses 4 kicks, and 4 snares. It just depends on what sound they're going for.

Back