Why is everything so loud!?

omarbibz

Hey there,

So I finished producing a song and I'm starting to mix it (I'm using headphones, not monitors). Some of my instruments sound extremely loud even if I put the volume down till the end. However, when I take off the headphones and listen to it from regular computer speakers the instruments that I lowered are too low. How do I combat this issue?
I'm using Ableton

Here is the song, please check it out and tell me whats missing, this is the best I can do in terms of mixing and mastering:
www(dot)clyp(dot)it/5rwq521w (remove (dot) and place ".")

Last edited:
Sounds alright to me. Could do a bit better in the placement department. Where do your instrument sit. Smack in the middle, panned left or right. Could be your instruments and their frequencies are competing for the same piece of space. I love the heavy kickbass.

Distorted audio may also produce this "too loud" impression. Sharing your audio file is the best solution for further investigations.

Hey there,

So I finished producing a song and I'm starting to mix it (I'm using headphones, not monitors). Some of my instruments sound extremely loud even if I put the volume down till the end. However, when I take off the headphones and listen to it from regular computer speakers the instruments that I lowered are too low. How do I combat this issue?
I'm using Ableton

Here is the song, please check it out and tell me whats missing, this is the best I can do in terms of mixing and mastering:
www(dot)clyp(dot)it/5rwq521w (remove (dot) and place ".")

When I hear it the levels are ok (I'm listening on a middle quality pair of headphones)
Could it be that your regular computer speakers are just a bit rubbish and no amount of good mixing/mastering will make music sound good on them?

Try using a reference track of a similar style and comparing the relative levels of instruments in the mix. Make sure you adjust so both tracks sound the same volume overall.

Using a lossy player can't tell much. A wav download is much better.

Sorry I wont be able to attach a download since I dont want to risk the chance of anyone stealing the song. However, the song I uploaded was originally in WAV form.

Sometimes it can be the VST itself. Some tweaking may have to be done there. I've had the same problem for a while. I listen to the song on headphones, monitors, car speakers and the cheapy headphones. (Disclaimer: I am NOOOO professional)

Back