is reason a professional program?

mistaox said:
Reason has to be the most waste of CPU resources ive ever seen.
When you Flip the Rack aroung the Phuckin wires bounce? WTF??? The CPU power needed to animate those silly cables ccould be diverted to something useful, like a way to record Vocals.

i really doubt the bouncin' cables
do anything to CPU.

i've never seen my CPU meter spike
when i do that.

i think Reason is very professional.

plenty of releases have been made,
rocked, dance to, and appreciated that
were all Reason.

From BT to Richie (at one point) to
Prodigy... it really runs the gambit.

it is, after all, what's in-between
your ears that matters.

my last 2 releases were exclusively
Reason.

(well... some samples were cut up in
ACID before going into ReCycle, but
that's about it)

Last edited:
Wether its Hardware or Software...it will only be as "Professional" as you make it...

and as ive said every time someone asks this question about whats pro and whats not...Its truly professional when you start MAKING MONEY with it..

Mr. Wizard said:
Aye,

No need to get upset. Just saying what I think...

Anyway, I shall trust My Ears and My Ears only. No offence meant to any of the dedicated users.

Peace

i don't think anyone's getting upset...

no exclamation marks
no all caps

i don't see how it can be
construed as getting upset.

I am always interested in the "is this product professional?" debate. Nothing is "professional" unless of course it is something you are using in your career to recieve pay. At least that is by defintion of what "professional" is. Now one can argue back & forth whether or not something has good sound quality, but imo if something provides the exact sound you need, that is all that matters. As far as sound quality goes, I beleive those that use one tool or just a few always achieve lesser quality than those that use a wide variety of tools, combining & mixing those varied sound sources with expertise & skill.

true that fullshred

i think too many people dismiss this or that production tool, saying it doesnt "sound professional" when in fact they just haven't the patience or thie skill to learn it well.

ive used reason for a long time now and i wouldn't put the idea into peoples heads that they can make pro music with just reason alone , using it via rewire with a host like cubase then i would class it as a pro setup but reason alone sounds "Boxey" and "plastic"....I just use reason for drums now and prefer my softsynth VST's through Acid 4.0e i get a much better sound..this setup will do until i have enough money for cubase sx.....

i find it funny that with all the people making all Reason songs and getting paid for them that people would still say things like that.

so, for the record, my first two releases on Fairparks Records last year were made entirely on Reason.

I made a total of about $1200 off them and received 7 Djs bookings because of them (so another $1000 roughly).

That makes Reason, by strictest definitions, a "professional" program as mentioned earlier.

Some people on this list probably only
have Reason... and telling them stuff
like "oh, it's a great tool" or "Reason
isn't professional" serves only one
purpose:

it puts an emphasis on the software
and not the creativity and imagination
of the person using it.

my buddy does nothing but make
wack ass trance on his Pro Tools
system... partly b-c he simply
isn't creative and partly b-c
he fell victim early on to the
"oh FL/Reason/NameYourProgramHere
isn't as professional as Cubase/Neundo/
NameYourProgramHere" non-sense on
many many MANY message boards.

Last edited:
Good point Physix....Im friendly with an artist called bexarametric who's first album i bought and think its excellent he made the whole album in reason , but is he making his second album in reason...NO ...well why ..?...

ive just been signed up by a label i didn't go looking they came to me on the strength of the work ive done in reason........
http://www.asymmetric-productions.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

So ive started making my album in reason and its just not good enough the synths a basically crap , so im moving on to cubase but i will still use reason for my drum work,,,When you have VST's like Atmosphere and Trilogy reason don't have a leg to stand on....

Ive backed reason up for years now saying how good it is...but i was only kidding myself , i just don't like being stuck in an eviroment when there lots of fun happening outside.....

Last edited by a moderator:
you're right...

reason isn't the be all end all of
programs... that's undeniable.

but my point is merely that convos
like these usually do nothing but
send people down a spiral of trying
so hard to focus on software and
then they start neglecting the
software/hardware in their headd

(heh! had to do it)

it's not something that is unique
with software... it happens with
hardware, too.

ppl just wind up focusing on technology
too much and losing sight of where your
true focus should be.

but the reality is, if a person has
Reason, they can mimic most of what
everyone else is doing in other programs
with alittle ingenuity.

what happens with blanket statements is
they don't even try.

They don't try to warm up samples thru learning compression and EQing and filtering tricks...

they don't try to warm up synths thru rendering, REXing them, re-sampling them, automating the features in one of the synths, et al

there are techniques that you can use in Reason that, if you put some time into it and think abit, you can do similar things in other programs.

yes, it's tediuous.

yes, it's alittle time consuming.

so is long division.
there are easier methods, but if you
learn just the easiest methods, you're
losing out in one of the benefits of being able to tax your programs -- critical thinking.

yes, i'm from THAT school of thought.
which sucks when someone used to come over and all I had was ACID and SF and Reason... and I had to go thru this taxing process to mimic what they wanted done and they kept saying "you know, in Logic, i could just re-route this to that and press this button and it's done..."

well, that's great in all... but without critical thinking, how can you expect to push the boundries of your programs.... and yes, we all know the developers have people aboard that do that for them... they push the systems, try new things to see if they can work with the program... they're usually called deconstructors or something like that...

but artists need to do that, too. they need to learn how to push boundries.

it all plays on each other... just like math.

you want the color green but all you got is blue and yellow... you can paint your grass blue... or your money yellow... or you can think outside the box and mix some colours... without that basic sort of critical thinking, we'd have never known as early as we did that yellow and blue makes green.

yes, a person can go out and say "man, they say i need Cubase b-c Reason is this that or the other"... or they can say "ok, i KNOW i can do this... let's figure out how..."

again, yes,m it's tedious... almost as tedious as reading this post, i'm sure (sorry about that guys), but software is supposed to enhance us, not dumb us down. and the reason we're surrounded by so much crap music is b-c software is making it easier for ppl to just point and click to the next pop hit.

critical thinking helps on all levels.

(recent studies have shown that artists tend to actually do really phukkin' good in math... it's the reason ppl defend music programs in school...)

math and art are linked forever by critical thinking... the tendancy to run at the first sign of limitation (either discovered by you or pointed out to you) hinders that... in by doing so, hinders art.

damn, i just realized that i threw a tangent up in this b!tch big enough oto fly a Boeing 747 thru.

sorry about that, guys -- but i feel very strongly about topics like this. and, that's good that we have forums like these that, when used properly, inform and inspire like it does. and for that, i love you all... even the ones who piss me off. (no one in this thread, tho.) ;)

Last edited:
I feel ive mastered reason and can "Throw it about like a BMX" the artists where i live call me "The guy from propellerhead" im forever jumping in my car and sorting out their reason problems and showing them new methods

Now because i feel so comfident with reason now it is a good time to buy cubase , buying them both together would of been a huge mistake it would of been too much to take on at once.

A good thing about reason what nobody mentions is for the novice its an excellent tool to teach Midi , you learn reason and you've learn't the basics of Midi as simple as that which then gives you the comfidence to play with the bigger hosts.

I also own a Access virus C , i record the virus in cooledit and play the Wav in ACID 4.0 dry no effects then i put the exact same WAV in the NN-XT dry no effects and it just honestly doesn't sound as good.Thats not just me thats a lot of very experienced musicians i know hear and say the same........

Reason is a Beautiful Program but i do stand by my claim that is sounds "Plastic"

CANE CREEK said:

Ive also own a Access virus C , i record the virus in cooledit and play the Wav in ACID 4.0 dry no effects then i put the exact same WAV in the NN-XT dry no effects and it just honestly doesn't sound as good.Thats not just me thats a lot of very experienced musicians i know hear and say the same........

Remember when Reason first came out and ppl complained about the sound quality in Reason?

Well, the deteriorated sound quality is only WITHIN the program.

EX. on a similar note.

I render all my reason songs into .WAV files. I always play my wav files in Soundforge. Without doing ANYTHING to the wave file, it sounds louder... more crisp.

So, yeah, when you're IN the program, it sounds whatever... but it's not really sounding like that... am i making myself clear? (it's like, "does it sound like that or doesn't it?!?" well, alittle bit o' both).

there's a buffer of sorts within the program.

so, in your example... when you put the sample in Reason... did you re-render it dry (and have the IMPROVED EQ on in the back of the Mixer rack?) and listen to it again in Soundforge?

when i tried that with two samples in question, both the pre-reason and the post-reason (both dry) samples sound the same.

i don't know why Propellerheads did this... but it's there and it's apparently not going away... but in essence, it's not really there... gawd, that doesn't make sense.

but, actually, you've somewhat added to my point...

you say you outgrew Reason... but the fact is, you were ALLOWED to outgrow Reason... you went in... found some stuff... worked around some stuff... and moved on...

people like the original poster who are starting with this program, maybe, right off the bat are given a handicap... they aren't allowed to work the system and figure it out for themselves and learn (you were spot on in your point about MIDI... sure did teach me about it!!), they are told .. "well, it's a good program BUT..."

no, no buts... the only 'buts' are the buts we make for ourselves.

part two of my point (geez, i have alot) is that you say Reason was 'plastic' so you found something that wasn't... i say Reason sound plastic, but i was taught how to make it sound organic... that's my original point. you can make reason do anything thru substitution and mimicry and trickery and tomfoolery that any other program does...

at least, that's my eXperience... and i could be wrong... and when I am, rest assured, i will get on this board and retract the statements i'm making now.

you've met some limitations, perhaps, that simply don't apply to me or i haven't met yet... but, alas, what befalls one sometimes doesn't befall us all.

by the way, i'm not trying to argue you BACK to an all-Reason set up... i just want to make sure i didn't give you that impression that that's why i'm discussing this with you. ;)

Last edited:
No physix i don't see this as an argument its an enjoyable conversation.
I suppose im the lazy artist who would rather have the real deal on a plate rather than trying to mimic it..lol

Ive read everything you've said and take it all on board im not going to abandon Reason infact when the next version comes out ill certainly be first in line to have it.

Theses just to many great Vst's and plug-ins outhere and rather than being just in the reason enviroment i'd rather use a host program , use reason via rewire and leave my options wide open.

Like i said earlier i bought Atmosphere and Trilogy a few weeks ago and the sound quality is amazing.Just One of the string patches in atmosphere is 140 gigs in size thats the size of 3 reasons..lol......

On a serious note you sound a more patient artist than me , I got my record deal on my Idea's and creativity so the boss told me but sound quality is something i must work on..:D

^^ no, i feel ya.

why bogger down for 2 hours trying to mimic something when you can get a plug in that does it on another program... then you can get back to what you need to be doing... creating vs knob tweekin'...

no, i feel ya on that one... and i admit to my hypocricy, b-c i got Project 5 to make things easier for me. ;)

( altho' i'm having a devil of a time learning it... :( )

PROJECT 5....Nice my mouths watering already that looks a juicy bit of kit....
I suppose you've retired and hung up your mimic shoes then...lol...:D

its been good talking to you Physix....
It saturday night so im off in the shower then off for a boogie....Seeya around...

oh same here...

and you're lucky!

not only do i have 10 more
hours before clubbin'...

but i have 5 more hours of WORK!!!!

:(

pity me!

but yeah... what's worse is that
i also pre-ordered an Emulator X
as well.

;)