What do you think it really takes to be succesfull in the music industry?

brandontomei

I've always wondered what it truly took to be successful in the music industry, making your own songs/beats/albums.

I actually wrote a blog post about this in which I quoted three very successful people such as J.Cole, 40 Noah Shebib, and Bruno Mars. Check it out on my blog page at www dot brandon tomei dot com

Post your answers on what you guys think will help us become a success. I want to know what other real producers think. Thanks.

Honestly it really comes down to if you have it or not. Somebody who doesn't. " have it "could go to school for 5 years to learn it but would only make it to the skill level of the guy who "has it" that just started out. To be exponential in this field you must be born with it. This goes along with anything. I've seen a lot of "producers" that have been doing it for 6+ years make complete shit. It's a hard industry

How do you measure the success? Which unity must be used? Dollar, like, view, fan, download, CD, ticket for live performance, cover done from your song, what will remain of your work in 100 years?

Last edited:
I've always wondered what it truly took to be successful in the music industry, making your own songs/beats/albums.

I actually wrote a blog post about this in which I quoted three very successful people such as J.Cole, 40 Noah Shebib, and Bruno Mars. Check it out on my blog page at www dot brandon tomei dot com

Post your answers on what you guys think will help us become a success. I want to know what other real producers think. Thanks.

I think the way you do it is key, so that your inspiration helps to get more things done. You need to effectively deal with the short term issues so that you spend enough time on the long term issues rather than get stuck with the short term issues. You also need to expand your knowledge base very steeply, meaning you need to spend enough time learning all aspects of the business and adapt to its changes. And I think that it takes a lot of discipline allowing yourself to fail and to not repeat your mistakes. I agree with Mad Phonetics that you need to be friends with taking risks, it takes balls. :)

Last edited:
Not being scared to fail, a lot. It will take a lot of planning, and good timing (I'm not talking musical timing, I mean knowing when to drop a project you've been working on at the right time).
A lot of hard work, sleepless nights. The ability to not just look at things straight on but to take a step back and look at things, so that you have a better idea on how they can pan out.

Definitely perseverance, keep working on your craft and I bet people will start to take notice - it's just how you decide to take advantage of that.

Just my two pence.

Back