Article: Things I've been learning while at school

Taylor Swift = top of the music piramid. So hard to get to that level man of audio engineering. You'd have to be the absolute best, have experience AND connections....$5k can be made easier if you'd ask me.

Also I'm thinking of doing a weekly video of tips I learning while in school.

Great post! I'm interested in anything you have to share! Please let me know when you decide to begin putting up videos!

One topic I'm interested in the mixing area (which might be of general interest) is gain staging. Have been educating myself on how to get better mixes and things are improving significantly. One issue I've recently come across is that the level of the channel faders should always stay below the subgroup or master fader levels. So the master fader should always be higher than each of the channel faders. I think this may be the root cause of some fidelity problems I sometimes get in my mixes, especially when rendered out to MP3 after mastering. When I heard this "golden rule," I looked back at several of my mixes and saw that while I had not been following the rule, I had been compensating for it by lower levels of individual tracks through automation, because portions of a track might be fine at "full strength" but other parts needed to be turned down. So while the track fader might be higher than the group level, the actual volume was lower through automation. I see now that's a pretty convoluted way to do business and I'll avoid it in the future - but I'm also wondering how best to remix those projects where I broke the rule. I suppose one way might be that I could carve out the track portions that were OK at higher levels and put them on their own tracks, and then lower the overall level of the original track to be lower than the group and raise or eliminate the automation. Any ideas? Good mixing is certainly a learning curve, ain't it?

There is definitely money in live sound. If you're doing arena shows it's around 5k a week not month. 5k a month would be for someone just starting out.

Nailed it with this thread. I own a recording studio and charge premium rates. Occasionally people msg about our rates trying to compare our rates to other studios in Toronto. Its all fun and games until they come over for a consult. They see a 2000 sq foot facility. A control room, live floor room, isolation booth, writing rooms, completely sound treated. Compare apples to apples. Also nailed it with the comparison of a producer and a beat maker. Great job

Back