Dr Dre, Neptunes, Timbaland, Kanye Drum Samples....How?

The best way, to me and what i witnessed in an actual dr. dre session, dre layers a Roland TR-909 deep kick, tuned to about -70 on the mpc's pitch adjustment, with a acoustic drum sample from a vinyl break, using the start and sample adjustments on the mpc, he can tightly adjust and isolate the "kick" he then uses the trigger mode to stack the 909 kick with the acoustic kick, that way the low end is automatic but the high and mids come from the acoustic kick. try it, you will be amazed!! your kicks will be almost perfect, of course a little eq'ing will help, but half the work is already done. I hope dre doesn't read this, i just gave out his million dollar secret!! most of the game does that to their drums!! trust me i seen it!>

Most of dr dre's drums, breaks where he samples off of comes from this record collection called "Dusty Fingers" check it out, it's got A LOT of the kicks and snares he uses and has used on the Chronic 2001 which was the first time people got to hear the "Best drums on the planet". also "Strictly Breaks" is a killer collection. Again the key to getting the low end is the TR-909 Kick/acoustic sample stacking method, that's all you need!!

Last edited by a moderator:
robbeatzmuzik said:
The best way, to me and what i witnessed in an actual dr. dre session, dre layers a Roland TR-909 deep kick, tuned to about -70 on the mpc's pitch adjustment, with a acoustic drum sample from a vinyl break, using the start and sample adjustments on the mpc, he can tightly adjust and isolate the "kick" he then uses the trigger mode to stack the 909 kick with the acoustic kick, that way the low end is automatic but the high and mids come from the acoustic kick. try it, you will be amazed!! your kicks will be almost perfect, of course a little eq'ing will help, but half the work is already done. I hope dre doesn't read this, i just gave out his million dollar secret!! most of the game does that to their drums!! trust me i seen it!>

Most of dr dre's drums, breaks where he samples off of comes from this record collection called "Dusty Fingers" check it out, it's got A LOT of the kicks and snares he uses and has used on the Chronic 2001 which was the first time people got to hear the "Best drums on the planet". also "Strictly Breaks" is a killer collection. Again the key to getting the low end is the TR-909 Kick/acoustic sample stacking method, that's all you need!!

daaamn, ya know man...you just dropped some serious knowledge right there if you saw the Dr. do that for yourself. that makes a lot of sense, and the 909 has always sounded nice, but too high pitched. dropping the picth would make it long, but he just chops the end off anyway. I knew he uses breaks (who doesn't) and I knew he was doing some sort of 'sub' thing to them, but I never knew exactly how. I thought maybe he was doing the side-chain w/ sine wave thing. But that method is way easier and ..now that I think of it, he probably just tunes the 909 and leaves the top kick as is. That sh*t is dope man.

I gotta ask..under what circumstances did you see this?? Please do tell more! (I'm a mod so I'll delete it afterwards if you want, but you got me amped! Tell us what you know!! :D )

interns are worth a million bucks!

I was fortunate to intern at Record One studios in Los Angeles where dre recorded a lot, got to see the setup and hear unreleased stuff, that's the beauty of interning, you don't make hella lot of money, but the sneaky stuff and roaming around is PRICELESS, also lot of top engineers there know your interning, they figure you will probably never get anywhere, but they are wrong, cause there leaking all this top info!! got lot's more secrets i will be revealing soon, here.

robbeatzmuzik said:
I was fortunate to intern at Record One studios in Los Angeles where dre recorded a lot, got to see the setup and hear unreleased stuff, that's the beauty of interning, you don't make hella lot of money, but the sneaky stuff and roaming around is PRICELESS, also lot of top engineers there know your interning, they figure you will probably never get anywhere, but they are wrong, cause there leaking all this top info!! got lot's more secrets i will be revealing soon, here.

Dog, I used to live literally right across the street from Record One! Dre was always hitting up the El Torito on the corner. :D But I never got inside that mug!! Man I seriously can not WAIT for the next tip you've got up your sleeve. (multiple quantizations with the same loop?) Thanks for sharing that, that's hella dope. It's funny you even put it like that "leaking all this top info"..cuz I'm like this dude who reads EVERY Dre interview, and EVERY interview with people that work with him (Big Bass Brian etc.), and I try to read between the lines to figure his sh*t out. Figuring out Dre's sound has been like a running science project. I'm pretty much convinced that Dre's 'secrets' are just that...'secret' little tricks he knows that he learned from better engineers, that he now uses to impart the 'Dre sound' to anybody's beat he mixes or works on. And if we (the unwashed masses) knew those secrets, we could all make Dre beats. ;)

Anyway, the fact that you saw him do that sh*t with your own eyes is some priceless sh*t homie! I owe you one already dog. A lot of peeps here might be like whatever, but I'm hearing you loud & clear. Teach us oh great one! lol aiight peace

Kick Drum Pitch Adjustment

on ANY mpc machine, in the window to edit the PARAMS, the top right corner set the pitch to -70, even up to -90 works, the set it "START" velocity and above that to about 15-20 to cut off the rumble at the end of the kick.

Yeah but I was wondering if its 70 semitones or 70 cents... Because the mpc's only go down to -36 semitones or something

What's the difference betwen Tune and Pitch adjustments on the mpc? In Program mode (Sample tab) you can adjust the Tune there...what does that do differently than adjusting the pitch in the params tab?

Tune

In Program mode>Params> use the "TUNE" parameter -70 / -90. It's easy because all the adjustments can be made on that one page.

robbeatzmuzik said:
In Program mode>Params> use the "TUNE" parameter -70 / -90. It's easy because all the adjustments can be made on that one page.

Is that different than changing pitch?

robbeatzmuzik said:

Are you sure it's in the "Params" mode and not in the "Sample" mode? Btw the "Tune" in "Sample" mode only goes down to -36 semitones.

Thanks

MrJames851 said:
Dre plays his drums live himself and then samples them and hooks them up to his liking (source: inaugural issue of Scratch Magazine)

Neptunes, Pharrell uses the drums on the keyboards or the ones Chad put on a hard drive for him to use (source: MTV article about Pharrell's album) and sometimes live sounds (source: Remix Magazine article w/ Neptunes), Chad hooks up the sounds on the keyboards, modules, ..., and he samples (he used to be a DJ) (source: Remix Magazine article w/ Neptunes)

Timbaland plays his drums live and tweaks them (source: Making the Band 3 episode showing him making the Danity Kane song - Right Now) as well as sampling (you can hear breakbeats he's used like the drums in Fabolous - Right Now & Later On for instance, coincidence that I used to 'Right Now' songs lol),he also has a lot of VSTi synth plug-ins on the computer (source: Remix magazine article with him, Missy & Jimmy D)

Kanye uses sampled drums (source: you can hear it if you know your breaks and old records, but he talks about it in different articles, and "sample disks", like the one he tried to copy from Eminem, usually means a producer's personal collection of drums they put together, like when you make your own presets)

he is totally right the spend just as much time making drums and mixing and so on just as making beats . thats why they are called producers

T

bigzone said:
if you're looking for a straight answer: dre uses vinyl, neptunes use real drums, timbaland uses keyboards/modules, and kanye uses sample disks. i'm probably 100% wrong, but there it is.

hahaha nice, but i kno timbaland uses lots of real drums, ive seen videos its pretty cool. mostly bongos and stuff.

Just remember, "knocking" drums on top of bullsh*t is still bullsh*t. Get that melody right first (or sample, depending on what type of producer you are) and then worry about the drums, but don't split hairs over meaningless stuff.

jizzer said:
man I'm gonna admit something....I've heard for YEARS about layering drums to make 'em sound bigger, but never really tried it successfully...so I tended to just find huge drums to begin with...but looking over an old "Production Tips" email from modernbeats it had a lil' tutorial, and after layering my sh*t up, I was able to get STOCK Reason drums to sound like Dre (o.k. 95% Dre;) )

...anyway, now I understand why dudes say 'it doesn't matter what drums you use'...because these dudes actually do know how to make a certain flavor of drums sound bigger and fuller if they need. So you could take some old ass drums and give them the Dre thump etc. but where they still have their old flavor.

any idea where i can get that production tips email?

Back