Where can I learn how to Sample more Effectively?

-/-

I mainly compose using VST's but I have a couple songs that I flipped. But now that Ive moved onto Maschine from FL I wanna know how I can sample/chop do all that and make a dope track. Right now i have a loop and I just threw some trap drums, sounds dope what I wanna take it to the next level. Sampling in FL works, but it sounds a little dull. Cant find any good vids on youtube jus wondering if anyone has any insight on this

It just takes practice.
Work on making various loops and then transition from loop to loop(smoothly).

Peace

YouTube is a great platform to learn sampling. Do not just watch tutorials on how to sample, but also watch videos of Kev Brown, 9th Wonder, Apollo Brown, etc... how they make their beats or chop their samples. This will definitely help you.

YouTube is a great platform to learn sampling. Do not just watch tutorials on how to sample, but also watch videos of Kev Brown, 9th Wonder, Apollo Brown, etc... how they make their beats or chop their samples. This will definitely help you.

Yeah he's right. Youtube is the best. Identify which producers you like then watch as many videos as possible. I noticed you said you switched to maschine. This channel is great for Maschine users. He covers it all from maschine tutorials to edigging and choosing the right samples.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HipHopRally/videos

Last edited:
The Timing of Samples on Maschine is a a tedious ***** to do...and I cant even get it right

Sounds like you may want to use other Daw's where you can import files rather than record them until you get the timing down. That's the good thing about FL studio. You may be better using the step sequencer or the Piano roll where you can drag wav files. There are many different ways to make beats. You can also quantize to fix your timing issues in Maschine as well. Just an FYI, being a little off is okay sometimes. That's what gives it natural swing like a musician.

Last edited:
The original hip-hop sampling artform is taking a piece of a song you like ( usually around 10 to 15 seconds ) , chopping it up ( or auto-chop ) and replay the chops to your own groove.

If you compose you can take it to the next level by sampling a loop and composing stuff over top of it ( This is what a lot of mainstream producers do also, J. Cole, etc. )

I love j cole as a producer. My biggest problem is finding the part of song that can be flipped because usually my fav. Part of the song isnt good for sampling atleast thats been my experence so far which its frustrating when people go "its easy just chop the fav part of the song" and I do and it doesnt sound right I think im gonna make a video of me trying to sample a song so someone can tell me where im going wrong

Learn to count rhythm.
i like to splice my loops by notes (eighth, quarter, sixteenth) and arrange the chops to my drum sequence. From there, its just adding a bassline and whatever else the song might need.

to sample easily with an MPC in FL Studio, you should use slicex bruh... you chop by adding markers and this is what will separate your chops. just physicallly hit the pad you want to program, right click on the marker and go to trigger note, on the far left it will say "Last hit" with the note of the pad you hit in parenthesis. do this with all your chops with the markers in the sample and get to flippin'

Back