What I Learned About Commercial Mixes (RECAP)

acetheface954

Inspirational Thread
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...hat-i-learned-making-commercial-mixes-528340/

For so many years I've been trying to make music (house music). Music that I thought was rebellious and far apart from commercial works heard on the radio laced with vocals only to discover years later that it (that EDM sound) would become the new thing which pretty much is sharing space with everything under the sun now... ON THE RADIO. That small, insignificant niche market made up of no name producers and DJs who are now household names that I thought would accept my style has now turned pop which now means I have to make pop music. Or do I? My faves don't make long 6-8min club mixes 99% of the time anymore so why am I LOL? They've got short attention spans for God's Sake. Seriously, who's going to sit there and listen? They (my faves) are now following the rules of commercial radio by making their tracks at 3-4min lengths which makes sense seeing as how they cater to more listeners now. Listeners who would identify with what I make. Luckily for me I don't mind changing with the times. If that pop sound is what's needed then I'm going to take it there.

So my message is this. Change with the times. Don't stunt your growth by avoiding the signs and continue to make what you think is still relevant when it isn't. If your favorite act has stopped then you might want to consider that a sign that things are different now. Just a thought.

Back