Why you will NEVER make a living selling beats.

i always love these kind of threads... you know the one's that tell others "you are insecure, you are lazy, you won't make it" etc etc

because deep down the threadstarter is the one who feels some sort of way about his or herself.

Last edited:
wow. 1st off i want 2 say u were about 100% accurate when it came 2 who i was....
1. 15 years old
2. i do consider myself as lazy sometimes when it comes 2 improving and getting more familiar with actually making beats
3. definately insecure
4. desperate
ON THE $$

yea, it hurt, but i want to say, this really motivated me to want to do so much better. Read, practice, and study 3 times as hard. So with that being said, im asking if you or any1 else has any good, detailed books to read to help learn more about the music business. im curretly reading "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill, well its an audio book (lazy, lol).

Gotta say, this was this was the best post i may have ever read here, n it really motivated me to change my way of thinking and character. Honestly i have been recently doubting myself as to the chances i have because im really good in school and i just dont want to screw up a possible opportunity i have at making a living and giving myself a good life. ive been apprehensive when it comes down 2 dedicating myself, but now after readiing this, i discovered alot about myself. Thank u

As one of the OG's on this forum who has made well into seven figures in the music game, I say to you young guys...make a "self contained" hit record. Do the hook, hire rappers/singers if you need extra help and after you gain serious BDS play, everybody in the world will want you to make tracks for them even if you really suck. Music game is 50% talent and 50% luck...believe that.

As one of the OG's on this forum who has made well into seven figures in the music game, I say to you young guys...make a "self contained" hit record. Do the hook, hire rappers/singers if you need extra help and after you gain serious BDS play, everybody in the world will want you to make tracks for them even if you really suck. Music game is 50% talent and 50% luck...believe that.

Whats your credits?

Whats your credits?

I don't like to reveal my true ID on the internet. But I've worked with hundreds of artist.

Not that they mean anything, but artist have awarded me with over 100 gold and Platinum artist for various behind the scenes work.

There are a few forums that figured out my true ID..FP I'm here to teach and that to me is what matters.

I don't like to reveal my true ID on the internet. But I've worked with hundreds of artist.

Not that they mean anything, but artist have awarded me with over 100 gold and Platinum artist for various behind the scenes work.

There are a few forums that figured out my true ID..FP I'm here to teach and that to me is what matters.

Is that you Rodney "darkchild"?

I don't think most people sell beats

... they make beats and they want the beats to sell themselves.

I don't think most people sell beats

... they make beats and they want the beats to sell themselves.

very true for a good % of online beat makers thinkin they will make $100 perday on Soundclick.

i always love these kind of threads... You know the one's that tell others "you are insecure, you are lazy, you won't make it" etc etc

because deep down the threadstarter is the one who feels some sort of way about his or herself.

truth of the month

Man I guess this is for people who never sell beats. I may not sell as many beats as I would like hell Id like to make 1,000 dollars a week or more but it doesnt always work like that when you work a 9-5 and hustle on tha side but hey i got a fam to feed. The point I am making is I dont listen to shit anyone is trying to tell me I always see for myself. Im not trying to be the next Timbo or Dre Im Trying to be the Next Me. Ya dig!! I sold a beat for $200.00 last week just off of Facebook. It may not happen everyday but If one person will buy a beat from you, then you know there must be others out there that will do the same thing so its just a matter of filtering out the serious artist from the one that just want to hear themselves on Cd in their car wishing they were on the radio. See ive been doing this music for a long time and i was ignorant to a lot of things when i was 17-25 and i wish i new then what i know now. Educate yourselves young men be smarter and work harder. I am almost 28 now and I will never stop doing music even if i never saw a dime from it because i love music and beats and i love the way it makes me fell when im in the studio. You are married to my ****ing Music!!! (That's what my model wife tells me) LMAO!!!

First time reading that OP. Funny that a few posts after it, he admits he's depressed. I would say the right word is just "cynical", which is how a lot of depressed people think. Everyone should be as miserable as they are, right? I ain't mad at it. Just wasn't as taken by the article as the guy expected us to be.

Anyways, don't be naive and do your math. It was said already, but if you love music, just do your music. If you want to make money, then do your music, and dedicate some time that you'd normally be channel-surfing or getting high to working your music. Don't bet the family farm on this (or anything, really), but stay positive. If you're surrounded by music & the right people, it shouldn't be too hard.

Opening up a topic like this is ingenious, its what we amateur producers think about all the time. I don't feel you need to be "qualified" to drop some knowledge on us, thanks man.

You don't have to make a "living" selling beats... anything you make selling beats (or from anything that you would be doing anyway) is a plus.

You mean to tell me you'd rather buy a new flat screen or some rims out of your regular paycheck?

Nothing wrong with shooting for making a living from it... but anything you make is a plus.

People don't get paid to play Xbox... or pick up basketball.

"Cheap azz gamers, nobody wants to buy my vids of me playing Modern Warfare"

"Cheap azz ballers, nobody wants to pay for my Youtube vids of me hooping at LA Fitness"

My $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this thread. Tells the truth! Its all in your mind. If you question to give up.. just give up!! Its not in you. The strong will survive!

Back