Are we going to get ant new sampler hardware soon?

i think even the mpcs are done. They are still great pieces of software but for less than the price of a mpc I can buy Reason 5 and have a mpc style drum machine, a mpc style sequencer with mpc grooves inside, easiser editing, 3 synths, another drum machine and 2 samplers. Plus fx add a pad style controller and you get about the same thing anyway. I think people these days don't have high enough standards to not settle for close enough
your pushing it a bit aren't you. 1 mpd, a computer, a top of the range computer software isn't a cheap thing to acquire....no?

my argument goes but usually doesn't pan out well.

when you get a mpc or modern hard-sampler you are not just getting pads you are getting the software which includes (in vision a generation game style prize line up)
a mixer
a sound editor
a recording device
a sequencer
all basic effects you would expect on your typical software
also having midi meaning means that this mpc can be used as a trigger
and with a jjos it makes a £200 mpc 1000 a professional and versatile bit of kit.

but my bias is that i'm also able to travel to gigs and the such without a hitch. my night job is that i'm a sound engineer for a club and i'm telling you the amount of times the apple has crashed mid performance which leads to 'someone' having to run from the booth all the way to the front just so i look like i'm the one who ****ed up. also when your typical firewire cable gets pulled out leading to a sound reminiscent of a elephant getting it's kneecaps blown in. again leads to me having to argue my wage at the end of the night.

not reliable i feel. daw's as a performance ting are flimsy as ****. but they will take over with the improvements across the board.just have a look around FP and you feel there is a sense of insecurity from guys with hard-samps who think they are being threatened or undermined by the software revolution.

Every few years, there's another MPC killer comes along but the MPC is still here, albeit with slightly worse quality control on components such as the rotary encoders on the 1000 and 2500.

G4s

The mpc's have stood the test of time cause they've been around since the late 80's. It has longevity, I'll give it that.

its the sequencer....no software/keyboard has been able to compete in hands-on sequencing with the mpc. Roger Linn and company knew what they were doing when they designed the user interface.

Maschine comes close but to me it's still focused on sound manipulation. Music comes from how sounds are put together....not how many filters/effects/layers they have.

its the sequencer....no software/keyboard has been able to compete in hands-on sequencing with the mpc. Roger Linn and company knew what they were doing when they designed the user interface.
yeah defiantly, apart from the asr-10 and roland mv range i guess the mpc never really had solid competition, less people are buying them of course but they will always have a great resale value. because they have had it all their own way for so long i wouldn't be surprised if they just make a limited edition mpc and then end the line. the mpd will just be a gimmicky/nostalgic piece of kit.

the amount of money you have to invest into making them is a reason why the sp1200, one of the most renown samp/seqs to grace the market, fell into the history books. was because it took too long to make a machine individually and too expensive to make just one machine. software can be made by 1 designer in 2 years and once he has made it....thats it. he can package it and sell it and not evoke any other fees. it's free to make another copy of that software.

Maschine comes close but to me it's still focused on sound manipulation. Music comes from how sounds are put together....not how many filters/effects/layers they have.

I disagree, it's because the interface is simple. Anyone could jam on an mpc after a few hours of messing with it. It's really not difficult to use which is why it's popular. I used to have a 1000, and I loved it for what it was but after getting the mv I haven't looked back since. All in all you can't go wrong with an mpc if your just starting out or if your a seasoned producer.

Now if you want effects and layers the mpc 4000 was the best and still is the best in my opinion. Strangely it wasn't that popular because it offered so much that existing mpc heads didn't want to learn it cause it changed their work-flow, which is why they stepped it down to what it was before the 4000.

They made it simple again so anyone could pick it up and jam on it, like before. The 5000 is not too far behind but it's still lacking features of the 4000 that made it legendary to be called a 5000, maybe mpc 3500.

Last edited:
your pushing it a bit aren't you. 1 mpd, a computer, a top of the range computer software isn't a cheap thing to acquire....no?

my argument goes but usually doesn't pan out well.

when you get a mpc or modern hard-sampler you are not just getting pads you are getting the software which includes (in vision a generation game style prize line up)
a mixer
a sound editor
a recording device
a sequencer
all basic effects you would expect on your typical software
also having midi meaning means that this mpc can be used as a trigger
and with a jjos it makes a £200 mpc 1000 a professional and versatile bit of kit.

but my bias is that i'm also able to travel to gigs and the such without a hitch. my night job is that i'm a sound engineer for a club and i'm telling you the amount of times the apple has crashed mid performance which leads to 'someone' having to run from the booth all the way to the front just so i look like i'm the one who ****ed up. also when your typical firewire cable gets pulled out leading to a sound reminiscent of a elephant getting it's kneecaps blown in. again leads to me having to argue my wage at the end of the night.

not reliable i feel. daw's as a performance ting are flimsy as ****. but they will take over with the improvements across the board.just have a look around FP and you feel there is a sense of insecurity from guys with hard-samps who think they are being threatened or undermined by the software revolution.
very true. I am not bashing the mpc series. I am a Mpc 2000 owner. I just feel that as time passes people will go to software more and more. People are already realizing that they don't need a mpc and that for the most part they are really expensive compared to their software counterparts especially when you factor in the fact that you will probably be recording on a computer anyway.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

i think a lot of hardware keyboards have a similar hands on feel to the mpc. I also think that Remote in Reason is very close to that kind of hands on feel. I honestly in most respects prefer the hands on workflow of my EPS keyboard over that of my Mpc which I mostly like for the sequencer

Now if you want effects and layers the mpc 4000 was the best and still is the best in my opinion. Strangely it wasn't that popular because it offered so much that existing mpc heads didn't want to learn it cause it changed their work-flow, which is why they stepped it down to what it was before the 4000.

I feel you on the MV....I haven't used one but it's the same concept of having control over your sequencer at your finger tips. I think the ability to record audio into the sequencer is a place where the mpc got left behind.

As for the 4000, i wish my 2000xl could have real sounds (keyboards etc) in it. The 4000 seems like a good step up.

As for the guy that said reason with remote...what control surface are you using?

I feel you on the MV....I haven't used one but it's the same concept of having control over your sequencer at your finger tips. I think the ability to record audio into the sequencer is a place where the mpc got left behind.

I honestly loved the idea of the MV. It was exactly what I was looking for. A hardware sampler with the ability to run it on a big monitor and use a mouse if I felt like it. I had an MV-8000 for a while but the long ass load times were a killer. I couldn't stand it. Eventually I'll end up going full circle and go back to the MPC which I started with.

Did you do the one song per project technique? The load times are really fast if you do that. If you were trying to load all 16 songs and folders + samples and instuments then yea it'll take forever, one song per project makes load times reasonable.

And think about it, if your loading an 100 megabyte project,(idk why anyone would make a project that big anyway but its just an example) a decent internet connection would take about the same time to download the same amount of megabytes the mv loads. Had the same experience with my friends 4000 cause he didn't optimize his samples he had a lot of unnecessary megabytes to load and it took forever.

Anyway have you guys seen the yamaha tenori-on. It's pretty cool and its been out for a while. It reminds me of that instrument Roger Linn is designing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU_rG0w0bsA

Every since I got Ableton Live I haven't thought about hardware (MPC 2000XL) since.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I sold my MV to get the MPC. The MP had least feature but the workflow was a 100x better.

I honestly loved the idea of the MV. It was exactly what I was looking for. A hardware sampler with the ability to run it on a big monitor and use a mouse if I felt like it. I had an MV-8000 for a while but the long ass load times were a killer. I couldn't stand it. Eventually I'll end up going full circle and go back to the MPC which I started with.

I loved the idea also even though i went with a MPC 2500. I loved some of the features that made it DAW like, such as the monitor out and the ability to cut and paste with the mouse, etc. However when i messed with one in Guitar Center, at first it seemed very complicated to use and I walked right up to the MPC and figured out how to do a basic beat in minutes. Roland made the MV more complicated than need be considering how the Fantom sequencer is easy to use.

Roland made the MV more complicated than need be considering how the Fantom sequencer is easy to use.
yes, and then there's the Fantom... if i could get ANY kb workstation, i would choose that in a heartbeat... i cant see nothin it cant do... that to me, is a very well thought out machine.

da relic

Every since I got Ableton Live I haven't thought about hardware (MPC 2000XL) since.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I sold my MV to get the MPC. The MP had least feature but the workflow was a 100x better.

the way you've got things down... is the workflow of ableton on par with an mpc?

I've tried to use it before and it was no fun.

Last edited:
yes, and then there's the Fantom... if i could get ANY kb workstation, i would choose that in a heartbeat... i cant see nothin it cant do... that to me, is a very well thought out machine.

da relic
I find the Fantom to be well thought out also. I literally just walked up and pressed record and the sequencer window popped up with all the relevant settings boxes (bpm, count in, etc).

I love yamaha but I find their stuff to be the least user friendly.

the way you've got things down... is the workflow of ableton on par with an mpc?

I've tried to use it before and it was no fun.

I would say better my friend. I can do everything (sample, chop, play vsts, drum programming and sequence) in ONE app.

I can record a midi track into a Audio track if I need to send a session to someone who doesn't have the same vsts.

Also Ableton has you covered with Audio Effect Racks! It's like have a professional engineer by your side.

Live isn't for everyone but I think it's dope.

Last edited:
Back