To "sample" or "not to sample"......

UniiqueTekniqz

OK...here's the deal. I don't have problems with samples. I think they are cool....But aren't samples also stealing a piece of someone elses work? Ive sampled a few times and enjoyed it, however, I like to make everything original so I can say Im the sole owner of all parts of the piece of production. Sampling is cool, but shouldnt be your main focus as a producer...Its all about ORIGINALITY!!

There aren't any main rules between sampling and not sampling, it all boils down to how you choose to express ya self. Nothing wrong with relying on strictly sample-based production in my opinion.

When you say "Sampling is cool, but shouldnt be your main focus as a producer...Its all about ORIGINALITY!!" are you speaking about Hip Hop production or music production in general?

You could almost guarantee that any hip hop track you compose has a near twin brother available out there.

everythings been done before regardless of whether you sample or not. as far as stealing someone elses work: a)who gives a **** and b) i'd say the majority of sampling creates something entirely new, there are cases of sampling basically ripping off the song entirely though (see that puffy song over "every breath you take.") i generally find beats with samples are more unique than those without samples, definitely not always the case though.

My hands are dug too deep into my face to give a proper response.. This has been covered so many times

OK...here's the deal. I don't have problems with samples. I think they are cool....But aren't samples also stealing a piece of someone elses work? Ive sampled a few times and enjoyed it, however, I like to make everything original so I can say Im the sole owner of all parts of the piece of production. Sampling is cool, but shouldnt be your main focus as a producer...Its all about ORIGINALITY!!

I want to DESTROY COPYRIGHT!

Why should "MICK E MOSS" be protected for 95 years! Yeah, thats right, that filthy cartoon rodent will still be making $$$ for the Corporate Clowns that brought you Britney and the Backstreet Bums when your kids are grown...

There are ONLY 6 media companies that control TV, Movies and the INTERNET and MUSIC copyrights!

Why should we let them have a stranglehold on future sounds that WE create? Either we are FREE or we are NOT.

Tell ASCAP and BMI to find the LEGAL HEIRS to the near BILLION $$$ dollar UNCLAIMED royalties that are sitting in their nice fat bank accounts, and then I will feel a twinge of remorse (play sampled violins here) when I sample off of a 40 year old record whose composer died many years ago, while the greedy record companies ripped him off in his contract MAKES SURE he gets NOTHING when they re-issue that box set of digitally remastered 180 gram vinyl boxed set that doesnt EVEN SOUND GOOD...

JOIN THE HUMAN RACE KID, and RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DISSENT!

Last edited:
I have to agree that sampling can be a little more "original" than composing, especially when chopping and flipping the sample, all these Trap beats can be called "composed", being that no sampling is involved, but look how many of them sound the same..... How Original is That????

Last edited:
@Major Scale.. Truth.. I wonder what's gonna happen when fans realize Lex Luger actually makes the same beat over and over and over again... well to me anyway lol

Sampling CAN be unoriginal if you do nothing to whatever it is you're sampling (even though hiphop got it's start out with 2 turntables playing the same unaltered musical breaks over and over again). Nonetheless, sampling can be its own art that's packed with originality. Listen to how Pete Rock flipped Tom Scott's "Today" on "They Reminisce Over You" and tell me that he didn't make that horn riff his own. Or how DJ Premier scratched 4 notes into an original composition in "The 10 Crack Commandments". You can do things with sampling that you could never do with instruments because another piece of music (with its own musical character) becomes your instrument.

How is sampling unoriginal? Part of the purpose behind sampling, at least what I've always read, is to take an old sound and make something new and fresh from it. I don't see how it loses originality in any way. I mean, if you just loop the primary instrument section and throw some drums on it, yeah, I can see that. Haha. But more complex sampled track, in my opinion, is still original. You know, it *is* still possible to throw your own compositions on top of it. :) That's my $0.02.

It's not exactly 'stealing'. 99% of the time you can hear a sampled song you obviously know its sampled and someone got that break from something else. think of it as just a different form of DJing, your mixing pieces of different songs and creating your own "mix". People who sample are most likely going for a certain sound that you cant always get if you were composing, unless you were a multi instrumentalist with the money to back up the awesome instruments or had access to a band, etc. It's just a different type of music. Plus sampling is fun, a big part of it (well used to be) was the whole digging aspect. different strokes for different folks, if you want to compose your own stuff and it sounds good, by all means do your thing! peace

The moral values trip me out. As said already in this thread, even if you do pay for that sick guitar loop, the "owner" of the material 9/10 won't be the guy who PLAYED that sick guitar loop. It'll be the label that raped the guy who played that loop dry of talent and already made a fortune while leaving him to die in a puddle of piss in a back alley. Or the label that overthrew the label that did that, lol. Just thought.

I want to DESTROY COPYRIGHT!

Why should "MICK E MOSS" be protected for 95 years! Yeah, thats right, that filthy cartoon rodent will still be making $$$ for the Corporate Clowns that brought you Britney and the Backstreet Bums when your kids are grown...

There are ONLY 6 media companies that control TV, Movies and the INTERNET and MUSIC copyrights!

Why should we let them have a stranglehold on future sounds that WE create? Either we are FREE or we are NOT.

Tell ASCAP and BMI to find the LEGAL HEIRS to the near BILLION $$$ dollar UNCLAIMED royalties that are sitting in their nice fat bank accounts, and then I will feel a twinge of remorse (play sampled violins here) when I sample off of a 40 year old record whose composer died many years ago, while the greedy record companies ripped him off in his contract MAKES SURE he gets NOTHING when they re-issue that box set of digitally remastered 180 gram vinyl boxed set that doesnt EVEN SOUND GOOD...

JOIN THE HUMAN RACE KID, and RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DISSENT!

true dat!!! i am a sample based producer....my take on it is simple....dont just take someones song and throw drums behind(puffdaddy) and expect to get props for it..its in how you flip it...wether it was creative.

you cant knock looping, sometimes you just need to let the loop ride cuz it sounds so good! for me chopping and looping is dependent on the type of sample. Theres too many variables when it comes to making music, your formula for making music should be very general, you dont want to limit yourself

^^^ totally agree with u....i just think its in the way you do it...theres no right and wrong way..just wack and dope...lol

Back