What is your biggest frustration?

Jeff Young

Hey Producers & Soon-to-be-Producers,

what is your biggest challenge in becoming a successful music producer?

(e.g. to produce high quality sound, to have contacts into music business, to learn music theory, to stay creative, to finish tracks you started?)

I am really curious what your challenges are!

Best,
Jeff

Last edited:
broke artists would probably be the biggest challenge out here now

that a lot of producers are giving away free beats

that there are tons of beats for $5

now for me I don't care about those challenges as I work a different angle
which is direct messaging and building genuine relationships

knowing exactly how i want something to sound such as a powerful lead synth, dirty gritty bass but not having the experience to create it. It holds me back so much and is so frustrating when you have the melody, instruments and structure all down. I dont let it bother me too much because ive only been taking it seriously for the past 3 months but if anyone has tips, tricks or links please share :)

Sampling is easily one of those for me, bearable with wavepad however.
Synthesis is another one, but I enjoy this one a lot.
Being able to tell which note is which, but not to the point of naming letternums during a melody in realtime.20bpm is the fastest i can think of a melody by the notenames instead of humming nameless pitches.

I do not understand that at all.I know how all the keys sound but cant think of their labels in realtime.
-____-*

Last edited:
my biggest frustration has been my image. Getting my image up and creating the tone I want for my fans and I, but this seems to be coming to an end.

Another fustration is that I have to compete with mr.smith. I feel like there are so many clones, and they are just tough to surpass, but it is possible. The biggest frustration that you can't over come is there is not a enough time to make it all.

mixing (getting that "high quality" sound), being heard, networking. Being able to create exactly what I'm hearing in my head was a good one too.

Time.
Being all grow'd up with responsibilities. Jobland, kids sleeping (don't when dad is nextdoor banging the pads), etc
Don't get me wrong. I love my life and my missus is massively supportive. But time making music is both precious and limited.
i get frustrated by a lack of time to make music and that I have to do things in stages because I don't have time to finish anything in the same session as I started.

Ear training. I have a loooooooong way to go until I'm BC level, and its especially frustrating when you (might possibly) have diminished hearing. I just keep telling myself its worth it and dedicate whatever hearing I have left to being able to hear these chords and intervals. Having the ability to not only understand what I'm hearing but to also be able to play it on my instrument is the true prize.
Sight-reading is another area causing me some frustration right now, but I just have to keep at it and not try to sprint before I can stride confidently.

I'm not sure how you define successful producers, however, my idea of successes are currently realized by as obtaining enough paid gigs to support the lifestyle I choose for myself; not necessarily that which others try choosing for me. It's frustrating when my creative abilities are restricted due to a lack of time, money or any other cognitive clog. There are tons of frustrations associated with this field of work usually revolving around money, time, connections skill sets etc.; and they're all worth overcoming...

Having a good part of a project done but not knowing how to make the right transitions/breaks etc.
By the way, Im new here.. should I introduce myself somewhere? :)

I just want that 1 hit. I hear music that is awful and they got their 1 hit somehow. Let me have that 1 hit, even if it's awful. lol

The constant stream of so called newer improved upgrades/ computer tech - both software and hardware, marketed in ways to convince us it can enhance our workflow and will elevate our creativity, of course, how could we live without it? :rolleyes:
Simple, establish your goals to identify your own needs.

Last edited:
My biggest frustration is trying create something that i actually like, I am almost never happy with the tracks that I try to make.

Back