To "sample" or "not to sample"......

If you sample intricately, properly perhaps, then I think it's fine. Obviously just ripping out a portion of track, looping it, and putting in little to no effort and calling it yours isn't the way to go.

I think both cases are fine. But when a beat is sampled as a straight 10 sec loop with just drums on top, it ain't so original. I like beats where is small samples and nice chopping done + some new melodies and compositions done on top of that. Sometimes you can't even recognize that there is some sample behind that because it's kind of "hidden" under everything else.

Okay..Time to break things down.

Yes you are legally stealing another persons work. But if you think about it are you really in the clear? Do you buy all your software? Pay for every single drum sound, vst or refill? Every DAW or piece of software? If you do thats grand, but nearly everyone has at least something that they "stole" or a friend gave them a copy. Etc.

Now from a label standpoint samples are a headache because you have to go through all these negotiations to get clearance and then after that you may not even make any real money from it.

To be clear the term "Producer" does not just mean, lets make some beats. Yes it is about originality but is not sampling original if the user creates something entirely different? Music was built off of samples so you can't say that its unoriginal. The drums you use are sampled, the sounds in your motif are sampled, the records you hear are the radio may contain samples as well. I don't mean sampling in the literal sense either. Copying someones vocal arrangements and the words they say is sampling.

Yes its great to be the sole owner and all that but if you dont even do anything with the track except listen in your own time does it matter? If you sell it then its that persons responsiblity to clear samples (depending on the contract). If you like sampling do it, if not don't. But just because you don't sample something from a vinyl record and chop it up doesnt allieviate sampling.

Im not directing this post entirely at you so please don't get affended. Just want to share some light to everyone.

A Producer gets the most creativity out of the given circumstance and utilizes it. He works with the songwriters to see if this song is a hit, is the hook hot and catchy. They help the arangement of the song to see who fits best where. The follow the project from beginning to end. Of course in todays age that title is skewed as anyone who makes a"beat" is a producer, but thats just evolution.

In my opinion: Whatever floats your boat, as long as you stay original and fresh. Except for the sueing labels, that's wack. We need more people like Clyde Stubblefield in this world.

I wish people would quit beating this topic to death over and over and over. If you enjoy sampling. Sample. If not... don't sample. Everything else will fall into place.

I have to agree that sampling can be a little more "original" than composing, especially when chopping and flipping the sample, all these Trap beats can be called "composed", being that no sampling is involved, but look how many of them sound the same..... How Original is That????

Sampling is the foundation of hip hop, but I disagree about sampling can be more original then composing......Flipping Someone else work = Sampling...(That is like saying your sample song is more original then the song you sample, if it was not for that sample song you would not have the beat).....Composing = is done from scratch.

sampling it's part of hip-hop it's art, but good producer must know how to sample good and know how make music without sampling i think.

If you want good samples , you can dig on the web but you can also buy a cheap usb record player and buy cheap records at a record store. mostly you have original samples that nobody owns.

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 AM ----------

you are right. Mostly i render the samples to fruity loops and play with it with my keyboard. shit is hella cool

I agree with a lot of these posts. At times I just loop a sample, then I feel like I cheated a bit. But when I chop something into pieces and re-arrange it so it's mad different, I feel like it's original.

From our experience, sampling is a blessing and a curse. We've put out some dope music with samples, and other times, samples have damn near crippled some projects and cost us a gang of money. While we love to sample, the consensus is to not sample. Its just too costly, to clear, the complications of song splits, and the time it takes to go thru the red tape. There's nothing like being able to do a record and it's immediately put out, and not having to worry about getting permission from a third party. Its the worst feeling ever to have a hit on your hands and the original songwriter/composer deny your sample clearance. If you're doing this here seriously we advise to stay away from it, unless you have cash to develop a relationship with the songwriter/composer and can get songs cleared cheaply and quickly.

Jugrnaut -Arkatech Beatz

stealing is a harsh word...recreating new music with old material gives new life to it.

Back