What it gods name is a buchla 222e

Yeah, Don Buchla is famous for dismissing the regular keyboard as the input method for a synthesizer - the main idea being something along the lines that a futuristic instrument shouldn't be tied to traditional control paradigms. It's obviously a bit hard to look at the whole concept now that the whole thing's been so long established - even to the point that synthesizers are often just called "keyboards" and vice versa...

Buchla is a true pioneer - perhaps the only one still left from the early days. I've always viewed him as a sort of anarchistic version of Bob Moog - refusing to conform to the norm. If I ever strike it rich, a System 200e is certainly on the shopping list.

I had $20k once, I used it to buy a house. But there was a moment there where I though to myself "well I could buy a Buchla".

i've remember seeing some of these devices before. i had no idea of the huge cost though!!

the main idea being something along the lines that a futuristic instrument shouldn't be tied to traditional control paradigms. It's obviously a bit hard to look at the whole concept now that the whole thing's been so long established - even to the point that synthesizers are often just called "keyboards" and vice versa...

that's a very interesting point. i guess now it only seems almost natural that a synthesizer should be controlled via a keyboard. i will say though that the keyboard is a brilliant control device and the most logical when looking at already established instruments. i will have to investigate other control devices and see if they offer an advantage or are just different for the sake of it.

Keyboards don't do portamento as naturally as as some other interfaces, as well as sustain and muting, and some of the dynamics aren't as easily articulated on a keyboard. Of course it does other things great, and there are work-arounds to handle its shortcomings.

Back