Whats So Great About Pro Tools 9

• Thread starter Ghetto Style Musik
  • Start date
G

Ghetto Style Musik

why is it so great?

is it way better than Pro Tools 8?(other than adding a few adjustments i guess)

because ive been still trying to buy Pro Tools

i want to buy the AVID PRO TOOLS MBOX MINI(cuz it comes with pro tools 8)

but i heard Pro Tools 9 has this new feature than PT8 didnt have (LATENCY something)

It's the first upgrade that allows you to use any audio interface from any company. Until version 9 u had to use Avids interface in order for pro tools to work.

ADC aka Auto Delay Compensation
Up to 96 tracks a session (PT8LE only goes to 48)
Any Interface you choose
And I believe you can record at up to 192k sample rate.

Yes. You can use ANY audio interface to open a Pro Tools session. Also, you can open your Reason or FL Studio songs in Pro Tools. Included MP3 export. You can work with Time Code Ruler for easier video mixing.

correction:

You STILL can't use an AudiomediaIII, Digi001, or original MBox with PT9.

Meanwhile, a Soundblaster Live or Audigy will work just fine when KXProject drivers or ASIO4All is used.

^Avid is greedy as all hell. No demos for PT 9. Just gotta cough that cash up if you want it.

Nothing is great about it... Nah I just dont like Pro Tools. The delay compensation is huge though. I bought PT 8 and just never really liked it. I got it cause I needed PT for some work. Personally I use cubase and love it. Had sx2 forever and finally bought 5 last year. As far as pro tools goes the new long overdue features in 9 are worth getting 9 over 8. The whole delay works as follows.

In 8 and earlier all the plugins you add to a individual track adds a certain amount of delay. Unless you use the same plug in chain on all channels some will have longer or shorter delays in the time it takes to process that sound. So the fix was do your mix and nudge tracks back to being in time. My drums would always be way out of place due to the amount of plugs i used on them. The nudge fix was always frustrating imo. The delay compensation essentially internally delays all your tracks to the track with the most delay, so everything in your mix will always be on point and in time. Saves time and headaches. If your set on PT get 9 as update support for 8 is more than likely over as 9 is out. There may be minor updates but no new features will be added to 8 via updates. Also the whole getting away from locking protools to digi hardware is a big step in the right direction for avid.

Last edited:
Use whatever floats your boat but...

PT9 has:

ADC (auto delay compensation)
You can use any audio interface or none at all
96 tracks
96 khz
way more busses
MP3/OMF import and export

They basically just destroyed almost all it's old weaknesses. Still left are VI performance and freeze tracks. But it's a HUGE leap.

Quick question........ do u have to use iLok with the pro tools 9 if you buy it the the mbox 3RD generation..........??!??!???.......

I know the previous mbox 2 along with pro tools le 8 didnt need the ilok....

As a PTLE8 user, I don't think it's worth the ridiculous amount of money they charge to crossgrade to PT9. PT8 runs flawlessly on my 13" Macbook Pro and the new Avid Mbox 3 interface is the best gear purchase i've made.

As a PTLE8 user, I don't think it's worth the ridiculous amount of money they charge to crossgrade to PT9. PT8 runs flawlessly on my 13" Macbook Pro and the new Avid Mbox 3 interface is the best gear purchase i've made.

It's only $250 to crossgrade which isn't bad compared to the regular $600 price.

$250 is a lot to crossgrade when I just bought an Mbox3 2 months ago and they still bundle it with PTLE8 and not PT9. And $600 is ridiculous for only PT9 with no hardware when the Mbox3 bundle is cheaper at $500! Avid is greedy

Ya the biggest reasons to get 9 over 8 are any interface, more tracks and ADC. I'd go for 9 over 8 any day.

Quick question........ do u have to use iLok with the pro tools 9 if you buy it the the mbox 3RD generation..........??!??!???.......

I know the previous mbox 2 along with pro tools le 8 didnt need the ilok....

Yup, with PT9 you still need the iLok... even with an MBox connected.

Back