Your favorite indie may not be an indie

Any artist that's getting spin on radio and making major moves is backed by a major.

PERIOD.

The discussion seems more complex than signed/unsigned to a major rhetoric. So the question is what type of deals are these "mindie" artist signing?

The discussion seems more complex than signed/unsigned to a major rhetoric. So the question is what type of deals are these "mindie" artist signing?

kind of got me to wondering as well because it seems at some level you almost have to do a distro through the majors to make headway, I wouldn't call that a "mindie deal" really since it is created outside of the majors and could be a single shot contract with no obligation past that point.

This happens in the beer world all the time due to distribution laws especially when it comes to interstate distribution. It is a pretty crappy racket in both cases but until someone figures out how to ditch it then it may be a necessary evil for a while yet.

my thought on it though is that if a person could create enough noise organically they couldn't help but get spins on some level, but that would only work for independently owned radio or college radio, everything else is owned by Clear Channel and iheartmedia who won't play anything that isn't through soundscan or payola

kind of got me to wondering as well because it seems at some level you almost have to do a distro through the majors to make headway, I wouldn't call that a "mindie deal" really since it is created outside of the majors and could be a single shot contract with no obligation past that point.

This happens in the beer world all the time due to distribution laws especially when it comes to interstate distribution. It is a pretty crappy racket in both cases but until someone figures out how to ditch it then it may be a necessary evil for a while yet.

my thought on it though is that if a person could create enough noise organically they couldn't help but get spins on some level, but that would only work for independently owned radio or college radio, everything else is owned by Clear Channel and iheartmedia who won't play anything that isn't through soundscan or payola

Basically. But I don't think major radio play is needed to eat well. I think if you can get your net buzz on--utube, etc., you can do shows locally.
The mass distribution/promotion angle is where I think the indie acts struggle and the majors still have the upper hand. It takes a lot of time to build up a national or international distribution network. Not mention the cash u need to go do show a outside your home base. I know Tech9 is doing it, but he's been in the game a long time and he hooked up with a business partner who made the right moves years ago.
I would be interested in knowing if these pseudo indie artist bypass the 360 deals, and, if so, what kind on deals are cats like Logic signing.

For a one shot distro I wouldn't think it would be worth anyones time to sign or argue over a 360, but that is tough to say without ever having seen a one shot contract.

I remember signing up for some indie shit back in the 90's which turned up in my P.O. box as mail from Sony. Sometimes the majors acquire other labels or there is a distribution deal, but they also stand in the shadows if it suits the marketing strategy....a good example of such marketing would be that Lonleygirl15 shit, where advertising is disguised by way of product placement within some fake scripted bullshit that is passed off as reality......happens all the time, from Bear Grylls to them Duck Dynasty whack jobs there is often a need to paint things in a certain light to make it marketable......I mean who would want to watch a bunch of clean shaven Christian yuppies in pink polo shirts shooting ducks?.......It certainly ain't nothing new to hip hop either, one day Dr Dre is wearing lip gloss and fruity looking sequin outfits and the next day he is doing the gangster thing.

I would like to think that they would only sign distrubution deals...
- could just be a dream
There even giving rock bands 360 nowadays...

But i herd logic say he signed for all publishing and tour merch....
- said thats how he was eating already... so with the buzz it can only build....
I would hope he (others) aint gettin dicked around... but wouldnt be surprised either way

Back