XR20 Help

AvidityBeats

Just getting in to production gear after a year of piano rolling and such in flstudio. I like Maschine but was in guitar center and the xr20 stood out more to me. I know maschine is the rage right now and agree its incredible just always been fond of akai but can't afford the new mpc's and love the sensitivity of the xr. Anyways
I have been reading a lot about the difficulty in playing it as a MIDI in to flstudio. Never sequenced in an mpc just assumed you could rec and track in them then export or play live through a daw. Any advice on the xr20 and if it is possible to plug it in to flstudio to record live play through it as other hardwares allow or is the xr20 strictly record in device and export when finished.

The XR20 has MIDI in and out as such it's not much different to hooking up an MPC via MIDI to a computer, you can make it slave or master, you can use it to trigger your software or use your software to trigger it, the only thing that is a bit disappointing is that the MIDI implementation is very basic, meaning that you can't do basic shit such as pan left or right via MIDI, you have to edit such things by menu diving which I think is a shit idea, I mean you can't even change the pitch of the drums without menu diving. There are two sets of stereo outputs so you just record from these into your DAW, there is no USB export or anything like that on the XR20. Although the sounds are different the XR20 is basically a re-boxed Alesis SR18.

Back