Which Model Do You Prefer

• Yamaha Motif ES8

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Yamaha Motif XS8

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
B

biggs901

What's good FP members, right now i am about to purchase my first real keyboard, I've Tested out the ES8 already but I didn’t test out the XS8 yet because My local GC doesn't have them yet, but I’ve been hearing more bad things about the XS rather than good, , but anyway I just need some opinions on which one is the overall better machine :confused:

Umma be real with you... it's not about what you have, it's about mastering your production skills with what you have! I still have the OLD Roland Fantom and still use it more than my Fantom X6. Yes you may get more sounds with the XS, but it doesn't mean that you will use them or that they're sounds that fit what you want. I haven't used either of them, but to answer your question "which is the better machine", neither one. The best machine is you!!

Although that is very true, just something to think about- Someone with a Motif with no experience will create better sounding beats than someone with a casio with no experience

LMSCRU914 said:
Although that is very true, just something to think about- Someone with a Motif with no experience will create better sounding beats than someone with a casio with no experience

No......

They Won't..............:(

its obvious that better stuff does help dramatically . i recommend that you wait till you actually get to try the sounds and stuff from both of them before you make your own choice. I will tell you this though, if you are looking for good acoustic instruments , then the XS is definately the way to go. im just gonna wait for the rack

LMSCRU914 said:
... Someone with a Motif with no experience will create better sounding beats than someone with a casio with no experience
Nope, not likely. What's likely is that they will produce awful crap either way.

LMSCRU914
Registered User Join Date: Mar 2005

Don't agree, two negatives don't make a positive, that's simple math, But I do agree with Silent.

One thing though, I am both hardware and software person, the software with the XS is hot. If you have talent it's only going to enhance your sound, and we all can use enhancement even if we are talented, because the industry is always looking for that NEW SOUND.
I might get the XS I am very excited with that, I was playing it and it sounds good it's hot. I might get it don't know yet, I still have the Motif in Reason.

peace.

Why do you need the 88 key version for your first real keyboard. That is probably a waste of money

youngjboy said:
Why do you need the 88 key version for your first real keyboard. That is probably a waste of money

^^Very true statement. Unless you're a great piano player (I would guess that you're not or else you would most likely already have a keyboard or some type), and plan on performing live, I would say go with the 76 key. That's just my opinion though.. don't take my word as gold or anything, but for someone who doesn't have piano experience (not saying that you dont, but rather if you dont) you should be practicing finger placement and movement, then learn chords. You don't need 88 keys for that. Also don't get distracted by wanting to make a hot track and forget that you're not a good pianist and create some nitty ****. Learn learn learn... become an expert on what you use.

Hey I just noticed that the display is way bigger on the XS. What I personally prefer more but it's up to you.

SilentKillah said:
^^Very true statement. Unless you're a great piano player (I would guess that you're not or else you would most likely already have a keyboard or some type), and plan on performing live, I would say go with the 76 key. That's just my opinion though.. don't take my word as gold or anything, but for someone who doesn't have piano experience (not saying that you dont, but rather if you dont) you should be practicing finger placement and movement, then learn chords. You don't need 88 keys for that. Also don't get distracted by wanting to make a hot track and forget that you're not a good pianist and create some nitty ****. Learn learn learn... become an expert on what you use.

yeah i understand what you are saying, but i do know how to play a little, I'm not an Expert or anything but the studio i go to the owner owns a triton le with 88 keys and he's the person who actually taught me the what i know about playing, and he taught me on a 88 key workstation, but now i'm trying to purchase a keyboard of my own and the yamaha model is my number one choice, but i'm thinking should i just get the new XS8 or the ES8, but what i'm really trying to say is (for those who used or tested both models)do you think the new XS8 is worth an extra 1200$ ?

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is........ honest to GOD, this is the best sounding synth i've ever played...... and i've owned rolands, korgs, yamahas, kurzweils, alesis... old and new.....

No doubt that the Motif XS is a better machine. It can do everything that the ES can do and more. It has an all new soundset, and it also comes with the ES soundset as well. If you have the money, and you want a Motif, no need to buy the old one. Just grab the new XS.

Having owned an ES (still own it actually) and played around with the XS, personally I would take the XS. In fact I'm actually thinking about upgrading to the XS just because the sound quality of the newer keyboard seems to fit my style better. To me the ES sounds more vintage sounding, where-as the XS seems to sound a little more modern sounding. Its not so much in the sounds themselves that make it sound this way but rather, I think the converters on the XS are a little more clear and modern sounding than the ES. Just my 2 cents.

Do yourself a favor get a kurzweil pc3, it'll be your first and last keyboard. I don't think anyone could exhaust that board, ppl are still diving into k2000s which was made in the early 90s which tells you how deep their instuments are. If your only worried about the display and its neat colors, its not for you, if your a real musician and worried about sounds its your board.

Or get software and save a ton, I wouldn't recommend hardware to anyone just starting out.

Well I have my Motif XS and I am loving this thing, the sounds are so pristine, and being I have the DI box ports on my interface it just makes it sound even bigger! The sounds are modern sounds and it's just great for me. I mix those sounds with the Triton and Roland 3080 oh my goodness sound design heaven. :smokinFP: :bigeyes: who said the XF is coming?

Last edited:
Back