workstation for midi keyboard and laptop

Zee one

Hey guys Im looking for a nice little setup for my midi keyboard and laptop. I'd like to have a setup where my midi keyboard can be in front of me, laptop/monitor can be either hanging over they keyboard or be behind it...and I would use a wireless keyboard and mouse to control everything...

can anyone reccomend me some equipment that might be made for a setup like this or even if you have makeshift ideas that would be great, also Im looking for an affordable/comfortable chair :)

the more comfortable the setup the more I want to sit and do work!

Zach

Last edited:
What sort of budget are you working with? There are tons for basic workstations out there, but cost is what your going to have to consider first. This craft is expensive enough I ended up building my workstation desk. I purchased a desk from Ikea and created a shelf for my speakers and a lower keyboard tray for my 88 key Triton Studio. I don't have a traditional monitor I ended up finding a cheap vizio which works great. I couldn't find anything that was affordable when I was originally looking for a workstation. I've included the photo of my setup. I added wheels to the desk as well so I can move it around to get at cables when needed. The total cost for this mod:

Ikea desk $75.00
Wheels $5.00
Wood for shelf $10.00
Brackets for keyboard tray $8.00

IMG_0454.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice setup you have there. I think I will do the exact same thing you did! That's just what I had in mind... Thanks for your help!

I love the room I have as far as desktop space goes. I work on computers and go to school when I'm not doing the songwriting thing and I really needed the desk space. I just push all the gear back when I need the desktop space. I need to add one more support riser in the middle to keep the shelf from bowing.. I haven't had any issues so far... I rarely put anything there... because of the monitor. The keyboard tray is the real space saver... after moving it to the tray I now have more room in my space to have a mic boom. It's also more convenient no more reaching across to play piano parts then back to the recording button..whew that was a nightmare. My next studio project will be to reduce the sound of all my other computer gear in the closet I use for my computer lab. I have to almost shut everything down in there to record in my space.

Back