What's The Hardest Part Of Being A Producer?

brandonhixon

What's your struggle? Working with artist? Getting paid? Getting placements? Understanding the biz? What the hardest part for you as a producer right now?

What's your struggle? Working with artist? Getting paid? Getting placements? Understanding the biz? What the hardest part for you as a producer right now?

I hate to generalize but producers have a hard time with the business part, marketing, promoting(I know there are exceptions). Making the music is the easiest thing for a producer.

Just my $0.02

I think the hardest thing for a Producer is getting paid especially when they are starting out and they are working with artists who are starting out. You have find multiple sources of income until your clients or you are signed/or you reach the level where you can work with signed artists/artist who have money to invest.

i would have to say for me dealing with super rich broke rappers a lot of people like so many of my beats that everyone keeps wanting me to join there camp be apart of there movement but i really just want to produce records and sell them right now so thats been my issue

Not hurting a sensitive person's feelings with honesty. Sensitive artist expect what they do to sound like what they hear on the radio straight from the mic. So it throws their swag off when what they hear sounds like something on the radio from their favorite artist....and you tell them to record it over.....and over...and over....and over because your ears are trained to hear those mistakes they can't hear. The recording process is very important. Very stressful on both ends sometimes.

Money? Well it depends on what people expect. If the mind frame is getting rich and famous then lmao!!!!! If it is to make some decent money then it's not really hard if the skills are their. It's a pretty big world out their. But the long term mental abuse is what people can't handle. It's not going to happen immediately. So I wouldn't say money over developing the skills to know what makes you worth money. Seriously.........how hard would it be to impress a rapper if you sound like what their imagination blast in their mind? Dude told me (somebody I was working with no charge) that a dude charged him $20 for 5 beats non exclusive.....said they were iight and the price was right...needed beats for a mixtape.......and he wished we were working like we used to because nothing he could find was messing with those beats. IT WASN'T MY BEATS BEING BETTER AT ALL. It was the love I put into those songs we created. Me telling him do this over.......add some adlibs......me bringing new ideas out of him he wouldn't have thought of with others or by himself......the mixing......the engineering.......telling him to move the mic from the corner and turn the A.C off.....me adjusting the gain so it ain't clipping.....me telling him to don't take a break while in that zone because I know if he do he is not going to perform like he is now ect. I made those songs sound like something.....fuuck the beats. We cool now because he finally understood that. It takes for a person to get away from you for a little while to fully understand what you did. It ain't about the money. Buy some shoes with that bullshit change made for a beat. I want more than that for the artist. Hell I'm busting my ass for just to have shit sitting? Want them to do more than sit back and listen with a mind stuck in a pipe dream comparing the music to what's out. That shouldn't be extracurricular shit as a producer......YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS SHIT. Not saying that in a way that I'm perfect or nothing.

I used to rap a long time ago myself. I understand my mistakes from then and it's funny to me now. So I can tell a rapper WHAT NOT TO DO because of that humor of myself doing the same shit way back.

Last edited:
Great comments!!! Is there anywhere you go to look for help? Are there any good resources out there?

5b8bc29f986911e0905212313b10052d_small

"Look no further fella, ya found it!"

It's the cut throat nature of everything. It's how beats got to be $0.99.

Most people can't handle too much frustration. 95% of "beat customers" would like to haggle you down to "free".

Nothing is frustrating to me.

I have a plan and I do not compromise or make exceptions unless a large sum of money changes my mind. Even then, sometimes it is not worth the hassle to change my work flow. Having a plan, a workflow, and talent helps me to make all the music I want without worrying how "the game" is functioning.

Back