Are we going to get ant new sampler hardware soon?

Is the Beat Thang still coming at all. I'd hate to see all that work go to waste. They put alot into it to make sure if would be nice.

I highly highly doubt it. The sampler market has pretty much all gone software. Most of the market has. The only thing that really sells these days hardware wise are synths as far as I am seeing. I hate to say it but I really feel the hardware sampler especially groove box (mpc, mc, mv, ect) may be a thing of the past

linndrum II will still happen.....they might cost $5k a piece by the time they get around to producing them.

Akai will continue to sell MPC's.

IMO controllers will come to resemble hardware samplers in their intuitiveness and number of embedded components.

Sorry to hear that about the Beat Thang. I had no intentions of buying one but I did appreciate the fact that they were making something specifically for the urban music market.

I hate to say it but you are correct Xabiton. Outside of keyboards, hardware is beginning to take a back seat. There just isn't any reason to justify spending $2000 on a MPC anymore. And I say that as a MPC owner.

Sorry to hear that about the Beat Thang. I had no intentions of buying one but I did appreciate the fact that they were making something specifically for the urban music market.

I hate to say it but you are correct Xabiton. Outside of keyboards, hardware is beginning to take a back seat. There just isn't any reason to justify spending $2000 on a MPC anymore. And I say that as a MPC owner.
not even all keyboards. I am surprised to see the new Motif but I have a feeling it will be the last of its breed. I think it maybe Yamaha's way of getting the last drops of juice out the glass before it expires. They know hardware's days are numbered and I am waiting for that day so i can find a motif XS rack for like $300 on ebay lol

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

beat thang really looks like an internet joke....
when I first saw it I thought it was. Then when I saw the product I said oh this is forreal and then the blantant spammers made it a joke again

Grab em while they're cheap, eventually all hardware are going to be sought after and worth alot, I know it, not cause of their functianlity or limitiations but the feel. I do like what elektron is doing though, the new octatrack looks promising.

Last edited:
they seem like clowns tho..... look at all the bugs akai's products have when they come out i gotta be a little skeptical

not even all keyboards. I am surprised to see the new Motif but I have a feeling it will be the last of its breed. I think it maybe Yamaha's way of getting the last drops of juice out the glass before it expires. They know hardware's days are numbered and I am waiting for that day so i can find a motif XS rack for like $300 on ebay lol

Pretty much as you said they are going to milk it as long as they can. You are bound to catch someone eventually that gets overzealous and starts unloading all of their hardware.

The industries conversion to software is good though. It opens up the market to many people who previously couldn't afford hardware.

they seem like clowns tho..... look at all the bugs akai's products have when they come out i gotta be a little skeptical
well its not like every akai product has ever been perfect. But the only ones that I have seen huge amounts of flaws in them were the Akai products that were put out by Numark. All of those products are really low quality compared to the traditional akai stuff.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Pretty much as you said they are going to milk it as long as they can. You are bound to catch someone eventually that gets overzealous and starts unloading all of their hardware.

The industries conversion to software is good though. It opens up the market to many people who previously couldn't afford hardware.
personally I dont give a damn about the guy who couldnt afford hardware before. It just floods the world with lack luster uninspired music aka modern hip hop

well its not like every akai product has ever been perfect. But the only ones that I have seen huge amounts of flaws in them were the Akai products that were put out by Numark. All of those products are really low quality compared to the traditional akai stuff.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

personally I dont give a damn about the guy who couldnt afford hardware before. It just floods the world with lack luster uninspired music aka modern hip hop

I meant the Beat Kangz seem like clowns....embedded software is hard to get right, i'm a little skeptical of their level quality assurance.

Lack luster uninspired music can come from any economic class....look at the 80s.

Honestly I think software is cool because it takes the economic cost out of the equation...music doesn't cost anything to make therefore is worth alot less, mass marketed garbage like 80s pop or modern record label hip hop can't be sustained in that environment.

Exactly, I'm not saying software is the problem with todays music, its ppl thinking they're producers just because they own the software.

Now they got iphone and ipad beatmakers, it's not a bad concept on the technology tip and I respect it, but now its going to get worse. Now anyone with a damn ipod could get music software through the app store, everyone is gonna run around thinking they're producers cause who doesn't own an apple product.

Last edited:
I can imagine a conversation analogous to this one taking place in the mid-late 90's talking about.....

"samplers are around $1000 now...any dj can think they're a producer now! this is outrageous!! they don't even need to know their way around the mess of racks and cables in a REAL studio or direct actual musicians!!! they don't have to compose their own music !?!?! they can just plug in a turntable and interpolate 2-8 bars to their hearts content!?!!? what!?!?!? this is horrible!!! the quality is going to go to hell!!!!!"

...and look at all the inspiration that era of sampling music with beat machines brought you.

it's not the tools it's the people... kids are making copies of the same track and getting it on the radio, its not going to last. genres will adapt to the new tools and evolve in time.

The future of hardware is with the guys who do it for the love of tinkering and are small enough to give a shit about selling a few hundred units to cover production and make some money for jam.

Back