What is the biggest music biz turn off to you?

BiggRome 2.0

Can you dig it ?
What is the biggest music biz turn off to you?

Indie, Major, Bedroom hustle or whatever...

I just read the Drake thread... smh. There's something wrong with somebody screwing you out of money - even if you're rich.

(or perceived to be rich)

Biggest turn off for me is that you can't trust anybody - it seems.

... at my job, I can trust my boss (and I know this from a story I wish not to reveal here)

Politics. Deals aren't made based off of merit/talent. They are made off of "relationships", "favors" and obligation.

Also, the lack of ethics. The notion of "conflict of interest" doesn't really exist in the music industry. Ethics has been replaced by "What's In It For Me?".

That's why I like working with non-music industry people. They are so excited about the music, because it's new to them...they aren't jaded. And I'm excited about teaching them how to protect themselves.

I just gave a client a quick and dirty lesson on copyrights, publishing and royalties. I could have ganked her for all of her shit, cuz she knew NOTHING. But I value my integrity, and I genuinely enjoy helping people to help themselves.

The smoke in mirriors. People fronting like they are factors and aren't in real life. dudes trying to pose as the king of the parking lot, in reality they have nothing to show for anything.

the "oh i got a record label" with no paperwork,
the "oh i'm an artist" with no music

etc. just be honest with me and let me know what you need and don't try to put up a front.

People who talk a bigger game than what they can deliver.

I admire confidence and excitement but it's tough to not get jaded hearing the same thing over and over again. You've all heard it:

"Bruh we gonna blow up over this"
"I liked those beats, I'm gonna record to em tomorrow"
"Yeah I can get you placed on Prince's new album"
"Yo I was just partying with Pitbull we up next!"(Nicca you were in the SAME CLUB nowhere near him)

Last edited:
You have to be a lil dishonest and sneaky to get somewhere. And when you're not sneaky and dishonest not only do you always miss out, but people still treat you like you're being sneaky and dishonest because being genuine makes no sense in this biz.

Unfortunately, I can't think of one area of professional life where honesty is rewarded. Everybody running game.

Unfortunately, I can't think of one area of professional life where honesty is rewarded. Everybody running game.

fake it to you make it?????
while working hard on true credibility????

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

For real don't nobody NEED music man it's just a free thing we all take for granted like Air now. they aint gonna pay for it no more. Money only coming from side effects of music... music itself is worthless now. Somebody always gonna take less than the next till it goes alway the way down to sucking dick for a placement. You can have the stars damn near align and still not get the shine homie. Just open a restaurant we still gotta eat.. you make that joint taste good and get a lil promo and you will get your money mane... you will be good... at least till that that food materializer joint from Google comes out and changes the game.

For real don't nobody NEED music man it's just a free thing we all take for granted like Air now. they aint gonna pay for it no more. Money only coming from side effects of music... music itself is worthless now. Somebody always gonna take less than the next till it goes alway the way down to sucking dick for a placement. You can have the stars damn near align and still not get the shine homie. Just open a restaurant we still gotta eat.. you make that joint taste good and get a lil promo and you will get your money mane... you will be good... at least till that that food materializer joint from Google comes out and changes the game.

Music itself is not worthless. Music is one of the most valuable things on the planet. When a 50 year old catalog (The Beatles) is still generating hundreds of millions of dollars every decade? And it's revenue is just INCREASING?

You name me one other commodity that does that. Don't even tell me Apple stock. Cuz 10 years ago, apple was virtually nothing. 10 years before that IT WAS ON THE VERGE OF RUIN.

During that same time, The Beatles Catalog was generating about 50-60 Million dollars PER YEAR. Of OLD SONGS.

People need music. Think about what things would be WITHOUT music. What would your car ride be without music? What would your wedding be without music? What would TV shows be without music? What would Movies and Commercials be without music? What would NIGHT LIFE be without music? What would VIDEO GAMES be without music??

Music completely sustains these industries. If there was no such thing as music, the TV, Movie, Video Game and Club industries would DIE OFF. Music is INVALUABLE to these industries in 2012.

Music is more valuable than it's ever been, at any point in human history. But the ways of making money from it has changed. That's the issue. You can't just make money from SELLING music anymore. It has to be packaged with something else.

For real don't nobody NEED music man it's just a free thing we all take for granted like Air now. they aint gonna pay for it no more.....

Good metaphor (air=music, you could've used water=music), but you missed the point.

When you travel to some fancy location/on a vacation, you pay for the clean air and the blue water.

So in the end, it's the quality of the air and the water that people pay are still willing to pay for.

Back