What if you purchase a verse from an A or B list rap artist and it was A$$ ????!!!!

How would this work? Could you ask for a new verse or are you just assed out? Lets say you get a verse from Nikki Minaj. Send her the beat. You get the song back with her vocals on it and its the wackest crap you've ever heard in your life. Resolution?

Its like putting your money into a slot machine, Sometimes youll walk away with the jackpot... sometimes youll walk away with shit.
My resolution... dont buy verses from people haha.

You didn't pay them for a verse. The real reason you went for them is to use their name/brand in association with yours, to boost your own visibility.

So regardless of what their verse sounds like, you got what you REALLY paid for...which is the "FEATURING NICKI MINAJ" on your track.

Yea but i see what he is saying though.. I feel you on the you are paying for her brand and shit, but its also the feeling you get when you hear the weak raps and be disapointed to an extent, like forreal? that ***** spit hard on so and so's beat, but she spittin this wak shit on mine, now nobody is gonna wanna even listen to my shit.. a nice beat cant always save a wack verse, therefore you are the track people always skip over.

just a thought, but isee what you guys are saying..

I remember this dude in the neighborhood thought he was big shit. Telling everybody he was signed and he was recording with 8Ball and all of this other shit. I listen to his "terribly mix" song.......it had the same 8Ball verse that I heard on four or five other underground songs. The same with Bun B. lol! These weren't mixtapes back then, they were these dudes so called albums. Their name and title on the CD cover real small.....BIG ASS FEATURING EIGHTBALL INSIDE A SEAL on the front. LMAO!!! The song is about a certain topic....Eightball rapping about himself....shit didn't match the song. He didn't care....because HE MAJOR NOW THAT HE GOT 8BALL on the track.

When you start paying rappers for features...you got to be fully prepared to go full steam with it or it's a waste of money. Don't use it to fake the funk.

Last edited:
I would just take it as it is and see if i could sell the verse to someone else

Hell, you gotta cross your fingers when you SELL a rapper a beat. Hope that the song doesn't come out A$$, lol. Sux worse when you pay them. Lol.

I understand the concept of paying someone for a verse, but that's so dumpster juice. Mine as well just pay them to hang out with you at the mall for a few minutes, even if they distant, you still closer to them than anyone else. Nicki be like don't touch me.

Might as well just pay them to hang out with you .

That's what club promoters do, its usually labelled "special guest appearance by _____" on the promo flyer or in industry terms a 'walk thru'. The next step up would be for the artist to officially host the show/event/party which will cost you more (sometimes they may throw in a 1 song performance). This gravy trail is not only limited to artists but to anybody out there that are currently in the midst of their 15 minutes of fame from actors to comedians, reality TV stars, video vixens, radio personalities, etc...

In regards for paying a notable artists to jump on your track not only are you susceptible to receiving a throw-away verse (especially if you have not built any kind of following on your own and they're just looking at you purely as a quick check) but your liable to get RIPPED OFF by a so-called 3rd party middle man that will just pocket your money and run off to the hills without the artist ever knowing about the situation. So thread very carefully in this part of the game

Last edited:
Not cool.

Not cool? I disagree.

If I were to demo the beat and verse to a rapper or manager and they wanted to buy it off me what would not be cool about that?

I would let them know about the situation and if they still wanted the song, BAM, I'm happy, their happy, I could care less about the thoughts from the artist I originally got the paid verse from. As long as there is no legal issues involved with any of the people/contracts involved I would be all for that outcome.

Could be getting ripped off by the middle man, could also pay say nikki for her "time" say 10k, then young money comes along and makes you take it off youtube, iTunes etc. because they didn't clear it. They could just not allow you to release it, or make you pay them a clearance fee....which is going to be a lot more than the artists' fee. Better off going with s'one who is independent and buzzing.

Back