Whats a good step sequencer for mac?

N

NathanPhelan

Hello everyone, I used to use FL Studio back in the day when I had a PC. I've been out of production for a while but now I would like to get back into it. Now that I have a MAC I see that I cannot simply buy FL Studio for it. What digital software audio workstation would closest resemble Fruity loops, I really enjoyed the step sequencer and that is mainly what I am after, I am also a fan of FL Studio's pricing options.

Thanks for your help, I tried searching this topic but had no luck.

I fully understand your situation. I am in the same boat. I have done plenty of research lately and it comes down to FXpansion Geist, Motu BPM and Ultrabeat (logic). There are more good sequencer, but these are pretty close to FL studio.

In my experience, Ultrabeat in Logic is set up similar to the way midi is mapped in FLS. (although I haven't used FL for about 7 years now, but it seems FLS has maintained the focus on grid based sequencing). You can do the sequencing within Ultrabeat, and drag your pattern to the arrange window, which converts it to a midi container which can then be accessed/adjusted/modified thru the piano roll.

In this screenshot, I am demonstrating a basic pattern in Ultrabeat, which has been dragged into the arrange window, and is now in the form of the Red Midi container labelled Ultrabeat, which I have opened in my piano roll.

So this screenshot basically shows three key aspects of where the midi data is sequenced/edited/contained using Ultrabeat: Ultrabeat -> Arrange -> Piano Roll.

Ultrabeat.jpg

I hope this helps give you more of an idea. Lemme know if you have more questions.
Dan

Are your drums adjusted to the swing in the piano roll? If so, what is it called in "Hyper draw" (The yellow lines below the piano roll).

When you drag a pattern in from ultrabeat, it keeps whatever swing you gave it in the sequencer. I feel like you would want to use the hyper editor versus hyper draw to select and quantize to apply a particular swing or groove to single hits or portions of a pattern that require more than basic quantize->swing that is easily done in the piano roll.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Oh, and, to clarify, in the screenshot, the hihat pattern is the only sample with significant swing applied.

Normally, you apply same swing for the whole sequencer, all the drums in other words.

So lets say that you changed your mind, and want to reduce the amount of groove for all drums. Do you have to adjust that in ultra beat, and then drag the a new pattern to the song? (It's important with a effecient work-flow).

Also, how do you adjust swing in hyper edit, I dont have that option.

u won't find an application like fruitloops on MAC but u can get close with ableton live. fl has 2 feature that make it different from traditional DAW: its step sequencer-sampler and its pattern sequencer. for the step sequencer sampler, ableton drum rack can be a substitute for the pattern sequencer look in to ableton live session view.

If you have used the note repeat function on the MPC or SP1200 :check The NOTE REPEATER aplication on the MAC App store. There is a video on youtube: NOTE REPEATER smk7dev

Back