Why you will NEVER make a living selling beats.

You can live selling beat. But you have to be a little lucky, do a LOT promotion and have your own style

"Think about it this way… in a regular non-creative profession such as a carpenter, surgeon or park-keeper, you will find it very hard to think of someone who is an exceptional, exemplary model of that job and lifestyle. It just doesn’t exist… all workers are pretty much on an even plain."

Carpenters are not creative? No exceptional Surgeons?? There are some holes in your argument but you are completely right in your nod towards many producers issues coming from poor self-esteem. This is evident so much in television, especially with the so-called "talent shows", featuring a lot of deluded people caused mainly due to parts of the media, probably Hollywood it has to be said.

Dreams CAN come true, but you have to be honest about it and work damn hard.

Why does everyone wanna sell "beats"?

Why not make a living off your talent? That can be anything from being a keyboardist to DJ to recording artists to promoting to...PRODUCING SONGS.

Why is everyone stuck in the lane of 'beats". Beats are worthless. A big song is PRICELESS there's tons of lanes to contribute to beyond a "beat".

Why does everyone wanna sell "beats"?

Why not make a living off your talent? That can be anything from being a keyboardist to DJ to recording artists to promoting to...PRODUCING SONGS.

Why is everyone stuck in the lane of 'beats". Beats are worthless. A big song is PRICELESS there's tons of lanes to contribute to beyond a "beat".

I think people might be stuck on the "selling beats" thing because it can be "easy money"....and who doesn't want easy money?

(Quick come up vs. smart Career move = bad math?)

I get what your saying tho and the more moves I make the more I see the value in those other avenues....as a matter of fact, there's prob more ways to get bigger dough going the other routes...

$.02

Last edited:
what a poor person you are, wasting so much time on ranting about other people, get a grip super producer, act like you f-cking scott storch

All I'm saying is no one "made a beat" for Adele's "Someone like you", or Michael jackson's "Beat It", I'm not even sure you can say you "made a beat" for Britney Spears or Beyonce, lol, they are "produced" for.

And that's not saying you didn't "produce" a song if all you did was make a beat, you absolutely did, but if all you're aiming to do is put a buncha stuff on soundclick with no idea of where it will land until it does with no control over the process, unless it's landing in the hands of hit songwriters, amazing performers, and pro engineers(all 3 will be needed), you have no control over what comes out of it(and that's not saying in order to be any of those things you have to have a name already, but you do have to be able to shine like the sun through an open window to a candleshop).

You end up with a $20 lease or a $150 exclusive that coulda been the start of a career in music and 6 figures in the bank if you took more steps yourself. Nothing wrong with net beat sales, but even the guys you wanna be(Johnny Juliano for example)have delved into lots more.

Not getting into the politics of what happened, but he's sat around and controlled the outcome of a few records that had the potential to be hits. That's at least aiming for the stars, right?

Last edited:
Simple Fact...

Its as simple as this:

If you don't believe you will make a living off of producing/making beats and act on that mindset, you won't. SIMPLE. AS. THAT.

TBH its not anyone's place to tell you what you can or can't do..won't or will do. Some of the most successful people are at where they are at because they didn't listen to the negativity coming from others, they stayed focused.

Follow your passion, believe in yourself and stay focused and consistent.

DON'T LET OTHER PEOPLE SHAPE YOUR REALITY FOR YOU, SHAPE YOUR OWN.

forget about likelihoods or % chances of you being successful, that's a weak way to think. 'Hustle hard, hustle hustle real hard' (lol)...and you will go somewhere. Remember to keep your mindset positive too, negative thoughts create negative results...the world is your mirror.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is no one "made a beat" for Adele's "Someone like you", or Michael jackson's "Beat It", I'm not even sure you can say you "made a beat" for Britney Spears or Beyonce, lol, they are "produced" for.

And that's not saying you didn't "produce" a song if all you did was make a beat, you absolutely did, but if all you're aiming to do is put a buncha stuff on soundclick with no idea of where it will land until it does with no control over the process, unless it's landing in the hands of hit songwriters, amazing performers, and pro engineers(all 3 will be needed), you have no control over what comes out of it(and that's not saying in order to be any of those things you have to have a name already, but you do have to be able to shine like the sun through an open window to a candleshop).

You end up with a $20 lease or a $150 exclusive that coulda been the start of a career in music and 6 figures in the bank if you took more steps yourself. Nothing wrong with net beat sales, but even the guys you wanna be(Johnny Juliano for example)have delved into lots more.

Not getting into the politics of what happened, but he's sat around and controlled the outcome of a few records that had the potential to be hits. That's at least aiming for the stars, right?

Could you elaborate a little bit more on the different steps people could take to further their music? Because quite truthfully the thought of working with an artist is much more fulfilling then sitting back and waiting for someone to buy or lease a beat off of me from online.

Its as simple as this:

If you don't believe you will make a living off of producing/making beats and act on that mindset, you won't. SIMPLE. AS. THAT.

TBH its not anyone's place to tell you what you can or can't do..won't or will do. Some of the most successful people are at where they are at because they didn't listen to the negativity coming from others, they stayed focused.

Follow your passion, believe in yourself and stay focused and consistent.

DON'T LET OTHER PEOPLE SHAPE YOUR REALITY FOR YOU, SHAPE YOUR OWN.

forget about likelihoods or % chances of you being successful, that's a weak way to think. 'Hustle hard, hustle hustle real hard' (lol)...and you will go somewhere. Remember to keep your mindset positive too, negative thoughts create negative results...the world is your mirror.
Co-SIGN!

Back