Yamaha Es Rack Or Roland VX 5080?

G

gnr2206

Im really unsure about which one to pick to be honest.

Im looking for a rack that can give me all the clear and defined strings but can also do good synth; i know the motif can do the string but whats it like on synth and i dunno what the 5080 is like for strings

Any help would be apprieciated!

Having a fantom rack and motif xs board, strings is a toss up. I prefer some of the fantom's orchestra strings, but the motif has some nice ones and nice pizzicatos also. Synthwise, I think Roland has a more agressive synth sound to it. The 5080 and the fantom have a lot of overlapping sounds and the 5080 is going to sound Rolandish, which try to emulate the JP 8000 sounds.

is there any songs that use either of these synths that i can listen to

i know the motif is used in some scott storch beats but dunno bout the xv, think he uses it also but dunno in what song

Both are good equip, but you should really invest into some VSTs more than factory sounds from those two bases. Sure you can bang out some things from those two machines, but overall there is a lot more quality sounds that exist elsewhere.

In today's music age, most people end up using most of those stuff like a MIDI anyways, and import their own sounds.

Both are good equip, but you should really invest into some VSTs more than factory sounds from those two bases. Sure you can bang out some things from those two machines, but overall there is a lot more quality sounds that exist elsewhere.

In today's music age, most people end up using most of those stuff like a MIDI anyways, and import their own sounds.

I tend to think that using well-designed modules such as the ES or XV saves time from sorting through and tweaking tens of VSTis while giving you instant quality. Everything from synth, bass, to drumkits are all ready-to-go and it makes ur song-writing process easy. Perhaps u can personalise your sounds a bit afterwards, but these modules by themselves sound adequate already for professional use.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

plus you get more value for what you pay imo, compared to VSTs. at used prices, you can pretty much buy and sell for a draw even if you're not satisfied with it. "investing" in VSTs dont give u back the values like 2nd hand HW do. I find it more wasteful when I buy a VST for $200 but ending up not liking it and having to sell for $50. With tons of VSTi options sometimes it's hard to choose which ones to pay up for.

Last edited:
I have had all of the sound modules.

The motif is my favorite overall. Insane quality and great patches. It is the most realistic module as far as realistic instruments. The basses,strings,guitars and keys are the best. The synths and drums are lacking a little and could be better. They seem very generic

Roland fantom. The realistic sounds are average. the guitars are very weak to me. It has very good electric pianos and brass instruments. I love the brass and horns on it. The synths are the best out of any sound module to me. It has sick pads also. The drums are not bad either,but I wouldnt really use them.

Roland 5080 is a pure beast and I plan on rebuying it 1 day. the expansion is the best thing about it. It can take 4 srx cards and 4 jv cards. It also comes with like 1200 sounds. There is a little overlap from the 5080 and fantom

I thought the 5080 sounded better tho,the sounds were more fat and crisp.Great overall from realist sounds to synths. You can find 1 for $600.

I wouldnt touch a korg board or module.

Although you can resell these modules and get your money back,vsts is the best bang for the money. You can easily get close to 10000 sounds for $600 or $700.

It depends on what you want tho. Do you great realistic sounds or better synths.I would def get a roland 5080 and sound srx cards over a yamaha motif rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to think that using well-designed modules such as the ES or XV saves time from sorting through and tweaking tens of VSTis while giving you instant quality. Everything from synth, bass, to drumkits are all ready-to-go and it makes ur song-writing process easy. Perhaps u can personalise your sounds a bit afterwards, but these modules by themselves sound adequate already for professional use.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

plus you get more value for what you pay imo, compared to VSTs. at used prices, you can pretty much buy and sell for a draw even if you're not satisfied with it. "investing" in VSTs dont give u back the values like 2nd hand HW do. I find it more wasteful when I buy a VST for $200 but ending up not liking it and having to sell for $50. With tons of VSTi options sometimes it's hard to choose which ones to pay up for.

I see your point, but I actually do own the Motif and various other hardware, and I still prefer quite more VST sounds than the stock sounds from the Motif even when tweaked.

I will say that the Motif ES series has some good strings and some synths on it, but you can find far more top quality pads, pianos, and a larger varierty of synths elsewhere imo.

My overall point was, as a producer, you do not want to "limit" your source for sound to one confined area, you want to be as diverse as possible and relying only on factory sounds isn't getting you far. Yea, some modules has a good large database, but nothing is sweeter than the ability to import your very own sounds.

Last edited:
Back